The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 15, 2018, 11:41 PM   #26
GarandTd

That pistol is gorgeous. It is a work of art. So long as you acquired it honestly, it is a piece to be proud of. I'm a simple guy and I like my cheap guns, but I sure can appreciate what others enjoy just as much. Thank you for sharing.
Old June 16, 2018, 01:32 AM   #27
bac1023

Quote:
My point is that for the price, there are guns just as good for half the cost. The only thing you can't get from those guns though is the experience of owning an FK BRNO, which is why I say I hope you enjoy the gun.

I would say the same thing to the person who owns the Rolex.

I'm glad that extravagant things exist because the relative nature of them compared to similar things helps rank what's better and what's worse, I just don't see why I'd buy a really nice gun over say, a used car or rent for a whole year or food for the next 2 years.
With all due respect, it’s all relative. This isn’t even one of my most valuable handguns, so I didn’t look at the price as overly extravagant. I own more than enough vehicles, so buying a used car just to depreciate or paying 12 months of someone else’s mortgage are not my idea of being smart about money. Handguns are a hobby, but also an investment for me.

I still don’t see what your point is. I also don’t quite understand how you’re so sure it has equals at half the price. I’ve been in the exotic gun business for many years and I have yet to see that. Once again, these pistols aren’t for everyone, nor are they intended to be.
Old June 16, 2018, 10:00 AM   #28
William Munny

For that kind of money they should at least put a proper grip screw on it. What is it with the Czech gun makers and their Phillips head grip screws on everything? Looks cheapy to me. JMO
Old June 16, 2018, 11:46 AM   #29
wild cat mccane

Not judging your decision to send that level, but I would be absolutely leery of a brand new design which requires a new bullet.

Say it doesn't work out. That gun is worth less than nothing.
Old June 16, 2018, 01:25 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
That would be true from a shooter standpoint. From a collector standpoint, I would imagine that the value would go way up.
Old June 16, 2018, 02:17 PM   #31
mk70ss

Reminds me of a Sig P210. Nice gun!

Last edited by mk70ss; June 16, 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old June 16, 2018, 04:20 PM   #32
bac1023

Quote:
Not judging your decision to send that level, but I would be absolutely leery of a brand new design which requires a new bullet.

The new round was the whole point to the gun.

I’m a collector first, shooter second. If it flops I’m fine with that. The gun will rise in value as time goes by. It’s all good.
Old June 16, 2018, 04:23 PM   #33
AK103K

Quote:
Do you have a source for ammo and how much is it?
I was in a shop about a month ago that two of these that had literally just come in door. The owner asked me if I wanted to see a $7500 handgun. I said sure. Nice gun, but I didn't see it being $7500, but hey, if you have it and are willing to spend it, what do I care. Apparently, both of the guns he had were already sold.

The owner was claiming they were shooting elk at 150 yards with them. OK. Ill watch.

He had ammo with the guns. Its a bottleneck round. According to him, ammo is $75 a box of 50.

I was in the same shop the other day, and asked about them again. The boy behind the counter was saying that one of the guys who bought one, had been shooting his, and was complaining about the recoil.

Guess Ill never know. But if he'd be willing to let me try, Im up for it.
Old June 18, 2018, 06:57 AM   #34
Skans

That's a beautiful pistol!
Old June 19, 2018, 01:23 PM   #35
5whiskey

Quote:
I'm glad that extravagant things exist because the relative nature of them compared to similar things helps rank what's better and what's worse, I just don't see why I'd buy a really nice gun over say, a used car or rent for a whole year or food for the next 2 years.
I understand your sentiment. I'm in the same boat. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a pistol, just because I'm working class and have a wife and 3 kids to feed at home (kid 4, er should I say kid 1, moved out and is on his own now). But I work hard to put some money away for retirement, and my dream is to start a business that will earn me good money on top of my pension later on in life. It may work, or it may fail... but I will have given it my best either way. At that point, if I succeed, I could probably justify dropping money on one or two really nice guns. A Les Baer might be an option at that point... or maybe even a BRNO.

I have to admit that I can immediately see, even in pictures, the quality of workmanship that went into this pistol. The price tag is not a major shock to me. I knew immediately upon seeing the pictures that it was not something I would be able to even save up for.

Quote:
What I enjoy,my satisfaction,is I made something I can't afford to buy.

And a lot of folks with money can't buy what I can do. Some will never know the experiences I've had from Alaska to Baja.

And that's OK. We all get dealt a fresh hand of cards every day.
Here here... a man after my own heart. My wife gets mad at my garage projects (which typically include making things I couldn't justify spending the money on purchasing), but I enjoy building something and saying "I would spend good money on that if I had the money to spend" when I finish.

Quote:
To be able to enjoy is its own wealth.
Yes it is. If my kids ask about the "secret of life" (which used to be a big question, nowadays most folks are too distracted to ask) I tell them "contentment."

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 19, 2018, 03:54 PM   #36
745SW

"What does a Rolex do that a Timex doesn’t? It’s materials, fit and finish, accuracy, durability, etc. the FK clearly isn’t designed for mass production or your everyday shooter.

Some cars, guns, watches, etc cost a lot more than others for people who enjoy the nicest stuff. It’s not for everyone."

Watches have always been a hobby of mine and like many a collector Rolex is a known brand. I've always liked the sport diver look since being a kid of about 9 years old. My first watch was a no brand $15 diver type bought from a five and dime store, it got wet inside the first time I took a bath with it, ruined. Now at a much older age I realize most watches I've owned take after the Rolex submariner. But to this day I always felt the need for a mechanical watch to need a complete cleaning/oiling every 3, 5 or 7 years to be impractical.

Most of my watches are analog quartz and non are mechanical. I appreciate the analog quartz because it eliminates the high wear areas of the all mechanical such as the regulator (balance wheel, fork and escapement wheel) and mainspring, the later is commonly replaced when servicing is done by a AD (authorized dealer).

Getting back to my first watch failing in the bath tub, the water resistance rating of the majority of watches on the market is, simply put, baloney. Its solely dependant on the maker. The only exception I know of is when it states "Diver's XXX m",the XXX being a numerical value and m means meters. An actual dive rated watch can be had for about $200, Seiko.

My watches are mostly Tag Heuer with a 200 meter rating, never experienced water damage issues in very warm tub, swimming pool and beach activity. I had a Heuer mechanical watch with no water issues but it had a mis-machined case that caused the back cover to mount at an angle, not flat. It also stopped running in about 3 years giving the impression a mineral based oil was used rather than the more expensive synthetic. The watch was bought new around 1972, right in the period of the quartz crises in Switzerland. The Swiss watch industry was decimated by the Asian quartz makers, namely Seiko. Marketing was changed, the Swiss watch went from being a tool to jewelry. I remember the submariner could be had for about $800 during the early eighties, Rolex was always pricey even as a tool. Today the submariner is closer to $9K!

That's some impressive marketing along with strategic supply limiting IMO.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:43 PM   #37
745SW

"Not judging your decision to send that level, but I would be absolutely leery of a brand new design which requires a new bullet.

Say it doesn't work out. That gun is worth less than nothing. "

That's the same logic I used about the Walther P99 (original version). I'm familiar with Walther from the 80s because I have a couple of P5's. My thinking was the P5 was reasonably successful at over 50K pieces sold but the following P88 was not at perhaps 10K or less. I really liked the look of the P99 and it was loaded with features and felt good in the hand but warning bells went off in my mind. I believe like the previous P88 this was a much different design than Walther's previous models and that they did not or would not dedicate the resources necessary to make a good product. The P99 suffered IMO a design issue that caused breakage of the fire control group. Part availability can be an issue.

I'm still content with my Glock. Like most plastic arms the looks is not handsome or cute but its good enough for plastic.
Old June 19, 2018, 06:21 PM   #38
Ledslnger

I am not a big pistol guy, although I am getting into them a bit more and more. I was in a chat group and one guy that sounded fairly knowledgeable said that some 10mm loads were similar to the FK Brno in power. He didn't talk about range though if my memory serves. Sometimes it doesn't though....so maybe there is a difference in effective range. I haven't put forth the effort to pull up and compare the info though. But, if they are similar no way I am going to spend $6K more for a pistol and even more over the lifetime on ammo.
That being said I do love CZ pistols. I also think aesthetically it is beautiful.

Last edited by Ledslnger; June 19, 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added
Old June 19, 2018, 07:43 PM   #39
blchandl2

Gorgeous gun! I appreciate the gun for its design and craftsmanship. I cannot afford one, but that is my problem. As the song goes, "If it makes you happy.........."