The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Chris17404

prescription shooting glasses

Hi all,

Can somebody recommend a quality place to order some prescription shooting glasses? I need some for the skeet range. I am new to shotgunning, and wear relatively small-framed glasses. I'd like to get some larger one for shooting. I do have a pair of old "aviator" type sunglasses. Could re-using those and putting new lenses in be another option? What color of lenses do you recommend for an all-purpose, all-conditions shooting lense? What else should I know and consider? Thanks!

Chris
Old January 23, 2006, 11:13 PM   #2
RUT

There are plenty of places to get them, but here's where I got mine.

http://www.morganoptical.net/pageDis...p?pageid=12961
Old January 24, 2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Shotgunner84

Go to any optomitrist. Ask for PolyCarb lenses. They are shatter resistant, and what good shooting glasses are made from. That's what I have and are acceptable at my local gun clubs as safety eyewear.
Old January 24, 2006, 03:54 AM   #4
glockopop

I'm an ABO certified optician at a national chain store. The shooting glasses I just got are made by Bolle. They're actually supposed to be for golf, but a yellow lens is equally good for shooting. The nice thing is that it has a removable insert so I can wear them with contacts. I got these because they were discounted as they were so old. If given the choice, I'd get WileyX. They're used by US Special Forces and are made to ANSI Z87 standards, which are the same as industrial safety glasses and have a minimum thickness of 3mm as opposed to 2mm on a standard lens. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it is. The important thing, whatever you get, is something that actually covers your eyes all the way around. Wearing my standard glasses, I've gotten many a shell casing that landed right between the lens and my eye. A yellow or amber lens is best for shooting because it is high-contrast and makes it easier to make out hits on a target. As shotgunner said, the main thing is that they be polycarbonate. It is by far the most shatter resistant material. Don't be a cheapskate and get plastic. When plastic breaks it cracks. When poly is hit it bends, but doesn't break. At my store, poly is only $30 more and well worth it. DO NOT under any circumstances get glass lenses. Even if they are approved as safety glasses, when glass breaks it shatters into small, blinding shards. Sorry this is long-winded, but this is the question I always want someone to ask me at work, so I've given it a lot of thought.
Old January 31, 2006, 09:11 PM   #5
OneInTheChamber

Just don't consider lense size, but also the distance from your face to the lens. This comes from experience. I had a .22 shell land in there and burn my face.

I had to let it sit there for a second as I set down the loaded pistol it came from. I didn't want to be waving the gun around as a tried to get my glasses off.