The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 10, 1999, 06:21 PM   #1
aztec777

I've posted this before, but I thought I'd give it another try. There are so many new memebers here that I may get the information I need this time. I have a Unique Model L. It is a fixed 3.3" barrel, 22lr, semi-auto handgun. I can't get the slide on. This is my last chance before I send it to a 'smith and pay them to do it. Someone please help me! Mr. Stringer, could you possibly do the work? How much would it cost me? Thanks again.

Steve
Old December 10, 1999, 09:48 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Steve, I can do it for you. It'll cost you more to ship it than I'd charge to do it. But don't give up just yet. I've got a couple of feelers out for the info. I'll e-mail you when I hear something but if you get tired of waiting, e-mail me and I'll give you the details on shipping the pistol. George
Old December 10, 1999, 10:04 PM   #3
aztec777

Mr. Stringer-Alright. I'd like to get this this done and ready for XMAS for the Mother-in-law. One quick question, if I may. Do you have to remove the barrel to get the slide on? If so, do you need a press to do it? This thing has me stumped and angered. I'm usually very good at figuring things out and I feel like a total klutz on this one. I've never been stumped like this before.
Old December 11, 1999, 10:35 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I may have the wrong gun in mind, but does the Model L have a little lever on the right side of the frame opposite the saftey lever?

If so, that lever is on a plate that contains part of the slide rail. When it is turned, the slide can be removed by pulling up and back.

If this is the case, turn the lever until there is a gap in the rail. Then put the recoil spring on the guide and put the larger end of the spring guide into the hole in the frame. (The guide also serves to tension the safety.) Drop the open part of the slide over the end of the barrel, insert the front of the recoil spring and guide into the hole in the slide and pull back the slide until the breech block part of the slide (the part with the firing pin) clears the end of the barrel, then push the slide down and move it a little until you can feel it set down into place. Turn the right side latch to lock it. It is very simple and easy as pie once you know the score.

Jim
Old December 12, 1999, 01:33 AM   #5
aztec777

Mr. Keenan-That's what it looks like to me, but the slide has no cutout to make this happen. Could it be that I got the wrong replacement slide? It looks correct, but I have never disassembled this model and I'm not sure what's what. It does have the rotating plate to lock the slide on. I think I'll contact the company I got the slide from and ask about the part.
Old December 12, 1999, 07:13 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ok, matching that plate in the frame should be a high place on the slide rail , which will fit into the "gap" where the plate part of the rail isn't. Then pull the slide back and turn the plate 90 degrees to put the frame rail back in place. If this doesn't work, then I am really puzzled. However, you didn't say the slide was a replacement. Still, if it is a Model L slide it should fit.

Jim