The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Bunny

Front stuffer in .36???

Is there a manufacturer making a new .36 cal. muzzleloader in a hawken style these days.
Old January 17, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
B.L.E.

Green Mountain used to make drop in replacement barrels for the TC Hawken rifles. These were available in a variety of bores including .36.

I have a TC Hawken with a GM .36 barrel in it and have won quite a few matches with it. Hornady 000 buckshot comes in 5 lb boxes and is about perfect for this barrel while being considerably less expensive than sold-for-muzzleloading round balls. For the perfect powder charge, look on the ground and pick up an empty .223 case and use it to measure a charge of FFFg.

If you can't find a drop in replacement barrel, you can always buy a blank barrel and breech it yourself and install sights etc.

Last edited by B.L.E.; January 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old January 18, 2009, 12:45 AM   #3
mykeal

There are no new manufacture .36 cal plains style rifles being made today.
Old January 18, 2009, 05:01 AM   #4
arcticap

There's several .36 models available, but just not in
the Hawken configuration with a half stack, curved
buttplate and double triggers.

There's the discontinued CVA Bobcat:

http://www.possibleshop.com/cva-rifles.htm

The Pedersoli Frontier Carbine:

http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif1.htm

And then there's the Traditions Shenendoa is a Kentucky style rifle
that has a 33.5 inch barrel and a full stock. It's interesting to note
that their popular .32 Crockett .32 is a 1/2 stock with a .32 inch
barrel that more resembles a plains rifle, but the Shenendoa has
an extra 1.5 inch barrel and they turned it into a Kentucky.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/es...Code=R21268101

Old January 19, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
B.L.E. + 1 Green Mountain used to make drop in replacement barrels for the TC Hawken rifles. These were available in a variety of bores including .36.
If you want to go with the Hawken style, this is a very good way to go with T.C. I use to have a .32 drop in barrel for my T.C. Hawken style and keep in mind that this has the same outside dementions as the .50 and makes for a heavier rifle. My .32 weighed more with than the .50. You may even have a choice on the twist. Been awhile since I went into the GM site but have seen them in there. You would have to find a used .50 or .45 and drop in the new barrel. Great platform and fantastic barrels, for the money.

Be Safe !!!
Old January 19, 2009, 05:40 PM   #6
kwhi43

That is what my wife uses. A GM drop in only in .40 cal. She took off a inch
or so off the back of the stock so it would fit her. Cut the barrel back to
29 inches. Nice little compact gun. Really shoots
Old January 19, 2009, 06:20 PM   #7
pohill

Could someone explain to this short-gunner how a drop-in barrel works? It's not the same as relining, right?
Old January 19, 2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Blankwaffe

A drop in replacement barrel from someone like Green Mountain is a complete barrel assembly which includes the bolster/breech plug,nipple and ram rod.
For instance,the Green Mountain IBS barrels for the Thompson Center Hawkens and Renegades are designed to drop right into your existing stock.You may have to do a slight amout of fitting to the barrel channel and thats about it.
I picked up a couple well used Thompson Center Renegades for a song and a dance from my local gunshop last fall.One had a completely rotten barrel,so I went with a Green Mountain .54cal. 1 in 70" twist 32" replacement barrel.
I had to do a slight amount of sanding to remove excess varnish from the barrel channel in the stock,but that was about it.Hammer/cone alignment was perfect,and much better than the original barrel.
All I can say is the Green Mountain barrels are worth every cent as they have probably the best bores I have seen available for a side lock rifle.Certainly much better than what comes on the TC Hawken style rifles,not to even mention the Italian reproductions.
So yeah I'd keep and eye out for a good used TC hawken style rifle at the gunshops.Usually they start showing up in gunshops during muzzleloading hunting season here and Im sure its the same where you are.The condition of some of the bores on used guns is rather poor in my experience,but all you really need is the stock and lock assembly and you can make what you want out of it.
Im in the process of fitting and finishing one of Track of the Wolf's Hawken full stocks in fancy maple for the .54cal. Thompson.That should be an outstanding plains setup when Im done.Cant wait.
Anyway,what I have spent so far on my endeavor is still much less than what a new TC Hawken would have cost me from the start.Plus I have two very nice shootin rifles.

Last edited by Blankwaffe; January 19, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:01 AM   #9
williamfeldmann

It's not a Hawken...

but Cabelas sells their Blue Ridge Rifles which are a traditional style (I don't know if they a reproduction or modified Kentucky) in both .32 and .36 and in both flint and percussion. They aren't too bad looking or priced. I think they have a Crocket rifle also, it might be the one pictured above with the half stock.

Cabelas Blue Ridge Rifles
Old January 21, 2009, 03:23 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
It's not a Hawken...
but Cabelas sells their Blue Ridge Rifles which are a traditional style (I don't know if they a reproduction or modified Kentucky) in both .32 and .36 and in both flint and percussion. They aren't too bad looking or priced. I think they have a Crocket rifle also, it might be the one pictured above with the half stock.
Their "Hawkens" aren't Hawkens either. They're closer to Tryon trade rifles than anything else.
Old January 24, 2009, 09:14 PM   #11
Bunny

Found a Seneca.36

Well I just picked up a mint .36 Seneca and a couple hundred round balls, any recomended loads? I was wondering about triple 7 powder, sounds good but how is it in a side lock?
Old January 24, 2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Hawg

I don't use it but from what I see on different forums it's pressure sensitive. meaning it needs to have the ball in contact with it but not compressed which is difficult to do so velocities may differ from one load to the next. It's also 15% hotter than bp so charges need to be reduced. Pyrodex is easier to deal with as it needs to be compressed just like real bp and it's easier to use the same amount of pressure when seating the ball. As far as ignition with a side lock and #11 caps I don't think there's a problem.
Old January 24, 2009, 10:35 PM   #13
mykeal

As usual, Hawg's nailed it.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Pahoo

Bunny
When I first replied to your post, I said to myself; "Self", if she could find a Seneca, that would more than fill the ticket. I waited 20 Years before I found my .45 and then started looking for a .36. Sure enough, found one on this forum and really love these little guys. At this time, I am using American Pioneer, in FFF and get very good performance. I tend to shy away from 777, in most of my side-cockers. Yesterday I picked up two Maxi-Ball molds in .36 and .45, to compliment my .50. Have not seen these for a number of years. I don't expect them to shoot any better than PRB but just something different. I know you will enjoy your littel beauty !! ...

Be Safe !!!!