The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 22, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
azn505

Smith and Wesson KNives

I was wondering if smith and wesosn knives are any good. I'm pretty sure you will get a laugh but our big 5 has some smith and wesson knives for around 10-13 bucks right now. Says htey are tactical knives sasys when not on sale reg 59.99 which is prob a lie. Just wondering if anyone has used them or if htey are junk
Old April 22, 2008, 09:19 PM   #2
rocket12

imho......junk
Old April 22, 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
sholling

I've never tried S&W knives but my experience is that pretty much any "gun branded" knife is junk.
Old April 23, 2008, 01:07 PM   #4
jfrey123

They're cheap junk, but mine worked just fine. No problems with the hinge or the locking mechanism. The metal for the blades is cheap, doesn't hold an edge very well (although the serrated portion is still very sharp). The clip was somewhat flimsy, and after a month or so needs to be bent back to touching the body of the knife.

If you want a cheap folder, that you don't have to worry about pretty much ever, get a Gerber. I'm knife sharpening illiterate, can't do it worth a darn. But these little Gerber knives keep a sharp edge for a long, long time, and you send it in they will resharpen it for you.
Old April 23, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

You can pick them up at any gun show for $9.99....
Old April 23, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6
115scott

I put a little pressure on one I had and the blade snapped. I vote with those that said JUNK.
Old April 23, 2008, 08:06 PM   #7
SoldiersSon

I picked up a Homeland Security model at Sportsman's for $9.99. I like it okay so far.

Edit: S&W is actually a misnomer. Taylor Knives ( http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com ) just pays to license the name.

Last edited by SoldiersSon; April 25, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old April 23, 2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Inspector3711

In my opinion if you want a low cost knife that is of decent quality, you can't go wrong with Kershaw. At Walmart for less than $30 you can pick up a Kershaw Scallion with the speedsafe blade. It functions like a switchblade but since there is no "switch" it's legal. This isn't one that you flip open with your wrist, the blade is actually propelled out by a powerfull spring. Be carefull if you try one. The blade locks via a liner lock. It's easy to master pulling the knife out, opening it, cutting, closing it, and then putting it away with one hand. This leaves the other hand free for carrying objects or pulling on packaging. The blades on these are very easy to sharpen if you buy a decent sharpening system (Walmart, Smiths brand in black box $19.99) that will control your angle. They need to be sharpened regularly if you use them hard. They are easy to hone razor sharp because the steel isn't overly hardened. I sharpen mine monthly. I recommend that you stay away from the serrated blade option. It looks cool but isn't all that practical when it needs to be honed. Night and day difference between these and Smith and Wesson. I have a Scallion that's 5 years old and has been abused daily(cutting cardboard and plastic freight straps frequently) and still works like new. Benchmade, Gerber, Schrade, Old Timer, all great brands that offer far superior models for not that much more cash. At any rate, while Smith&Wesson makes fine firearms, they don't actually manufacture knifes. Smith knifes are like most things in this world. You get what you pay for.
Old April 24, 2008, 03:09 PM   #9
dairycreek

Some time ago I bought a S&W revolver which came with a certificate for a free S&W knife. Sent in the certificate and got the knife. It was IMHO a very low quality knife which I would never buy.:barf:

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 30, 2008, 10:57 PM   #10
FM12

A real waste of money. Been there, done that, got burned. Also on a KaBar folder made in China.
Old May 5, 2008, 11:08 AM   #11
bikerbill

Gotta argue with you about the KaBar folder. I have a 3-inch model, made in Taiwan, says Dozier Design on the blade. I've carried it every day for several years, so much that most of the black is worn off the clip. It's easy to sharpen, locks up solidly and works as designed. Don't recall what it cost, but it was pretty inexpensive. I have probably 3-4 dozen folders 2-inch to 4-inch, and it's the one that gets called on every single day. I recommend it highly.

Don't use it as a pry bar.