The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 1, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
XDm-9mm

Do you name your guns?

I just got my first handgun for Christmas, a Springfield XD(m) 9mm. I striped it, cleaned it and was getting familiar with it loading snap caps and dry firing when my wife asked me "what are you going to name it"?

So I'm curious, do you have names for your guns?
Old January 1, 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
Dave85

I haven't, but someone else has. My Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk 2 has "Glenda" carved into the well-worn stock just to the rear of the trigger guard. It was there when I bought it, and it's fun to wonder at the story behind it. My friends all refer to that gun simply as "Glenda" now.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Something I don't get...

A lot of people seem to do it, but personally I don't name inanimate objects.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4
vranasaurus

My wife names hers but I don't name mine.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:14 PM   #5
rbernie

Giving names to lumps of hardware seems vaguely creepy. It's also a very non-scalable behavior; I'd have run out of names a long time ago...
Old January 1, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave85
I haven't, but someone else has.
Yeah, mine too! Really good names, like Model 36, Sp101, and 12K.

But no, it seems silly to personify hardware.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Sport45

XDm-9mm, Welcome to The Firing Line!

Quote:
I striped it
What color stripes did you put on it? Paint, or the tape you can get at the auto parts store?

Just kidding around, enjoy your new gun. No, I don't name any of mine unless you consider Garand, Redhawk, etc, to be names.
Old January 1, 2010, 11:49 PM   #8
globemaster3

Of my arsenal, only 1 has a name, and it was given by the group I duck hunted with 15 years ago.

It's a Ted Williams model 300 semi-auto 12 gauge with a poly-choked, 28-inch, vent rib barrel. Its in 90% condition: 90% of the finish is gone, the bluing is scratched, rubbed, etc. The stock has more dings in it than the local golf driving range. But, I bought it for $75 when I was 18, it runs on any 2 3/4 I give it, and has taken more ducks and geese than I can count. I throw it in the bottom of the duck boat and am not concerned about it getting stepped on, wet, dirty, etc. I just laugh watching the other guys gingerly handle their $1000+ auto 12s.

Its name is "Boat Paddle". The guys thought if we ever lost the real paddle, my gun could pull double duty.
Old January 1, 2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Crosshair

I typically don't, but I do have two that I have named.

1. A Blued Taurus 66+ 7-shot in .357. This one is named "Serious Sam". Yes, after the video game.
2. Taurus Tracker in 45 ACP. This one I call "Dragon" because the muzzle ports combined with smokey cast handloads sometimes give a nice puff of smoke out of the ports like a dragon.

A third that I am thinking about naming is my Tom Denall Silent Destroyer in 44 mag. I'm going to do some artwork on the tube cover, and possibly the stock, of one of my favorite online comic characters. It's either going to be named "Cougar" or "Sandusky". "Cougar" is my current favorite.
Old January 2, 2010, 12:07 AM   #10
RockyMtnTactical

I never named any of my guns until I got this one.

It's name: "SWEETNESS"
Old January 2, 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
shortwave

Only one and it was sent back to dealer a few years back.

It had several names every time it stovepiped or FTE.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:36 AM   #12
ClayInTx

I have one which has a name. I won’t use it and won’t sell it or give it away because someone might depend on it for SD and it fail; I don’t want that mark against me. It’s one of the new polymers, a semi, is very small, and made specifically for SD.

Let me check the guide lines to see if I can tell you what I’ve named it.

Nope, just got back from the guidle lines and they will not accept #@$%# %$#@ #$#$ %$##!!*$$.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:43 AM   #13
TsocketslugK

My eldest brother named his 710 chuck norris because it round house kicks whatever you kill
Old January 2, 2010, 12:32 PM   #14
DubC-Hicks

I named my Norinco M-54-1 tokarev clone "the flamethrower." That 7.62x25 round makes one heck of a fire ball.
Old January 2, 2010, 01:06 PM   #15
Charger Fan

I don't usually name my guns, but I couldn't help myself when these twins came along. Ed & Fred is a pair of sequential 2-digit Dan Wesson Model 12's...the guns that started it all, in 1970.

Pete & Repeat are model 15 & 715 (blued & stainless) Fixed Barrel 3" Dan Wesson .357's...only made for a short time.

No names for my other guns, yet.
Old January 2, 2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Only if they break an an inopportune time like in the middle of a rapid fire string at the All Army Matches. One time front sight fell off, one time my recoil spring went down range about 15 yards.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 2, 2010, 06:58 PM   #17
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbernie
Giving names to lumps of hardware seems vaguely creepy.
Really?

The Navy does it with every ship.....

Three generations ago, there were clever names....

And hopeful names...

And personal ones...

Naming inanimate objects isn't new, it isn't the sign of some kind of psychosis or character flaw. It's something we do to differentiate OUR stuff from other people's stuff.

The only time I use "names" for my guns is to communicate to likewise armed friends what I'm carrying when in a public venue. Saying "I brought Kim(ber) along" let's them know I have a 1911. "The lady" is my .32 S&W Long while "Ethel" (Merman) is the .32 Magnum (a loud lady). I'm sure some folks would figure out "Gaston" (Glock). My Model 25 .45ACP is nicknamed "Jesus" because that's what everyone says when they see the size of the muzzle.

There are more clever little things I won't bore you with.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:03 PM   #18
BigJimP

No .......

and I don't put any "product" in my hair either ..... and I've stayed with the same aftershave for the last 50 years "Brut" ......and I don't care if I smell like somebody's grandpa / because I am one .....

All of my guns have their own names: Browning, Benelli, Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Smith & Wesson ....
Old January 2, 2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Pahoo

You mean, like;
"Little Bill"
"Killer"
"Little Sister"
"Big Brother"
"Old School"
"Whitey"
"Slick"

Would't think of it !!! ... :barf:
Keep in mind that Buckskinners are big into Camp-Names !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 2, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:20 PM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Certainly!

Mine!
Mine!
All Mine!
Old January 2, 2010, 07:33 PM   #21
80viking

I have 2 Mausers from South America. M1908, from Brazil that someone scratched Adalina in her stock. She couldn't hit anything to save her life.
The other one is a Buenos Aries Policia in 7.65 Argentine [identical to standard model] that someone scratched Bonita in her stock. This one can really shoot!
Old January 2, 2010, 07:44 PM   #22
igor

Heck no. Creepy.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old January 2, 2010, 07:48 PM   #23
Elvishead

I only have one pistol with a name!
Old January 2, 2010, 10:13 PM   #24
bullspotter

Yep I named my carry gun...... Sara and the kids. This is mostly for code.

Ran into an issue at a freinds house one time, they have no problem with me and Sara and the kids, But they had some other freinds over that had some serious problems for some reason with Sara and the kids, Im so use to it now, ill take my coat off sometimes and forget about it, exposing it. We had a talk about it and it was resolved. When they are over, Sara and the kids goto the car. I have no problems with this, as i dont want to creat any issues with my freinds and their freinds. we all get together often and play cards.

Most everyone I know, freinds along with family all know I carry, I like them to know, especialy if im in their home, I feel they have the right to know im armed in their home, I think its better to ask me if needed about Sara and the kids, insted of just blurting out "hey you have your gun on!!!" in front of everyone.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:13 PM   #25
DanThaMan

I never have.. but my buddies in the army all do