The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2002, 09:37 PM   #1
priv8ter

Shotgun Capacity

Hi. I have a 20ga Auto that I purchased from a friend of mine a few months ago. I got it for all the usual reasons(Home defence, trap, skeet). I'm not now into bird hunting, not sure if I ever will get into it.

My only real problem with the gun is it's capacity. It's a Ted Williams Model 300, and it only holds 3 rounds. I would like a little more than that should I ever need to actually use it in a bad situation. Back when I was a pup, I remember people talking about 'pulling the plug' to get more rounds into a gun. Am I just remembering poorly, or is this for real?

If it is for real, is it tough to do, and is it legal? I know some places have capacity limits for hunting, but I'm going to do any of that, so, and hints for me?
Old May 14, 2002, 09:44 PM   #2
biere

The plug is a chunk of who knows what, I never have had a shotgun with it just read about it, that keeps the limit to 3 usually.

If you can dismantle the tube the shells go in, you will see if there is a plug or not. Now first, is the tube longer than 3 shells?

Cause if the tube is short then there is not likely a plug.

In some cases the spring and what not works just fine without the plug giving you full capacity of who knows how many shells.

I suppose others should know more, I have little eperience with shotguns. And never have dismantled mine.
Old May 15, 2002, 03:45 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some autos do have a plug in the magazine that can be removed, some do not. I briefly had a High Standard 20 ga auto that was limited to three shells due to the auto mechanism.

Try posting this down on the Smithy BB.

HTH...
Old May 15, 2002, 10:11 AM   #4
MK11

I dunno, three rounds of shotgun ammo isn't too bad. I think the Remington Home Defense Model is just 4+1. I like a two-shot Coach gun in the house because they're so handy and easy to use, but I also keep a couple loaded revolvers on top of that.
Old May 15, 2002, 12:47 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

IIRC, the Ted is probably a Winchester 1400 (?). He should have 4 round cap in the mag tube.

Giz