The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
FRANK1669

dangers of loaded on the night stand

I hope this is the correct spot to post this. I am new to this forum, and have found a lot of good information. And, I would like to give something back. I have seen a lot of posts as to what if, or how many times to shoot etc. For me personally there will never be a ready to fire gun in my house again. Here is why. About three years ago I was working nights and would sleep during the day. My girlfriend at the time came over to my house while I was sleeping. When she opened the door to my bedroom it startled me awake. At this point my hands were much quicker than my brain. While waking I managed to draw cock and aim before I even new who was in the room ( for clarification S&W 357 DA revolver) . I really don’t know how or why I didn’t fire. But the results could have been disastrous. To be honest this has scared the H_ll out of me. With hind sight there were a lot of things didn’t happen My dog didn’t bark, I never heard any forced entry etc. Maybe my subconscious picked up on these and that is why I didn’t fire, But I will not take any chances. For home defense My pump shotgun is loaded but not chambered. I want do give myself that second or so to make sure I am clear headed before I fire. Like anything you practice a lot it becomes reflex. I also practice Judo and our instructor calls it muscle memory. Your body can react faster than your brain at times. I don’t expect to change anyone’s mind on how they prepare for there safety at home I just wanted to offer some information as to a possible worst case scenario and a way to avoid it.
Old July 23, 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Wyo Cowboy

Consider the "Gun Vault" or something simmilar. The Gun Vault (yes, I own one but have no stock in the company) requires that the correct combination is inputed prior to access. The "combo" is a finger pattern which you select as opposed to a "combo" of numbers which is selected by the manufaturer.
Old July 23, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3
BillCA

When I had a g/f living with me I told her not to be quiet coming in the house after her late swingshift ended. I was more likely to wake up alarmed by "prowler" noises than the normal noises of her coming home. She forgot once - and only once - when she heard the slide drop on the 1911. All ended well.

This is a good point to think about when you have significant others, roomies or other family members living with you. Some folks put the gun in the nightstand drawer. Others use a semi-auto so they have to chamber a round first. Develop a "routine" for your household people -- enter the house in a normal (noisy) fashion, jingle keys, put stuff down, head to kitchen or bathroom before the bedroom(s), etc.

Remember that when others are sleeping, attempting to be "quiet as a mouse" may only alarm them when they awaken, especially if your arrival is something of a surprise.
Old July 24, 2006, 04:14 AM   #4
Doggieman

yup, I make it very clear to my girlfriends that I have guns in my house and to NEVER come in unannounced. I also keep my doors locked at all times, even when I'm home, so a dumb neighbor or a random kid can't come in and get blown away. If someone gets into my house I'm almost entirely certain it will be proper to shoot him or her even before seeing who it is.

However it's always necessary to be as sure as possible of your target before squeezing the trig.

Gun safety means making everyone safe around your guns, not just you.
Old July 24, 2006, 08:01 AM   #5
tegemu

I read another consideration in the latest issue of "Combat Carry" magazine. If you put your firearm on the night stand or in it's drawer, that's the first place an intruder will look and you might just wake up staring down the barrel of your own gun. They also did not recommend putting it under your pillow as that is likely to be an incipient negligible discharge. The Safe Box Vault or another location such as a bed frame, wall or floor mount is suggested. I have ordered a Sure Set Holster Mount which will mount to the bed frame, wall, floor or anywhere in a vehicle. A simpler suggestion is to place the gun on the floor, covered by a magazine.
Old July 24, 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
CDH

I'm troubled by the idea of some people picking up a gun anytime they wake up or hear an unfamiliar sound. That's not "self defense", that's "likes to play with guns".

I hear all sorts of things going on at night including doors creaking, the air conditioner kicking on and disturbing something, the dog doing whatever the hell HE does when I'm asleep, and all sorts of things.

This isn't an argument for or against having a loaded defensive weapon handy, it's more of an argument of being prepared for noises or unexpected events to NOT be a home invasion. On top of that, some of these circumstances are totally predictable with family or friends having open access to the house at any time in situations where I just don't see the need to pick up a weapon.

It sounds to me like the idea of being prepared for a defensive situation is taken a bit too far where someone may get hurt for absolutely no reason.
I won't go over all the scenarios where I would act a certain way because there are so many, and having a ready weapon available is part of all of them. But I have never gotten so far as to draw down on anyone I know while there was one time I got further along in "preparedness" before deciding the threat didn't warrant shooting (but did warrant having a pistol in my hand).

Not meaning to sound preachy, just things to think about.

Carter
Old July 24, 2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Big Mac

I have developed an interesting technique. I have steel toe workboots that i put beside my bed, I place the pistol barrel down into it. It's quick to draw and safe from pets knocking them down (unless you have a medium or large dog) I've practiced it quite a few times, it's not that hard once you get it set up just right. I must also add that I have a futon, not a large bed so this may not apply to many people. College student style.....
Old July 24, 2006, 05:37 PM   #8
bg226

I like the idea of a magazine disconnect. Even if a round is chambered the gun cannot fire unless the magazine is inserted.
Old July 24, 2006, 06:51 PM   #9
springmom

house rules are important

The girlfriend should not have come in unannounced. We have a 17 year old still at home who does not, shall we say, keep our hours. He is well aware of the fact that my XD lives on my night stand and after having the living snot beat out of him by some of the local gangsters in January, is utterly supportive of our home defense goals. So when he comes in, he disarms, then re-arms the alarm system with his own code, then comes and bangs on our door and yells "I'M HOOOOOMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!" If he were to not do that, I would call out "hellooooooo....." and he would then answer.

Nobody else can just "walk in", not his friends or ours. There are new gangs popping up around here, a killer gang just got picked up a few weeks ago less than 5 miles from our house, and a serial killer is now stalking an area about 5-7 miles south of us.

Keeping that gun where it is is not "likes to play with guns". It is what my sig line says: I refuse to be a victim.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 24, 2006, 07:08 PM   #10
atlctyslkr

If it's easy for you to access a gun and it's in plain sight it may be easy for someone you don't want to get it to access it. Sure would suck if you woke up with an intruder standing over you pointing YOUR gun at you.
Old July 24, 2006, 07:25 PM   #11
Flaman

Here is my opinion, I'm sorry for the long reply....

I don't keep my Glock 30 (and surefire flashlight) on/in the night stand, but they are within arms length while I sleep. The G30 is ALWAYS stoked up with 10 in the mag, one in the tube.

Most criminals won't wait for their victim to retrieve his/her firearm before they commence firing on them. Most home invasions happen at night... The element of surprise clearly gives the advantage to the criminal.

Home invasions are just that: INVASIONS; the definition of which is: the act of attacking, assaulting, or mounting an offensive.

These intruders do these sorts of things most often knowing a home is occupied; which means they may have little or no regard for human life.

For me, the answer to this potential threat is: TRAINING... PERIOD
1) I keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
2) I always identify threat
3) I never, ever, put finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire.

I have consciously repeated these things to myself over and over again thousands of times. These words are burned into my subconscious mind.

I have been startled at night many, many times. I have often grabbed my pistol in the midst of waking up in severe fright, but thank God I always:
1) Kept the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
2) Identified the threat
3) Never, ever, put my finger on the trigger until ready to fire.

This works for me. You may not feel comfortable with my thinking; I respect your choice to make the right decision for you.

I refuse be caught racking my slide, looking for a key, fumbling with a magazine, or stumbling to a gun vault in a "half asleep state", while a wide awake intruder is trying to terminate me so that he might brutally rape, murder, or torture my family.
Old July 24, 2006, 07:32 PM   #12
FRANK1669

In response to CDH the unfamiliar sound was my bedroom door opening beings how I lived alone at that time I don’t consider it “playing with guns” My girlfriend stopped by unannounced while I was sleeping. Enough said on that So if that is drawing at any unfamiliar sound and seams unwarranted to you that is your opinion. I also think you misunderstood the hole point of my posting I simply wanted to point out an situation that happened to me that could have been tragic and how I choose to correct it. This is offered as a solution for everyone just something to think about. II know there are several people who read this form with a firearm for home defense and I just hope this info may prevent an accidental shooting.
Old July 24, 2006, 07:33 PM   #13
Doggieman

magazine disconnect = :barf:
child locks = :barf:
internal locking systems = :barf:

My safety is my brain. It rarely fails.
Old July 24, 2006, 07:45 PM   #14
axslingerW

My guns are always locked when not on my person. Having a "special" child means no chances. I do keep the magazine loaded and it takes only a few seconds to ready the pistol. I doubt anybody would get passed a locked door, two large dogs, and an alarm before I'm ready.
Old July 24, 2006, 08:21 PM   #15
RioShooter

Because every household is different, each person must choose options that best protect them.

I sleep with a pistol on my nightstand and a shotgun next to the bed. My wife is the only person who would be in my house while I am sleeping. We also have 5 house dogs. There is NO way an intruder could access my guns before me. One more thing; we have an alarm system that is always activated after dark.

Did I mention that we sleep with the bedroom door locked? No. Well, that's one more layer of protection.

If I am a target for a home invasion, and my bedroom door is kicked-in, the intruder will learn what self-defense means.
Old July 24, 2006, 08:29 PM   #16
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
For me, the answer to this potential threat is: TRAINING... PERIOD
1) I keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
2) I always identify threat
3) I never, ever, put finger on the trigger until I'm ready to fire.
That's the best advice IMO.

In addition it's a good idea to strongly advise others not enter your living area unannounced but don't count on that. Magazine disconnects are a liability IMO.

I keep all the guns that are not in my safe loaded and ready to fire at all times, they are in my bedroom and are not accessible by anyone else. They are insured, and no one is going to be getting in without making such an entrance obvious to me when I return, much less entering while I am asleep and not waking me up. Beyond that, the I have added security features to my home are more to discourage prospective intruders and alert me to their presence than to keep then out if they really want to get in.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 25, 2006, 12:01 AM   #17
guntotin_fool

I sleep with a gun (1911) in a thumbsnap under the pillow, have for years, wife does the same, We also have large dog and a yapper, plus an alarm and a system, If our bedroom light is out, the kids have to ring the door bell when they enter the house. two short jabs. There are a few others, (my parents, a brother, father in law who have a key,) all have been told the same pattern. so far it has worked, the dog yaps, two short rings, and then i listen to whom ever is talking to the dogs. This is the same system I was forced to use when i lived in the basement of my parents house from about 8 th grade on....So far it has worked.
Old July 25, 2006, 12:52 AM   #18
Sun Tzu

Sleep like an angel

Brothers,

I sleep w/my G-19 fully loaded and racked. It is secured in a wilderness safepacker holster. It also has a Saf T Blok in the trigger guard. I am ready to stop a threat instantly. And like Doggieman says "my brain is my safety" always. Use visualization techniques, practice, communicate, and see the threat first!

Peace, S Tzu

Master Sun's Glock would be racked...
Old July 25, 2006, 03:25 AM   #19
Doggieman

yeah well

I sleep with a concealed carry piece in a shoulder holster, a backup gun on my leg, while cuddling my shotgun. I have two trained dobermans on either side of my bed and four pit bulls on the other side of a 3-inch titanium bedroom door. The exterior windows are bulletproof and I have 6 moving spotlights illuminating the yard with nearly a dozen cameras and motion detectors which will instantly sound an alarm and release the dogs on an intruder. The neighbors think I'm nuts but no home invasions yet!
Old July 25, 2006, 08:42 AM   #20
springmom

LOL Doggieman!!!

Thanks for my laugh for the day.

The idea of a home invader having sneaked through my alarm system, my dogs, and my locked bedroom door to get to where he's standing over me with me still blissfully snoozing away is silly. Now, if you sleep with your first-floor windows open, no alarm, no dogs, no locked/bolted doors, well, maybe, but if that happens it's because of all the things you didn't do before that point.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 25, 2006, 09:04 AM   #21
pdkflyguy

I think it's been said ad nauseum, but I still agree that Dogs make the best intruder alarms. We have a 4 year old dog and a 1 year old puppy, and it took me less than a week to teach the puppy which noises were normal and which ones meant she needed to raise hell about. I think if you have one or two layers of primary defense (i.e. Alarms, Dogs, deadbolts), then a pistol can still be reached in time in a good quick-release safe. Plus, dogs or alarms have a tendency to wake up your brain a little bit more than it does on its own, so that may help to give you more clarity of thought and judgement. I've never pointed a gun at my wife or any houseguests (although both have made plenty of unusual noises in the middle of the night) because once I reach for the gun I'm also listening for secondary indications that an intruder is in the house.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old July 25, 2006, 09:23 AM   #22
Bulldozer

Dog(s) and deadbolts on doors.
Revolver nearby.

We had a recent long-lost freind of the wife's show up unannounced and proceeded to "storm the castle." Had we not visually ID'd the person by the license plate of the car, the greeting would have been far less polite than it was.
Old July 25, 2006, 11:54 AM   #23
raymond-

magazine disconnect =
child locks =
internal locking systems =

...you never make typos, you always remember people's names, you never
forget an appointment...birthday....or anniversary, and you never flinch.
Old July 25, 2006, 12:45 PM   #24
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
magazine disconnect =
child locks =
internal locking systems =

...you never make typos, you always remember people's names, you never
forget an appointment...birthday....or anniversary, and you never flinch.
The thing to remember is that you can do things in away that allows for human failures, such as keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. If you can't remember that you should not own guns IMO.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old July 25, 2006, 01:35 PM   #25
john in jax

Different strokes . . .

Life before kids was different, there was 1 or more loaded guns concealed in every single room of the house.

Life with YOUNG children means almost everything is unloaded and locked in the safe. I keep a couple of .45 autos around without a round in the chamber - - by the time he is old enough (strong enough) to rack the slide he'll know all about them, but until then an empty chamber and an 18# recoil spring serve as a additional child safety/protection measure and that's what it is all about right . . . protecting our loved ones.

My CCW is the only gun ready to go, with one in the chamber and when not on my person it is put away. But like many others on this board I have a very paranoid barking alarm - - The dog barks at anyone, even me, who approches the house and often when a neighbor opens or closes a car door.