The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 12, 2001, 07:20 PM   #1
MP-44

Black Powder Rifle Problems

My son was given a CVA Bobcat. The problem was there was something stuck in the barrel. His cousin had a bullet puller and would screw it into the blockage until it became tight but when they pulled it out they sais just what looked to be wadding would be in the threads. So they attempted to unscrew the plug from the rear of the rifle. The end of the plug that sticks out broke off. My question is, will this make the rifle dangerous to shoot (if we remove the blockage)? The plug looks fime except the piece that stuck out with the flat sides. Taking it to the gunsmith would cost at least half as much as the cost of a new rifle. I did not know if this was a routine problem that did not effect the safety of the rifle. If it does I guess its a wall hanger then. Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, does anyone know how much one of these plugs cost? I might try to drill it then use a large easy out. I e-mailed CVA last week but received no reply.
Old November 12, 2001, 11:11 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt an easy out will pull that plug. Not only does CVA crank them down tight, but they rust solidly in place from lack of cleaning. If the tang (the thin extension) has a screw hole in it, I would not fire the rifle without it.

No matter what, do not try to load the rifle until the obstruction is removed from the bore. Remove the cleanout screw and try to get as much penetrant oil in there as possible. Then get the proper wrench (many stores that carry the guns have them) and use a good heavy vise with brass jaws and a long wrench extension. Once the breech plug is out, you should be able to drive the obstruction out, clean the rifle thoroughly, and install a new breech plug.

Jim
Old November 13, 2001, 12:12 AM   #3
mgnew

I'll agree with Jim on this one, don't shoot it untill you have cleared the bore. You can remove the nipple and take it to a hardware store and have the threads checked, some have the same thread pitch as a zirk fitting(grease alimite) if you can find one with the same thread pitch screw it in and use a grease gun to pump the obstruction out, I've done this several times at my shop.
If it is the tang you have broken off take it to a gunsmith or welding shop and have them weld it back on and touch it up with cold blue it won't be as good as the original finish but it will do.
With any luck you can do it for under $20.
Good luck,
Keith
Old November 13, 2001, 02:44 AM   #4
Jim Burton

One thing you might check. Most CVA sidelock rifles have the drum installed after the breachpug. First the breachpug is installed, then the hole for the drum is drilled through the barrel and into the breachplug, then after the drum is installed, the breachplug and drum are redrilled from the bore. This means the drum locks the breachplug. On my hawken, CVA was very definite that breachplug removal was a factory job.

Jim
Old November 13, 2001, 07:39 PM   #5
rr41mag

blackpowder

Can we back up here a minute? I noticed you said your son was given this rifle. Well with that in mind why not take it to a smith just to see what he says? I think if you indicate that you may be willing to buy some assys from him he may just take care of it while you shop. Besides that if he charges a couple bucks and removes the plug your not really out much.

Just my .02 worth