The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 15, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1
brentfoto

Pocket Holster For Kahr CW9?

Is the new Kahr CW9 conducive to carry in a POCKET HOLSTER?

If so, please suggest some POCKET HOLSTERS that are compatible with the Kahr CW9 that you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 1, 2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Murdoch

you can always pick up an Uncle Mikes for about $15 to try it out.

I'm interested too - I'm considering getting one, and was wondering: any CW9 owners out there tried pocket carry? How's it do?
Old April 1, 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
sholling

I've never seen a pocket holster that didn't print. But you might try using the "wallet" holster that Sportsman's Guide is selling for $15. It covers the grip which makes a big difference.
Old April 1, 2008, 11:41 AM   #4
brentfoto

I'm picking up my new CW9 some time Thursday or Friday.

In the meantime, I got the DeSantis Nemesis for the K9, etc. and the Bianchi Pocket Change for the K9, etc.

Neither manufacturer lists the CW9 but DeSantis emailed me in repsonse to my inquiry and said the Nemesis for the K9 was compatible with the CW9. Note that both guns have the same length barrel-3.6"

Will report back later in the week.

Last edited by brentfoto; April 1, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Murdoch

Thanks - We'll look forward to it. The CW9 is on my list, just trying to decide whether it or a S&W 442 is first!
Old April 1, 2008, 12:26 PM   #6
brentfoto

I purchased the CW9 about a month or two after I received my 442.

A great motivating factor was the sale price on the CW9, and that it holds more rounds, and is 9mm.

I started a poll on another forum on CW9 vs. 442.

Check it out:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=350600
Old April 1, 2008, 06:46 PM   #7
brentfoto

In general re 'printing', I've found the Nemesis, SuperFly, and Mika pocket holster do not pose a problem and have minimal print.

I'm sure the same is true of my new Bianchi Pocket Change.

I find that 'printing' is more of an issue with the butt of a gun, but not with the holster per se.
Old April 1, 2008, 09:03 PM   #8
sholling

Quote:
I find that 'printing' is more of an issue with the butt of a gun, but not with the holster per se.
Exactly which is why the average pocket holster is a letdown. Very few cover the butt.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:44 PM   #9
BikerRN

Quote:
Is the new Kahr CW9 conducive to carry in a POCKET HOLSTER?

If so, please suggest some POCKET HOLSTERS that are compatible with the Kahr CW9 that you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Two Words: Robert Mika

IMNSHO the best pocket holster out there and a heck of a good guy.

Biker
Old April 1, 2008, 11:08 PM   #10
tplumeri

i dunno, at 5.9" long and 4.5" tall it wouldnt fit in MY pockets.
actually, i think my PM9 (5.3"/4.0") is too big for "no print" pocket carry.
would be great IWB or smartcarry
JMHO
Old April 2, 2008, 07:56 PM   #11
brentfoto

Quote:
sholling Quote:

Exactly which is why the average pocket holster is a letdown. Very few cover the butt.
Yesterday 04:46 PM
My experience is that the gun butt may border the corner of a pocket. It relates to the size of the gun, grip, and pocket, and not the pocket holster.

With certain grips, like the Batams or the UM boot grips, though the grip may be exposed I don't find much of a printing problem with a Nemesis or Mika, nor do I find such with Hogue Monogrips on a J-frame-but-they're rather larger grip and border on the edge of the pocket. Therein lies the problem. It's not the holster per se. JMHO
Old April 5, 2008, 02:30 AM   #12
brentfoto

Quote:
Murdoch
Thanks - We'll look forward to it. The CW9 is on my list, just trying to decide whether it or a S&W 442 is first!
04-01-2008 09:41 AM
Take a look at my comments re first range trip with my brand new CW9 - contained in post #'s 56, 60, 61 in the thread...target photos are included.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...40#post4368440

Last edited by brentfoto; April 5, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old April 5, 2008, 01:41 PM   #13
brentfoto

Initial Impressions Pocket Holsters-Nemesis & Pocket Change

(I'm not aware that Chief Mika makes a pocket holster that will fit the CW9. I have one for the 442 and I'm quite happy with it.)

My opinion is that the Kahr CW9 is suitable, not ideal, for pocket carry in a De Santis Nemesis or the Bianchi Pocket Change holsters designed for the K9. But the gun 'works' even better for pocket carry, especially in dress pants or nice slacks where pockets seem to be deeper. But it will fit in most jeans pockets as well.

New out of the box - Nemesis as better, right now, because I find it easier to make the draw with it. The Pocket Change is more difficult on the draw, but okay; it may take some break-in and practice to make the draw cleanly. Also, the butt of the gun sits slightly lower in my pocket with the Nemesis, and it's smaller than the Pocket Change. Both pocket holsters are of equal quality in materials.

In any event, suitability depends upon the size and cut of pants and pockets.

If you're concerned about any printing (not bad with either one IMO) or sagging due to the weight of the gun, someone mentioned about putting a not-too-heavily stuffed #10 envelope or whatever in the pocket. This seems to work pretty well.

The empty weight of my CW9 with magazine is only 18.5 oz. Stoked with 8 rounds of Fed P9HST2 it weighs only 22.4 oz, which, IIRC, is less than a S&W 640 EMPTY. Moreover, fully loaded it weighs exactly the same as a Bersa Thunder .380 fully loaded. The Bersa's smaller, though. But other things being equal, I'd prefer to carry 9mm +P over .380, wouldn't you?

I'd recommend pocket carry with the DeSantis Nemesis over the Pocket Change.

Last edited by brentfoto; April 5, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old April 5, 2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Murdoch

brentfoto

Excellent review - thanks! I'll probably start with the 642/442, simply because I have some situations coming up where pocket (or even ankle) carry will be about my only option, but rest assured, a CW9 will follow soon!
Old April 5, 2008, 09:58 PM   #15
brentfoto

If I had it to do all over again, I don't think I may have purchased the snubbie. Have you ever shot it with multiple +P rounds? You're in for a real 'treat'-if you're somewhat masochistic. . The gun also requires a significant amount of time devoted to practice in order to adequately defend yourself.

Just got back from my second range trip with the Kahr CW9. It shoots so much more accurately for me than the J, and with 9mm +P (and even with the Buffalo Bore +P+) it's so much easier on my hand. And, of course, there's the additional capacity to deal with multiple attackers, which I believe is a real possibility.

I think I could've gotten along just fine with the Kahr alone and not the 442, but not vice-versa.

They're both great, but in all candor, the J is a PITA to shoot. And it's a PITA to find suitable grips for prolonged practice with +P's. YMMV. Remember-you've got to practice... a lot!

But it DOES conceal better.

I'm voting for the Kahr CW9 over the Airweight in the poll that I started on THR. Off to cast my vote!

Last edited by brentfoto; April 6, 2008 at 01:17 AM.