The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2018, 04:50 PM   #26
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Two points here. If you are not an experienced bullet caster, why are you giving casting advice? Also, it is not 20% Zinc that the friend is likely using. It is more likely (up to) 2% Tin...a big difference in the result.
Keep zinc out of lead alloys....it contaminates the mix and ruins a pot of metal. The bullets cast from zinc contaminated lead never fill out properly and have wrinkles.

An excellent hunting bullet alloy is Clip on Wheel Weights and scrap lead 50-50 to enhance the castability 1% tin can be added but may not be needed.
I've cast a lot of bullets without adding tin .

Congratulations on the two deer....you can't argue with success !
Gary
Old December 3, 2018, 08:03 PM   #27
E.J.W.

Just my $.02

I shot a deer this season with an old Ruger SA in 45 Colt. First hunt with this revolver. Load was a 250gr RNFP cast at .454" (this 1973 vintage SA has oversize cylinder openings) on top of 16.5gr of 2400. Don't have a chronograph, but it should be near 1000 fps out the 7.5". Very accurate from the bench so once in the field its up to me to perform. He didn't go more than 50 yards. Quick clean kill.
Should make a nice rifle load as well. My next "toy" will be a lever in 45 Colt.
As always reduce any load by 10% and start there.
Good luck.
E.