The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 15, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1
hstr6

homeless with guns

i will be homeless in my car and i own a shotgun. i was wanting to buy a 22 bolt action also. i was going to keep them locked up and unloaded and take whatever other legal precautions necessary to make them as legal and unsuspicious as possible while in my car. i know that federal law protects a driver driving from a legal location to another legal location in transport but im talking about actually living out of my car and sleeping in my car at night.

is this legal for me to do so? if you dont know because of differing state regulation then just give a generalized answer and how you think law enforcement would handle the situation if for some reason they searched my homeless vehicle and found my locked unloaded long guns in the trunk.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Davey

Sorry to hear of your situation. I would imagine your answers depend largely on which state you live in.

If you are truly in a transient phase in your life you may want to relocate, if possible, to a gun friendly state. Perhaps Vermont or Arizona?

You may have the most freedom there when it comes to keeping guns in your car, including loaded guns for defense.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Don P

Quote:
is this legal for me to do so? if you dont know because of differing state regulation then just give a generalized answer and how you think law enforcement would handle the situation if for some reason they searched my homeless vehicle and found my locked unloaded long guns in the trunk.
Duh-huh where do you live??? Bad place to be looking for legal advise. 98% opinion and 2% chance of a answer being right.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4
chack

the laws vary widely from state to state and city to city, you need to list a state, and city too if in a larger city.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5
hstr6

florida now and minnesota later
Old November 15, 2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Young.Gun.612

Now is a bad time to be moving to Minnesota if you don't have a home. The gun laws here aren't too harsh, but the winter is.

Have you considered talking to a friend or relative about storing your guns at their house?
Old November 15, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
ripnbst

I think you would be fine as long as they were being transported legally. I don't imagine you have a carry permit do you?

Again, varies state to state but in OK having a CCW permit allows you to transport long arms with the gun loaded so long as there isn't one in the chamber so a shotgun is a pump away from being used as more than a baton and a bolt action is only a bolts throw out of commission.

Do you plan to load it at night and keep it near you for protection or something? If I was you I'd park in nice neighborhoods for the night.

If you don't plan to keep them accessible I'd say keeping guns in the trunk is about as inconspicuous as it gets, you cant see them from the exterior. Keeping the ammo not in the trunk has you in the clear legally.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If I was you I'd park in nice neighborhoods for the night.
That often invites arrest or hassle for "suspicious character" and vagrancy laws may apply...

Keep in mind, florida requires a VALID address on your ID and you have only 10 days to change it... If officer stops you 11 days later and you still have same invalid address you can expect the officer to push the issue.

If you wish to PM me I can share my knowledge of such circumstances...

I wish not to share my experiences with everyone nor do I want some folks to know how we do things when we are in a bind and without a dwelling to roost in.

Brent
Old November 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #9
orangello

Consider Mississippi, starts with an M like MN and is hot and humid like FL, but car carry is legal here if the carrier is above 18 and legal to have the firearm, concealed or not.

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.n...s?OpenDocument
(
Quote:
2)
It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen(18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.
MS isn't all bad.
Old November 15, 2011, 05:08 PM   #10
g.willikers

Florida law allows loaded guns in cars, without a permit.
Handguns need to be in a container, not sure about rifles and shotguns.
RVs are considered homes, maybe a live in car is, also.
Old November 15, 2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Crazy88Fingers

Guns in the trunk are just fine here in Florida.
Old November 15, 2011, 08:37 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Guns in the cabin of a vehicle are fine too! Loaded even... One in the chamber even... Not on safety even...
Just not in plain sight to the general passerby... here in florida.

Brent
Old November 15, 2011, 08:41 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Florida law specifies "firearm" no hand gun... Long guns are legal too.

Might need to keep them in a case since they may not fit in the center console or glove box.

Brent
Old November 15, 2011, 09:21 PM   #14
ripnbst

Or get crafty and put it in the back seat with a shirt/shirts/blanket over it.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:37 PM   #15
Crazy88Fingers

"Just not in plain sight to the general passerby" is concealed carry and requires a CCW permit. Without a permit the gun must not be "readily accessible". Which means in a case, glove box, or even a holster with a backstrap. For a long gun a case seems to be the way to go.

Though you might as well keep it in the trunk since I can't help but question your ability to maneuver a shotgun within the confines of a vehicle.
Old November 16, 2011, 03:40 PM   #16
markj

If you were my son I would want you to come home for a spell. Till you get back on your feet. Always have chores to do to make some whip out.

Call your family if you have some. They may be worried about you.
Old November 16, 2011, 06:06 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Crazy88, Your info is dated. The only time in a vehicle that a permit is required is if the firearm is "on the person". Under the seat, it needs to be IN a case or holster and no retention is required.

In a glovebox or console box, no holster is required as the box handles the encased aspect.

This has been the case for several years. No 3 steps or any other mumbo jumbo. It can be readily accessible. It can be in any state of readiness including a chambered round and no safety needs engaged to meet legal terms.

Brent
Old November 17, 2011, 02:43 PM   #18
HoraceHogsnort

Homeless people definitely need guns. Case in point: Several years ago I was shopping in a gun store in south Modesto and a wino came in. He wanted to buy a gun because the other winos were stealing his wine!!
Old November 17, 2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Crazy88Fingers

Florida Statute 790.25 subsection 5, from 2011.

Quote:
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes...s/0790.25.html
Old November 17, 2011, 09:01 PM   #20
leadcounsel

Quote:
Bad place to be looking for legal advise. 98% opinion and 2% chance of a answer being right.
Exactly where is someone with no money (about to be homeless) going to get legal advice...?

I think the answers here are pretty good.

I think you seriously need to focus on NOT BEING HOMELESS... I suspect the life span of a homeless person is pretty short. I would also expect serious problems, to include police harassment, drugs, alcohol abuse, diseases, illness, excellerated health problems and aging, becoming the victim of criminal activity and property crime, etc. Once you're arrested, your property on your person will be confiscated and then you can expect your car to be looted while you are in lockup.

Seems that even the lowest paying job would be enough to at least have a modest home. Maybe sell your car for at least a years worth of rent and get some work to pay for monthy bills....
Old November 17, 2011, 09:14 PM   #21
briandg

been a long time since you paid rent, lead counsel?

I don't honestly think that a person can get a roof over their heads anywhere in america at this time for much less than $3-500 per month. I'm not sure that there has ever been a worse time to be poor in america for at least half a century.

I'm supposing that the poster is looking at these weapons as a source of nutrition.

Good luck to him.
Old November 17, 2011, 10:41 PM   #22
orangello

^^^ On the plus side, the morally flexible can avail themselves of many opportunities for comfortable temporary housing in all the vacant homes that have been forclosed upon.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:13 PM   #23
carguychris

Quote:
I'm supposing that the poster is looking at these weapons as a source of nutrition.
I was thinking the same thing. On that note, I would suggest an older .22 bolt-action single-shot. Reasons:
  • Legal to possess pretty much anywhere that a firearm can be legally possessed.
  • Very non-threatening and therefore unlikely to be taken away if the OP is rousted by the police for some reason.
  • Many older designs are takedowns. Not only does this make it easier to transport the gun, it's also easy to store it in a "disassembled" and/or "non-functional" state for added legal protection in restrictive jurisdictions. (For example, a Winchester Model 67 can be taken down or reassembled in seconds using only a penny as a tool.)
  • On a more practical note, they're generally cheap to buy and about as unbreakable as firearms come.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:57 PM   #24
leadcounsel

Rent

Okay, let's say that he can get $500 or even $1000 for his car.

Clearly a $300 apartment is better than living in a car or on the street. $1000 buys him 2 months rent and security deposit and some basic groceries for a week or two

$8 per hour x 40 hours per week x 4 weeks = $1280 per month. Not getting rich, but also not homeless. Able to pay your bills. Also likely qualify for aid like food stamps.

Keep in mind, without an address he's likely not going to get a job.

I was poor once too, and have lived in my share of dumpy houses and apartments. But you do what you have to do to get by. Homeless would just simply NOT be an option.

To keep this on point for guns, what if his car that he's living in gets robbed or towed while he's out getting food? He could lose everything. Impounded? That would cost him a lot of $ to get it out, and presumably he'd not be able to get it out of impound and he'd lose his guns in the process.
Old November 18, 2011, 02:14 AM   #25
youngunz4life

go to keywest(I'm guessing you said MN when it is summer). You might be able to make some cash down there by posting a sign: "dirty jokes for a dollar" or something. There are lots of homeless there and it is 'alive' 24/7 due to crusie ships, tourists and so-on. I like the dude with the dog that grabs dollars from people's mouth. ghost tours, whatever, theres stuff to do to earn some cah and its warm. I saw a bunch of dudes hiking there when I drove