The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 28, 2018, 05:38 PM   #1
exit30

Blacked out rear sights update

[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]I was searching for the right medium for blacking out my rear sight, Matte Black Rustoleum was it. I didn't spray it directly on the sight, but created a small puddle on a piece of tin foil, using a q tip I dabbed it on the sight being sure to hit the two white dots. Great thing is, it can be removed with nail polish remover.

Sorry, I tried to add a photo, but no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180728_145905_528 (1).jpg (123.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by exit30; July 28, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old August 5, 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
aimtrue

I simply use a black SHARPIE fine point. The tip hits the white dots and I am good to go.
Old August 5, 2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Mike38

I will never understand why companies make, and some people prefer rear sights with colored dots. Your focus has to be on the front sight, and front sight only. Rear sights with colored dots draw your sight focus from the front to the rear. Accuracy drops when that happens. If those two dot rear sights, or white outline rear sights in the shape of a U or squared U where more accurate, you'd see them on the line of a Precision Pistol match. Guess what? You won't see them on the line of a Precision Pistol match because those types of rear sight ruin accuracy.

Sure, if you're only goal is hitting a full sized silhouette at 5 yards, the two dot rear sights will work just fine. But then I'd say, no sights will work just fine. You should be able to hit a full sized silhouette at 5 yards with no sights at all. If you can't, put the gun away until you can get some serious and lengthy professional training.
Old August 5, 2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

You can remove the Rustoleum with nail polish remover, but it will probably also remove the white paint.
Old August 5, 2018, 06:09 PM   #5
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimtrue View Post
I simply use a black SHARPIE fine point. The tip hits the white dots and I am good to go.
Second the Big Black Magic Marker , cheap , easy and effective . Lots easier than the Spray Paint and it can be removed when you want it gone.
Gary