The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 17, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1
GPossenti

Concealed Carry at Work

I work in a downtown office with a dozen other people crammed in one room. the standard dress code is khakis or jeans and a polo tucked in.

We all have our satchels/messenger bags/laptop bags.

My job sometimes requires me to go to the courthouse where guns are strictly prohibited.

If I chose to carry concealed, I'd have to find a way to get my gun from my body to my satchel without making a scene.

I can't leave my gun in the car because my wife drops me off at work.

Is there any good way to carry in this situation?
Old June 17, 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

Your personal circumstances make it very unlikely to do so without leaving yourself vulnerable to theft of your firearm.
Old June 17, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3
AK103K

Doesnt the courthouse have lock boxes? Even the federal courthouses have them.
Old June 17, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
oldandslow

GP, 6/18/08

With your crowded office environment, tucked shirts and need to remove your pistol discreetly for court entrance it sounds like you may be a candidate for a waist pack or other off-body carry. I like IWB best but I still often use a waistpack when social conditions require it. Check out the pistol packs at www.theconcealmentshop.com. I like the small to medium size in nylon, usually dark colors (dark blue or gray). It's easy, comfortable and works well. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslower
Old June 17, 2008, 09:55 PM   #5
chris in va

Quote:
If I chose to carry concealed, I'd have to find a way to get my gun from my body to my satchel without making a scene.
Is OC legal in LA? If it's in a holster, I wouldn't worry about it. Do it all the time here in VA.
Old June 17, 2008, 10:38 PM   #6
FrontSight

Ankle holster maybe? Go to men's room and switch it out?

Just make sure the pants are long enough. Oh, and can you get a locking drawer at your office?
Old June 17, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
hoytinak

Quote:
My job sometimes requires me to go to the courthouse where guns are strictly prohibited.

Before walking into the courthouse would it be possible to excuss yourself and go to the "restroom" and make the switch there?

Edit: Looks like I'm late.. Scrap5000 got it.
Old June 18, 2008, 07:45 AM   #8
samsmix

It may be a bit unconventional, but try a Kel-tek P-32 in a neck holster.

Never heard of one? They are leather thumb-break types that hang upside down from a dog tag chain or braided synthetic cat gut. To affect the draw, pull your polo clear of your belt with your left hand, reach up and grasp the pistol, knock off the thumb break, and presto! You are now pointing the gun at a douchebag. As the pistol is carried pointed up under your chin, you might want to go chamber empty.

I did this many years ago with a .38spl Davis Industries derringer. Piss poor gun, but a great deep concealed holster. To get ready for court, go to the mens room and take the necklace off. I'm not sure if anyone is making these anymore, but they would be child's play for a good maker to build.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old June 18, 2008, 08:18 AM   #9
samsmix

OMG! I'm ROFLMFAO!

I just read "Shrine of the Mall Ninja" over at LonelyMachines.com.
Effin' HILARIOUS! Who does this guy think he is kidding? WOW! the anonymity of cyberspace sure brings 'em out of the woodwork.

I dunno what mall this guy works in. Heck, I can't even CCW in mine when I am off duty.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?