The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2010, 06:30 PM   #1
ZCORR Jay

Thinking of getting a Savage

Been thinking about getting a new Savage Arms Stevens 350 Pump Security. I've read that they seem like a cheap knock off of the Ithica model 37 which I can see. Any suggestions or experiance with either models?
Old September 8, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
oneounceload

I owned a 37 decades ago - great gun for someone like me (LH)
Old September 12, 2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not the Savage, but the Ithaca 37 has been around for over 70 years. First marketed by Remington as the Model 17, Ithaca picked it up when the patents expired. BTW, JMB designed it

The Deerslayer variant was much loved by point men during the Nam Mess. Until recently, the LAPD used them in the cruisers. So did the Secret Service at one time.

Older models had a slam fired feature. If one held the trigger back and cycled the action,it would fire as long as ammo and arms allowed. Not very practical, just a nice showoff trick. Newer ones will not do that. Newer ones will take different barrels without factory installation.

The 37 is one of my favorite pumps. I'd spend the few extra bucks picking up a used one, get it fitted and go shooting.

Forever. You can't wear them out.....
Old September 12, 2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Crosshair

Quote:
Older models had a slam fired feature. If one held the trigger back and cycled the action,it would fire as long as ammo and arms allowed. Not very practical, just a nice showoff trick.
All three of my Ithaca 37's are pre-73 models, including the rare 7+1 model. Pump firing is indeed fun.