The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1
GerryG

Dillon 450 Frame Change Kit

I have an old Dillon RL450 progressive press, the one without the removeable die head.
I either heard or read that there was a frame change kit. Anybody know what this kit is?
Old June 19, 2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Uh, Dillon, maybe?
1-800-762-3845

I don't recall the conversion being a catalog item in Blue Press anymore, but if you called them up, I am sure they would tell you if they still offered it.

I don't know if it would be economically feasible. I would get the automatic primer feed and powder measure if your version of 450 lacked them, but I think I could unscrew a lot of dies for the price of a new frame with detachable head.
Old June 19, 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

I wonder if there is enough meat between the die holes to have a machine shop drill them out and tap them to 1-1/4x12 so that Hornady LNL inserts could be used?

Andy
Old June 19, 2007, 09:46 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I have an old 450 myself and years back Dillon offered the changeover. I looked at an RL550, and decided to just add the auto primer feed to mine. I still have to pump the powder bar, but this allows me to visually check the charge before seating the bullet. I feel a whole lot better about the charge when I can "feel" the bar operate. The changeover shouldn't be that much if Dillon still stocks it. Dillon mfg. has the same attitude as RCBS. I wish everything I own was as utterly reliable as their equipment[both companies], and had the same rock solid warranty.
Old June 20, 2007, 11:42 AM   #5
LAH

You can find what you're looking for here: http://dillonprecision.com/template/...5&min=2&dyn=1&