The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 18, 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Splitear_Leland

I think I found it.

Hello everyone,
I posted a little while back that I was looking for a 9mm, and I received a lot of response on what I should get. Today I stopped by a local gun shop, and I think I found what I am looking for. They had a Belgium made Browning Hi-Power, in what I would call pretty good shape. I asked to look at it, and it felt really good in hand. It was slightly out of my price range, priced at $500, but I'm thinking about going to buy it on Monday. I would ask all of you if you think $500 is a fair price, and if you think the shop owner would be offended if I tried to haggle down to $450, which is a little closer to my price range. All of the firearms that I have right now I have bought at swap meets, so I am used to haggling, but I'm not used to buying from a shop. The last thing I want to do is make a guy mad. Please let me know what you think, and if all goes well I'll be posting a few pictures up sometime next week.
Old February 18, 2011, 09:51 PM   #2
jglsprings

Get it.

Haggle him a bit.

Take cash.

Only show him the 450.00 you want to pay.

Commas save lives...
Old February 18, 2011, 09:55 PM   #3
stokesj19

I dont think he is going to get mad at you negotiating the price. The worst thing he can say is no.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4
danez71

$50 off is only 10% so, No, I dont think thats insulting to ask. Just dont expect it.

I'm very partial to the BHP so of course I'm gunna say its worth it....However, I do think that is a good price if it looks good.
Old February 18, 2011, 11:11 PM   #5
mr kablammo

Much less, about $200, than I see in Austin.
Old February 18, 2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

With used guns I think it is totally ok to haggle. I am sure he haggled the guy he bought it from. Good luck with that, never had or shot a BHP but from what I hear the are great guns.
Old February 19, 2011, 12:30 AM   #7
Chesster

Sounds like a BUY. Always haggle. U never know.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 19, 2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Rspeters

If you want to have a chance at getting it for $ 450, then start your offer at $ 400. If he has any room to come down on the price, and knows even a little bit about haggling then you'll have a decent shot at it.
Old February 19, 2011, 01:02 AM   #9
triumph666

the gunstore most likely paid 275-300 for it or gave trade in value for it...show him 425 an when he says no say you have a bank card with you that can prob put another 25 on it an maybe enough to get the tax taken care off and DO NOT forget the pouty face...good hagglin is all about you walking away with the pouty face lol
Old February 21, 2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Splitear_Leland

Update

I just wanted to give an update on my search for a 9mm. I went to the shop today with $500 cash in my pocket to buy a Browning Hi Power. To my surprise, the $499 that was listed on the tag on Friday was marked out and it had $599 in its place. When I asked about the price change, I was told that there was a misunderstanding, and that $599 was the price. So I offered the guy watching the counter $500 cash for it, and he said that he would go ask. I heard him ask, and then I heard the owner laugh. They told me no, and that they already had a couple other guys looking at it.
So, I would say that the deal as a whole was a bust. Even though I was kind of offended by the owner laughing at my offer, I'll go back in a month, and if it is still there, I'll make the same offer. Thanks for everyones help!
Old February 21, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11
LockedBreech

Not only is that irritating the price changed, but also a bit unprofessional that your offer got laughed at when that's what they had it marked at previously.
Old February 21, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
tosnyder

If you liked the BHP so much check out a CZ75 I believe it is based off of the BHP design, someone please correct me if im wrong about that. Anyway you should be able to find one BNIB for about 500, especially at a gun show. Great pistol, very accurate.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13655

Checked my claim on the CZ being a BHP clone. Some say it, some say no, some say maybe? Anyway found an article detailing the differences and similarities between the two, if nothing else it makes for a good read.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/B...20and%20CZ.htm

Sorry, I keep thinking of things, the CZ75 aslo has a .22 conversion that you can purchase later on for added fun/flexibility.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...kadet-adapter/

Last edited by tosnyder; February 22, 2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:50 PM   #13
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitear_Leland:
Even though I was kind of offended by the owner laughing at my offer, I'll go back in a month, and if it is still there, I'll make the same offer. Thanks for everyones help!
Man, you are a lot more forgiving than I am. The change in price plus the laughing at your offer of the original price would drive me away forever. My money is more precious to me than to spend it with a jerk like that. But that's just me.
Old February 22, 2011, 07:12 PM   #14
blchandl2

Maybe they read the forum and knew you were interested.
Old February 22, 2011, 07:25 PM   #15
vyse.04

If it is in good shape, I'd say $500 is a good price. They are also going for about $100-$150 more around my way.
Old February 22, 2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Splitear_Leland

bl,
Perhaps you are right. I should be careful what I'm posting
Old February 22, 2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Check out a CZ75 I believe it is based off of the BHP design, someone please correct me if im wrong about that.
I agree that the CZ-75B could be a good alternative, but the CZ-75 has NOTHING in common with the BHP but a general similar profile. The internals are completely different.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:16 AM   #18
highcaliberprovider

I will echo that laughing at you was unprofessional at best. I frequently get made offers that I can't take or that are ridiculously low. I always reply with: "I really wish I could do that price, but I just cant do it and still make money." Most everyone understands that it is a business and it's there to make money. I don't know how many times I've heard "get your heart right". Don't try to appeal to our emotions; most of us won't try to rip you off and insinuating that we are is insulting and will not get you a good deal. The guy that is deliberately ripping you off could care less about you anyway. A simple; "What is the best you can do on this?" is an effective starting point. From that point you generally only have $5-$10 that can be haggled. Haggleing is not a game as some seem to want to believe. It is a method used too determine exactly how much money I can make off of a given product and still keep the customer happy. It has nothing to do with any one specific person or technique.

I will quit ranting, it just kinda bugs me that a lot of "honest gun guys" get insulted cause they can't pay what they want to for something they don't need and fail to realize that us dealers are trying to feed our families too.

That having been said, take a look at the Argentinian HPs. If I'm not mistaken jgsales.com still has some. Look at buying one from them and simply paying a transfer cost.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:25 AM   #19
group17

With all the fine pistols in the $500 range you should have no problem with replacing your lost Hi power with something just as nice from another manufacturer or another store.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:27 AM   #20
highcaliberprovider

Amen group17. Hell, I have a Glock 22compensated 3rd gen that I will sell you for $450.