The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 25, 2008, 09:10 PM   #1
[email protected]

suggestions for bore sighters?

I have been looking at bore sighters to zero a couple rifles and wanted some input on a decent unit. i am quite lost with the variety of styles such as the chambered laser, magnetic barrel mount and muzzle mount.
Old February 25, 2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Full-choke

All I have to say is steer clear of the BSA Post style boresighter. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned in my life. The posts wouldn't hold the sighter up, it flopped around like a wet noodle and not once did I get a rifle on paper at 25 yards using that thing! It is worthless beyond all recall...just don't get it.

That being said my gun shop has a laser sight and he gets it in pretty good with that one shining it into the next room. I don't know what make it is but it works rather nicely.

F-C
Old February 25, 2008, 09:20 PM   #3
SIGSHR

I intend to get one that is shaped liked a cartridge and fits in the chamber.
Elsewhere I have have seen pictures of a rifle that was fired with a bore sighter and arbor in the muzzle, the barrel was split open like a morning glory.
No mention of injuries.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:35 PM   #4
Bogie

Don't.

Take the bolt out, look down the bore, and line the barrel up with the target. You should be on paper now.

If you can't look straight down, a dental mirror works wonders.

Free method too...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old February 26, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
AK103K

I agree with Bogie, save your money for something else.

I've only ever had a couple of guns bore sighted, and they were no better or worse than anything I've done using the sight down the bore method.

If I cant take the bolt out, I use an old GI 90* chamber/bore mirror.
Old February 26, 2008, 04:47 PM   #6
mes228

Bore Sighter

Go to the store and purchase a Leupold Bore Sight device. It's as close to magic and voodoo as anything you'll ever see. I'm not too stupid but darn if I have a clue as to how it can possibly work. But it does, and it does perfectly, on any firearm in less than a minute and the rifle will be near perfect. This thing works whether mounted "square" or elevated, or canted, or anything else. It has a magnet that holds it on the end of the barrel. Trust me, the smartest man that has ever lived designed this device. I'm serious as a heart attack - it may as well be magic or voodoo. Nothing that exist is even on the same planet as this device, nothing comes close, and it's cheap too. No Joke.
Old February 26, 2008, 05:04 PM   #7
GSoD

I still can't figure out how it works accurately but I bought a cheap-o Bushnell magnetic bore sighter and it has worked great every time.

I think it was only $30 but it gets me on paper.
Old February 26, 2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Lawyer Daggit

I have had problems with a BSA type stud arrangement and use a Leupold Bore Site. It is small enough to carry on trips to quickly check alignment as well.

The leupold device always 'gets me on the paper' though some additional shooting in is generally required.
Old February 27, 2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Don't.

Take the bolt out, look down the bore, and line the barrel up with the target. You should be on paper now.

If you can't look straight down, a dental mirror works wonders.

Free method too...
A bore sighter won't help you zero a rifle in. It will help you hit paper and might help you zero in using less ammo. In my opinion however, the method above will get you hitting paper just as quick. Bore sighters are a solution looking for a problem.

Using the above method I've sighted in newly mounted rifle scopes with less than a box of 20 shells.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 28, 2008 at 08:14 AM.