The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 31, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
TCman

Picked me up a CETME

I picked up a century cetme last week. I paid $485 for it. It came with a cetme sling, 2 mags, mag pouch, and a side folding cholate stock. I took it out the otherday and fired 60 rounds through it without a single problem. The finish has two rough spots, but no major problems. How did I do?
Old March 31, 2008, 09:32 PM   #2
kristop64089

Looks like somebody else here got the bug as well. Ipicked one up Thursday, it came with an ARMS claw mount, 2 bayonets, 6 mags(3-20, 3-5), sling, and tube style cleaning kit.

Ya didn't do bad on price.
What you need to do now, is check out the internals.

Tottaly field strip and clean, remove the bolt from carrier, and check to see if it is a ground bolt. then put it back together, charge it(unloaded of course) then dry fire with out the mag. check the gap with feeler gauges between the bolt and carrier. It shoud be between .005"-.020". if that's good, you have much life left in your gun.
Old March 31, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
TCman

Ive cleaned it. Idk if the bolt is ground or not. Woh do i check the bolt gap? Dry fire and check in the mag well?
Old March 31, 2008, 09:39 PM   #4
kristop64089

You need to seperate the bolt from the carrier. look at the rear of the bolt. if it has a bevel, it is unground. If it has a 90deg edge it is ground.

The gap is checked on a complete, un-loaded gun. just "cock" it(letting it slam home) and pull the trigger. slide your feeler gauge between the space between the rear of the bolt, and the front of the carrier. the "snug" one is your gap.
Old April 1, 2008, 06:09 PM   #5
TCman

I think the bolt is ground. the gap is .008 Should i worry about it?
Old April 1, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
kristop64089

If you can take a pic(one straight on, one side)....your side profile should look like this \

.08 is not bad for an unground bolt. The bolt gap(when true) determines the "shootable life" of the gun.