The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How does your current stock of ammo compare to what you had on December 13, 2012?
I have significantly more ammo now. 24 12.31%
I have roughly the same amount now. 146 74.87%
I have significantly less ammo now. 25 12.82%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 9, 2013, 03:08 PM   #51
Willihunt

Practical

I generally have 500 to 1000 rounds of 22lr and a hundred or so 12gauge shells in various forms. I don't collect or keep a lot of firearms other than the general three guns and a couple fun guns. I don't feel unsafe but I keep a loaded 357 in a quick access box. If I can't sort something out with 5 rounds from an sp101 I need to reevaluate some life choices. This ain't a charlie bronson movie.

I don't think President Obama has any interest in taking my firearms and, as much as I think the NRA needs to reevaluate some of its Public relations ideas, I trust them to block legislation which attempts to do so. I have a big dog that pretty much alleviates the home intrusion problems. I have 30 round clips that seldom see daylight as they serve no purpose hunting or in home defense (I am not a professional hunter, those guys might need a 30 clip for hogs or varmint). Doesn't mean I don't have the right to own them.

I agree with the sitting this out. I see a lot of ads encouraging hoarding. I keep a little freeze dried food for backpacking. Nobodies invading, coming for us, or imposing martial law. We are a large country of well armed citizens and huge military capabilities. I don't think its just the branches of government that balance each other as much as we the people balance the government.

I'm not shooting as much cause ammo's so darned expensive but I'm having a lot of fun squirreling with an air rifle. Sometimes the guys with the most guns and bullets are the most afraid of everything. Just enjoy yourself and if it hits the fan at least I know there are good people out there who wouldn't mind having an honest guy with good aim and clear head to help weather it.

Sorry this is a little long winded. Yall take it easy.

Last edited by Willihunt; April 9, 2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Language and a quick adjustment.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:16 AM   #52
Boomer58cal

The billionaire George Soros bought two ammo manufacturers and is selling only to the government. That's who's filling the government orders.

My source for the now 6,000,000,000(yes was 1.6 b) rounds is Theblaze.com.

Boomer
Old April 10, 2013, 12:27 AM   #53
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The billionaire George Soros bought two ammo manufacturers and is selling only to the government. That's who's filling the government orders.
Which two manufacturers? When did he do this? If you're referring to the Freedom Group, they have openly denied his involvement.

Furthermore, I haven't heard from any credible source that any manufacturer has either been ordered or has chosen to divert their production to government contracts.

Quote:
Can you provide a direct link to a credible article? I've heard these allegations, but every one I've followed up has turned out to be rumor mixed with conjecture.
Old April 10, 2013, 01:47 AM   #54
Boomer58cal

To go on Theblaze.com you either need a membership or you can watch their news channel on dish network. You could also listen to it's founder Glenn Beck on the radio. The truth is out there for those who are willing to go find it. Knowledge like freedom isn't free unfortunately. So sorry, no direct link. You can get a free ten day trial membership though. Their on line membership is well worth it. They even give their sources and most of the time they get more than one source to confirm things before reporting them. You know... like the main stream media should do.

Boomer
Old April 10, 2013, 05:03 AM   #55
2ndsojourn

^^^ Well, if Glenn Beck said it, it must be true.
Old April 10, 2013, 05:15 AM   #56
ChaseReynolds

I always try to hoard self defense rounds. Every time I am out and I see a box I will pick one or two up. As far as getting plinking rounds, that is a lot harder to come by and I must say that I just don't get to shoot as often as I like to.

I never plan on buying and flipping at double the value or whatever. But I will always gather more ammo than I hope to ever need.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #57
breakingcontact

Quote:
It is harder for those of us in the Pro-2nd Amendment group to fight 50 vs. just the Federal Govt. We could be loosing one State at a time.
This is increasingly my concern.

The left isn't honest, but they are smart. Divide and conquer. It is strange that as more and more states passes "some" form of concealed carry, many states are increasing their restrictions on other ways to practice one's first amendment rights.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:53 AM   #58
gaseousclay

Quote:

This is a quote from factcheck.org

Quote:
The anonymous author of this chain letter asks why the media haven’t reported that George Soros is connected to a company that is buying a lot of other companies that make guns and ammunition. The answer to that question is simple: because it isn’t true.

Soros doesn’t own Cerberus Capital Management, a private equity firm founded in 1992 by Stephen Feinberg and William Richter. Both Feinberg and Richter currently serve as two of the firm’s senior managing directors. And Feinberg, also the firm’s chief executive officer, is an avid hunter.

Soros, a billionaire philanthropist and known supporter of Democratic causes, isn’t even one of the company’s 26 senior executives. But the firm’s senior executives do include former Republican Vice President Dan Quayle and former Republican Treasury Secretary John Snow.

It’s true, however, that Cerberus Capital Management owns Freedom Group, a leading company in the manufacturing and marketing of guns and ammunition. And it’s also true that in recent years Freedom Group has acquired many of the firearms and ammunition manufacturing companies mentioned in the email, including Bushmaster Firearms (in April 2006), Remington (in May 2007) and Marlin (in January 2008). But that’s about all the author of this latest viral message gets right.

It has even been taken apart online by none other than the National Rifle Association, the largest gun-rights lobbying organization in the United States. The NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action called the rumor “completely false and baseless.”
Quote:
NRA-ILA, Oct. 14: Recently, an old rumor regarding Cerberus–the private equity firm that owns Freedom group, a holding company that in turn owns a number of firearms manufacturers, including Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, and DPMS–was in some way tied to George Soros.

This rumor is completely false and baseless.

NRA has had contact with officials from Cerberus and Freedom Group for some time. The owners and investors involved are strong supporters of the Second Amendment and are avid hunters and shooters.

In reality, at no time has George Soros ever been a part of the ownership group of Freedom Group or Cerberus, and as a privately traded corporation, there is no possibility that he will be in the future.

This unsubstantiated rumor has caused a great deal of unnecessary concern for gun owners. NRA-ILA urges our members to take great care before repeating baseless rumors found on the Internet.

Last edited by Tom Servo; April 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Removed "lazy" and "gullible"
Old April 10, 2013, 10:25 AM   #59
Boomer58cal

That's new to me. Theblaze said nothing about freedom-group. They say Soros himself bought them. Free trial membership. Check for yourself.

Edit. I just read the rest of your article from factcheck. That article is about gun manufacturers not ammo manufacturers. Many ammo manufacturers don't produce guns. Go to theblaze.com. It's the only real news out there.

Last edited by Boomer58cal; April 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old April 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #60
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Theblaze said nothing about freedom-group. They say Soros himself bought them. Free trial membership. Check for yourself.
Nope. That's not how it works here. You made the allegations, and the responsibility falls to you to prove them. Claiming something, then saying "go research it yourself" doesn't help make your point, especially one as controversial as yours.

gaseousclay provided evidence in rebuttal, and that jibes with what I know of the situation. Glenn Beck is paid to get people riled up, and if he's saying these things, he's not doing his research very well.

Administrative note: we don't do pure right/left politics here, so let's put a lid on that.
Old April 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #61
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
The truth is out there for those who are willing to go find it.
Sounds very X-Files-ish.

Quote:
Theblaze said nothing about freedom-group. They say Soros himself bought them. Free trial membership. Check for yourself.
I am willing to find it and I searched Theblaze. Your vague referencing did not produce what you are claiming. Have a link?

Searching for Soros and ammunition, all that comes up is this from 2011...
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011...can-gunmaking/
Old April 10, 2013, 04:12 PM   #62
thallub

Quote:
That's new to me. Theblaze said nothing about freedom-group. They say Soros himself bought them. Free trial membership. Check for yourself.
Theblaze is not a reliable source of news or anything else. Its right down there with wnd and prisonplanet.

http://factcheck.org/2011/10/george-soros-gun-grab/

Quote:
Q: Does George Soros own the company buying many firms that make guns and ammunition?

A: No. Contrary to a fanciful claim made in a viral email, the Freedom Group is not linked to the liberal billionaire. The National Rifle Association says the real owners are “strong supporters” of gun rights.
Old April 11, 2013, 12:04 AM   #63
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Administrative note: we don't do pure right/left politics here, so let's put a lid on that.
Couldn't agree more for the simple fact that we all (or should be) here support guns rights for responsible people and i have a family member that got her Ohio Concealed Carry Permit and she is left of center.

Our focus is on our rights and beliefs as responsible firearms owners. That is our battle and need not lose focus on that goal. We need the support from both sides of the political isle.

Back to topic....

I have not been shooting in over a week. I would love to go twice to three times a week. Until I can take my family and enjoy it, my weekly practice will have to do.

I don't really know for sure how this will contribute to the shortage, but i have a much lower stock than what i would like to have.

By the way...great thread!
Old April 11, 2013, 10:39 PM   #64
KBP75

What caused the ammo shortage

For anyone that wonders where the ammo is going, listen to this report. I cannot verify or confirm this, but the report is something to consider.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/afa-blogs/...-from-citizens
Old April 12, 2013, 08:33 PM   #65
xnaerughiazk

Let's all head over to the ammo reloading section, my favorite, to learn how to roll your own.

Tags
ammunition , shortage