The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 31, 2000, 05:35 PM   #1
abruzzi

OK, the truth is I've been a little bit timid about posting on this board because what I know about full auto is ZIP.

That did not prevent me from dropping 2500 bucks for a 9mm registered UZI receiver with 4 20 rd mags and an extra barrel (carbine length) a few months back. This past week, I had an opportunity to buy 20 extra mags (used military, so I'm told) at 20 bucks each (18 20rd and 2 32 rd) and took them.

I have begun to notice things for the UZI on the net at gunbroker.com and other places, like an Aimpoint scope mount. Do red dot scopes work well on these buckos? How about lasers?? How will the carbine barrel compare to the shorter one.

I plan to get a silencer and to put a vertical forward grip on it. But I am also open to suggestions.

Spent $140 for 1000 rounds of Wolf 9mm last week in order to show the UZI off to a nephew visiting from, you guessed it, Northern Ireland.(Honest, he had never shot a 22 before, and I am NOT running a training camp for the IRA). Are there any 22 conversions out there for the UZI???

Thanks for tips, suggestions, extra mags, etc.

PS Is there an unofficial UZI web page????
How about the best book on this weapon?????

[This message has been edited by abruzzi (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old June 1, 2000, 08:45 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Congratulations on the purchase! You may want to read up on the different styles of registered firearms as certain styles can have different modifications while some styles can have no modifications (registered receivers vs registered sears vs registered trigger packs etc). Not sure how much impact this would have on Uzis, it has a major impact on HKs though. I believe that the registered receiver is a good way to go though, as parts can easily be replaced IIRC.

Quite a few folks have turned their FAs into competition guns. There is an organization similar to IPSC for FA only. Don't recall the name at the moment, National Full Auto Association comes to mind but not sure if that's correct. There are many classes; optics, iron sights, racegun, stock etc. I've seen some of the competition while at Knob Creek. There are all sorts of classes. It's really cool when a suppressed gun comes up to the line and goes at it .

If you get a suppressor, make sure you buy quality as they are not, in the main, maintenance-free. Buying parts for many suppressors will require a tax stamp also (baffle kits, if you can even find one).

You may want to check out Small Arms Review magazine. It is a magazine mostly to the class three world. It is an excellent publication. This is the only gun magazine that I still subscribe to. They aren't cheap though. They can be reached at www.smallarmsreview.com. They have done some articles on the Uzi IIRC.
Some other excellent resources on the net are Tom Bowers site-www.subguns.com and Big Jim's Machinegun Sanctuary www.bigjimsmgs.com. These two sites have quite a few links that should be able to help you out.

------------------
TFL End of Summer Meet
Old June 1, 2000, 08:49 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Almost forgot about the .22lr conversion. Group Industries made a conversion for the Uzi. Only around 200 kits were made according to an SAR article. It has a cyclic rate of around 700 rpm. The two that were tested for the article were not ammo sensitive at all either. They also tested with subsonic ammo using the 9mm suppressor and were pleasantly suprised by how well it worked. The information above can be gotten from an acticle on 22lr machineguns from the March 1998 issue of SAR.

------------------
TFL End of Summer Meet
Old June 1, 2000, 03:31 PM   #4
pete80

Congrats on your purchase! You went with a winner in the UZI. This subgun is sure to offer you years of shooting enjoyment. Only thing you need now is lots and lots of ammo.
Old June 1, 2000, 05:11 PM   #5
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

go to http://www.vectorarms.com/ for almost anything you could ask for the Uzi. Spare parts, magazines, pouches, lights, lasers.

You got a pretty good price. Who made it?

------------------
Byron Quick

Old June 1, 2000, 06:16 PM   #6
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Oh, yeah, Vector has the .22 conversion kit and the .45 conversion kit. Apparently these were only made with 16 rd. magazines, though.

That's all I've ever been able to locate.

------------------
Byron Quick

Old June 2, 2000, 07:57 PM   #7
Doug Yenshaw

Hi
Back in feb.i went to a free submachine gun course that was real informative.it was an all day course about 6 hrs the gun of choice was the uzi the best part was everything was free guns,ammo about 250 rnds,great instruction. we went from the basics through trigger modulation, pointing in from the ready and other field carrys and on into the one round head shots in the failure to stop drills. check it out at frontsight.com or call 1 800 987-7719 the schedule reads till the end of june but i know they will have them from sept. through the end of the year also. i just thought it would be what you are looking for. have a good one Doug
Old June 6, 2000, 06:40 PM   #8
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I suggest a commercial grade loading machine.