The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 18, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
shafter

Bonanza clip of reloading

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Since we all like to talk about the old western guns that held 30 rounds I thought you might like this. Cap and ball pistols to boot!
I think Ben and Hoss are shooting 1858 New Army's, Little Joe a 1851 Navy, and Adam an 1860 Army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i5vnwt17W4
Old March 18, 2011, 08:01 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks. I never noticed how good the lighting was on those shows. They were supposed to have oil or gas fired lamps in the hotel, yet the lighting was so good. There's also a framed picture covered with glass. I don't know when that practice began.

The reloading scenes were certainly the highlight.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:42 AM   #3
ClemBert

Hahahahaha at time 4:50 into the clip....I'll take Pale Rider's conversion over Little Joe's. Little Joe would have had to carry a mallet and a brass punch along with him if he was shooting any of my Colt reproductions. LOL.

Little Joe's 1851
Old March 18, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Hardcase

I'm with Clem - I think I've only got one Colt with a wedge that pops out like that! But I've got to say that I don't think that I've ever seen anybody ever reload a six shooter like that in the old TV shows. It was kind of clever in that episode, too - there wasn't any particular attention drawn to it, really.
Old March 18, 2011, 10:07 AM   #5
shafter

I remember seeing it a long time ago and finally thought to look it up and post.

Actually the wedge on my '51 comes out with hard thumb pressure.
Old March 18, 2011, 10:14 AM   #6
ClemBert

Honestly, it would make me a little nervous to have a wedge that so easily slid out.

In this "claimed" updated photo of the firearm it would appear that not only was the barrel shortened but now the firearm sports an ejector which means the firearm has a loading gate. Too bad we didn't get a pic of the other side of the firearm. I kind of wonder if this claim is just BS anyways.

Old March 18, 2011, 11:10 AM   #7
shafter

That isn't the pistol Little Joe used in Season 1. The loading-lever latch is right up near the end of the barrel on Joe's gun.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:24 PM   #8
MJN77

Don't know if it is or not, but if you actually read what the link says about the gun, it tells you that the gun has since been altered a couple of times. That would explain the difference.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Actually the wedge on my '51 comes out with hard thumb pressure.
The wedge on my 60 came out with mild thumb pressure but it was never a problem.

I thought it was funny, they fired countless rounds before reloading then Joe reloaded again without firing a shot.
Old March 18, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Hardcase

Quote:
Joe reloaded again without firing a shot.
A good scout is always prepared!

Those Cartwrights were good folks - did you notice that as soon as the bad guys got into the newspaper office, Ben and his boys put away their shootin' irons and took care of them mano a mano?
Old March 18, 2011, 07:12 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hardcase - you make a good point. One thing about television in the '60s, they didn't magnify violence like the media does today. That said, there was no shortage of people shooting people on Bonanza.

One other thing about the show is how the portray Virginia City. Broad, wide streets on flat land. Nope. Virginia City is built on a hillside and its streets are narrow. I should have known better when I first visited it.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:23 PM   #12
shafter

Haha that is true about Joe reloading and then loading again. Previously in the gunfight Ben and the boys fire a bunch of shots, probably a lot more than the total rounds in their guns. Even so, just seeing them reload is a rare sight.

Yeah Virginia City isn't quite authentic. At least in the earlier episodes it seemed a bit wilder and more dangerous. Season 1 was definately the best I think.

Oh yeah and the used HENRY"S instead of Winchesters in the early ones too.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Cowboy Jim

I would like to post a reply about the 1851 Navy conversion that is pictured . The pistol was owned by Stembridge Gun Rentals & was rented to Paramount Studios for Michael Landon's use in 1959. It is identified by serial number on Stembridge rental sheets & has been documented by Syd Stembridge, the current owner of SGR, as having been used by Michael Landon. I know this, because I own the pistol. I had paperwork identifying this pistol in hand for around 4 years before I found this pistol, & the pistol did not come from the same source as the paperwork. At some point after Bonanza, 2 inches was cut off of the barrel & the pistol was used in The Outlaw Josey Wales. It was carried by Clint Eastwood in his shoulder holster. Again, listed by serial # on Josey Wales paperwork from Stembridge & documented by Syd Stembridge to Eastwoods use. After that movie, the loading ram was removed & an ejector housing installed. And by the way, it does have a loading gate.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Dr. Strangelove

@Cowboy Jim
Well, that's pretty darn cool.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:10 PM   #15
Bishop Creek

I would really love to see an updated and better quality photo of that pistol. Is it an original Colt or a very early replica?
Old April 25, 2011, 12:02 AM   #16
zippy13

Greetings Cowboy Jim, and welcome aboard.

Congratulations on an very informative first posting.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Hardcase

Welcome aboard, Cowboy Jim! Thanks for the great info!
Old April 25, 2011, 12:46 PM   #18
Cowboy Jim

Thank you for the welcome. The pistol is an original Colt. Being a computer idiot, I will have to wait till my daughter comes over to put another photo up.
Please bear with me.
Old April 25, 2011, 01:32 PM   #19
ClemBert

Welcome to the forum Cowboy Jim. Very kewl that the owner of said firearm is a forum member. Look forward to seeing new pics of the revolver. Also interested in hearing the full run down on the history of this piece.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:18 PM   #20
Bill Akins

Welcome to the forum.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old April 25, 2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Cowboy Jim

Sorry, I'm not a professional photographer. This is the best I can do. Here is the flip side of the pistol. As far as the history of the pistol goes, it's pretty much been stated above. Stembridge sold all of their class 1 firearms in 1999 to Robert Petersen, around 8,500 guns in total. I understand he kept about 600-700 pieces, but dispersed the rest, including this pistol. In June of 2007, Petersen sold the remaining pieces he had held onto at auction through Little Johns in CA.

Old April 25, 2011, 10:47 PM   #22
Bishop Creek

Interesting! Thank you for posting a new pic and more info on Stembridge. I know that they supplied guns to the movie industry for many, many decades and have seen some of them on display in the past.