The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 28, 2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Pops1085

Foaming Bore Cleaners... Holy Smokes!

So I went out and shot with some very experienced precision shooters the other day and noticed a can of foaming bore cleaner and asked them about it. They couldn't speak more highly of it if they tried. So I figured what the heck, these guys must know what they're talking about so I just went and picked up a can. Mine was from gunslick, but apparently a lot of them are so similar you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I just can't believe how well it worked. I pulled out so much powder and copper residue! Honestly it was a little bit easier too, fill up the bore, wait 10 min, push it out with clean patches until they're clean. I tried it twice but didn't get anything on the second pass so color me impressed.

Anyways, just wanted to know if you guys have ever tried it. I wouldn't go letting it touch wood, I'd bet that it would ruin it but you never know.
Old May 28, 2018, 05:23 PM   #2
ice monkey

I’ll add it to my basket on my next run. Thanks for the heads up.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:03 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I've been impressed with most of the foaming bore cleaners I've tried. One thing I really like about them is the mild odor.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:53 AM   #4
mag1911

Gunslik is what I use and it's amazing what it takes out.

I usually let it sit 20 minutes and flip the rifle over from the right side to the left side about every 5 minutes to let the stuff coat the bore all over. It starts out looking like shaving cream but turns to a thick liquid after a few minutes.

I stick a couple 12ga cleaning patches in the chamber to prevent the stuff running out into the action. I also put newspaper under the muzzle to catch what runs out that end.
Old May 29, 2018, 12:43 PM   #5
cw308

Most of the time we don't give the solvents the time to do the work , just put some on a patch an go to work , patch after patch . I use KG - 1 for carbon an KG - 12 for copper followed by Hoppes #9 . I like Ballistol for my handguns but for my rifle oif I use Ballistol without washing it out with #9 it takes 5 shots to settle down.

This year I'm going to try just Ballistol followed by #9 . At the end of last year's benchrest season I cleaned my normal way with the KG & #9 , ran a patch of Ballistol an more fouling I could see on the patch. Some of my shooting buddies use the foam , for some reason with the foam you follow the instructions an let the solvent do the work . Give them all the time to do the work , some work alittle better then others but for the most part they all work pretty good .
Old May 29, 2018, 02:24 PM   #6
5whiskey

Outers FBC is great stuff, and a can goes a LONG way. Foaming bore cleaners, if used to the label (give them time to work) are great.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 29, 2018, 03:04 PM   #7
DaleA

Good 'Ol Hoppes #9 has always been good 'nough for me and mine!

But wait...Hoppes makes a foaming bore cleaner!!!???

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12...g-bore-cleaner

Now I guess I'm just...conflicted!

I'll probably have to take a couple prunes and maybe try something (gasp!) new.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:15 PM   #8
cw308

DaleA
Made me laugh , it is funny that when we like the way a cleaner works , when something new comes along we'll give it a try an add to the cans an bottles on the shelf . I should throw most of them out only to make room for others . Better leave them in place .
Old May 30, 2018, 05:21 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
I just can't believe how well it worked.
That was my reaction, too. First time was maybe 15 years ago, first time I ever saw it I wanted to try it. I figured the smell's gotta be better than Marksmans Choice or Sweets! I was definitely impressed, the copper was almost all gone looking in the bore with a bore scope. I consider foaming bore cleaner a definite plus for cleaning.
Old May 31, 2018, 05:22 PM   #10
PoiDog

I'm a recent convert as well. It works well, and cuts down on the scrubbing you have to do removing copper.
Old June 1, 2018, 03:14 PM   #11
cw308

I would normally give it a try but at the end of my barrrel is a muzzle break , wouldn't want it to settle in there . The cleaners I use work well anyway .