The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
fronty

Would you buy this (870)?

I found a Remington express 870 tactical at walmart. I've been looking for one for a while, but it has been sold out. The one they had in stock had some wear on the ejector plate. I created a post in the wrong forum by mistake. I guess this is not normal. The price is 347. A local gun shop has one for 389, but I haven't looked at the condition. They also sell a mossberg 500 tactical for 319. Should I buy the one at walmart even though it shows some wear? I believe all of walmart's guns are display models. I don't know if they would have another one in the back.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:25 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

You have nothing to loose by asking for a discount on a display model. The 870 is a excellent shotgun and if a few tire kickers have cycled the action, thats less time you have to spend breaking it in.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd prefer the 870, but it'd be hard to go wrong with either one. The only question is whether they're worth that price to you. And yeah, point out the wear on the ejector plate & see if they'll knock a few bucks off. The worst thing they'll say is "no."
Old March 29, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
deputy tom

fronty, I won't buy an 870 that isn't an old Wingmaster. I'm not a snob but feel a Mossberg is a better value at a similar price point of the newer express models. I would buy the Mossberg that you found for $319.00. Just my 2 cents. tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb

Last edited by deputy tom; March 30, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
balderclev

You cannot beat an 870 for duck hunting. I don't know what you are buying it for but in 15 degree weather, the autoloaders will be begging you to borrow it. It is basically indestructible. I know a few diehard duck hunters that have not cleaned them in 4 years of heavy duck hunting....they go boom every time.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:41 PM   #6
Skarekrow88

If it were me I would buy 870 no question. Its going to get that wear from you shooting it whether you like it or not. My buddy has an 870 and its reliability is unparalleled, even after shooting extremely dirty "dragons breath" and all kinds of crazy specialty loads through it. He's never cleaned it once since owning it for about year or so. Its like the AK of pump shotguns. $347 for the 870 tactical model is a good deal from what I have seen but so is $319 for the Mossberg tactical. Go with whatever tickles your fancy the most and feels good when shouldered.