The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 7, 2016, 06:47 AM   #26
Lohman446

Quote:
People with various skill levels have successfully defended themselves. People with various skill levels have also failed to successfully defend themselves

Being successful basically means that you were able to solve your problem with the skills you had available. But if your skills are not up to the task, you will have an unhappy result.
I think Frank has the right of it in here somewhere. Though I will add a couple points in:

A) The person who knows and is aware of his or her own skill level is most likely to survive. For instance I do not carry 117 rounds of ammunition, three different pistols, and various other "essentials" on a daily basis. Why? Realistically I do not envision any scenario where I would actually get to round #117 (or for that matter round 17) and still survive. Because I understand my own limitations there are some encounters (and areas) I simply do everything I can to avoid.

B) There is a limit to what training can teach you. The famous quote is "its not how hard you hit its how hard you get hit and keep moving forward" or something close to that. Until you are being shot at (and possibly hit) its hard to predict how one will react

C) I find it amusing when training is limited to firearm training. Engaging a competent and determined opponent within acceptable self defense ranges (let alone multiple opponents) likely means you will end up fighting at contact distance. You better have good firearm retention skills and you better have skills beyond your firearm.

My grandfather never had formal self defense training outside of the military and that training was not focused on self defense. If I was "going to war" in that I "expected" to need to defend myself and decided to go anyways he would be towards the top of the list of people I would want with me.
Old September 7, 2016, 08:44 AM   #27
Brit

You do need some training in firing a hand gun, you had a young guy class to drive a car, way back when, yes?

A CCW class, with a competent Instructor is a good start. Being as the FBI have returned to the 9mm, after a few years with the .40 caliber, starting with the same caliber, not a bad idea. AS the FBI with more resources than we lowly Citizens have, picked Glock, not a bad pick, G26, or as I have done for years, Glock 19, with night sights.

That's a start. IDPA as a sport, use your carry gun, and holster, again a cheaper option, and fun.
Old September 7, 2016, 02:02 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Everything I've purchased from Brooks Brothers was trash. For $1200 I can get a custom suit made. Irrelevant as that is to the conversation.

OP, how much first aid training have you received? People spend thousands on firearms training 'to protect their family' without spending a dime on medical training that has a much broader application to safeguarding yourself and those around you. OTOH, there are apparently those here who carry a CAT tourniquet on their persons or at least in car at all times(which I frankly didn't believe when first claimed, but I have since met someone in person who does in fact always keep one close), so some people do take it seriously.

Basic martial arts training is much cheaper than basic firearms training, is relevant to some ancillary skills such as retention, maintaining balance, movement, and stress control, and can help when a firearm is not close at hand. Sparring may not be the same as getting shot at, but a few kicks to the head will teach one to stay on their toes.