The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 15, 2018, 11:44 PM   #1
markr6754

Bought My “Baby Rock” 1911-380

Ever since the article “The Right 380” came out I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy one. I’m finally over with pretending it was for my wife. She will never be an avid shooter, and she only goes to the range to watch me. I checked out a few Browning 1911-380s in the case at Cabela’s and my local Point Blank, and I’ll admit that I was tempted, but just couldn’t bring myself to buy a piece with a plastic front sight, especially after seeing multiple broken ones on YouTube.

However, after dozens of Browning videos I discovered the RIA Baby Rock 1911-380, and suddenly, I had to get one. Sadly, I couldn’t find any in stock (online searches only), and by the time I finished acquiring one from GunBroker.com I’d be up to full MSRP or beyond, considering the FFL transfer fee.

After checking the Armscor website I discovered another local shop, The Miami Atmory, was a RIA dealer. Checking inventory I came up empty again, but I sent an email asking for a contact when they had one in stock. To my surprise, they responded within 10 minutes, advising they had one in the case and offered to hold it for me. We’ll hold, schmold...I had a great excuse to leave the office early.

Armed with my newly delivered Veteran ID card, I went in, told the clerk why I was there, asked if they had a Military Veteran discount (they do), and proceeded to purchase my early birthday present. I also picked up some new Fiocchi ammo so I can get out and test it right away. I sure hope it shoots as sweet as it looks.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Pictures!
Old May 16, 2018, 05:32 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Nice pistol. Congratulations. I may yet sell my Browning 1911-380 in favor of a Baby Rock.

That said, although I like the Baby Rock, it is not a 1911. It is not even a scaled down 1911. It's a clone of a Llama MicroMax 380.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:06 AM   #4
markr6754

You’ve been saying that since 2015, but I don’t see the resemblance at all. My Baby Rock doesn’t look anything like a Llama Micromax 380. It sure looks like a scaled down 1911 to me.
Once I figure how to post pics I’ll get some uploaded.
Old May 16, 2018, 02:07 PM   #5
markr6754

Here's a few Pictures. I'll add one showing the barrel end as well as a comparison to my Beretta 92FS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRock2.jpg (242.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRock3.jpg (230.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRock5.jpg (214.2 KB, 161 views)
Old May 16, 2018, 02:08 PM   #6
markr6754

Case, Barrel end, Comparison photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRock4.jpg (215.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRock6.jpg (236.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg BabyRock1.jpg (183.3 KB, 105 views)
Old May 16, 2018, 02:38 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6754
You’ve been saying that since 2015, but I don’t see the resemblance at all. My Baby Rock doesn’t look anything like a Llama Micromax 380.
Seriously?

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.p...ock-380-Review

Old May 16, 2018, 02:59 PM   #8
GarandTd

Congrats on the new acquisition. Fwiw, I think the RIA and that llama look very similar and both of them look like a scaled down 1911.
Old May 16, 2018, 06:40 PM   #9
blchandl2

CONGRATS! I am very jealous, been looking for one myself. Don't want to order online, I want to pay cash. Hoping to find one at a local gun show.

Enjoy!
Old May 18, 2018, 03:08 PM   #10
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
My apologies...I caught a few shots online and the shaped grips threw me off. Your teardown is the clincher. Appreciate the extra effort.

But here's my question....the largest 1911 manufacturer on the planet calls this a reduced size 1911, as does Browning of their 1911-380. But you say no...please explain. It sure looks like a 1911 to me, which is exactly the reason I wanted it. (the Browning 1911-380, but the Baby Rock is the better build IMHO).
Old May 18, 2018, 03:44 PM   #11
ttarp

Looking forward to White Eagles response, but the fixed barrel is one difference, and is it me, or is the grip angle off a bit? It would help to see it next to a fullsize.

Oh and thanks for posting about this, I have a bit of a fascination for scaled down versions of pistols like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 05:23 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr6754
But here's my question....the largest 1911 manufacturer on the planet calls this a reduced size 1911, as does Browning of their 1911-380. But you say no...please explain. It sure looks like a 1911 to me, which is exactly the reason I wanted it. (the Browning 1911-380, but the Baby Rock is the better build IMHO).
Quote:
Looking forward to White Eagles response, but the fixed barrel is one difference, and is it me, or is the grip angle off a bit? It would help to see it next to a fullsize.
I don't consider the Browning 1911-380 to be a 1911, either -- and I say that as someone who bought one. It's a nice little pistol. I bought the 'Commander" size model, and it's pretty close in size and proportion to the old Colt Government 380. But I don't consider either the Browning, or the Llama/Armscor 380s to be real 1911s -- irrespective of what the manufacturer chooses to call it. I think it's a question of how much of a purist you want to be. I'm a fairly died-in-the-wool purist.

A few posts above, I linked to the review of the Baby Rock in the M1911.ORG magazine. In fact, that's where I stole the photos (and, before the mods ban me for that, I know the owner of M1911.ORG and I have permission to use the photos). My reasons are very much in line with those expressed in the review, so I'l quote from it:

Quote:
The two external, visual clues that the Baby Rock may not be a 1911 are the angle of the grip portion of the receiver relative to the slide, and the slight outward curve at the bottom of the front strap. Once the pistol has been field stripped, the bigger clue reveals itself: the barrel doesn’t have a swinging link, nor does the barrel lock to the slide during firing. The barrel is fixed in place by the slide stop pin, and the pistol functions as a straight blow-back action.
What the reviewer left out, of course, is that the Armscor Baby Rock (like the Llama III-A and MicroMax) uses an external extractor. The M1911 uses an internal extractor.

"But wait," you say, "Kimber and Smith & Wesson use external extractors in their 1911s." Well, yes, they use external extractors in pistols they call 1911s. Again, how much of a purist are you? I don't accept external extractors as being true 1911s. That said, if that's the only difference, maybe it's not a complete deal breaker. What IS a deal-breaker (IMNSHO) is that the Baby Rock (like the Llamas from which it was cloned) doesn't have the same grip angle as the 1911. Since many people consider the grip angle of the 1911 to be the pinnacle of ergonomic perfection, a pistol that doesn't have the same grip angle can hardly be considered a 1911. At least the little Browning 1911-380 has the correct grip angle.

Also, the Browning 1911-380 does operate as a locked breech action. It doesn't have three locking lugs like the full-size 1911, and it uses a Hi-Power-like cam slot to lower the barrel in recoil rather than a link, but it's not a blowback pistol.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; May 18, 2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 19, 2018, 05:09 PM   #13
blchandl2

Well, today was my lucky day. I drove to my nearest Cabela's with the intent to purchase a Browning Black Label .380 since Baby Rocks are hard to find. I walked up to the counter, found the .380 section, and what did I see? A RIA Baby Rock! I examined the one in the case and said "write it up". They had one in the stock room but the finish on it was not very even in appearance so I took the one from the case. Needless to say I walked out a very happy camper with a lot more $$ in my pocket than I expected.

Can't wait to take it to the range.
Old May 19, 2018, 09:37 PM   #14
tallball

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your range report. I have a Colt Government Model. Medium-sized steel 380s with a locking breech have extremely mild recoil. They are very easy to shoot. You will probably enjoy it very much.
Old May 20, 2018, 07:55 AM   #15
bedbugbilly

I'm drooling on my keyboard . . .

Congtats - that's a nice looking 380! I've looked at the Browning but something made me hesitate . . . I like the looks of the Baby Rock - should be a really fun gun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 20, 2018, 08:21 AM   #16
PushPuller

Iv been trying to convince myself to to get a Browning Black Label for 6 months now, Just cant seem to bring myself to pay $500 for something ill rarely shoot when I can go buy a Glock or CZ for the same cost.

Never heard of a Baby Rock, might have to do some studying!
Old May 20, 2018, 09:53 PM   #17
markr6754

I took Baby Rock to my indoor range this week. I had factory Fiocchi and Aguila 380 FMJ. What a treat! Very nice feel. Interesting thing...I have small hands, and felt this was a bit small. I need to find a new holding style to ensure the best accuracy. Being just a hair over 1” wide I find my trigger finger passes through the guard. I don’t like using the knuckle crease to pull the trigger, and had to consciously pull my finger back out so I could shoot using the pad of my finger tip. I had better control, and more consistent results.
I put about 150 rounds through without any feed issues, or eject issues. Since I plan to run my own loads, I need to put another 50 to 100 factory rounds through to continue my break-in period. I’m not a true believer of a new firearm break-in period...but I’d prefer to ensure everything is running fine and tight before I violate the warranty shooting hand loaded ammo.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:53 PM   #18
blchandl2

I took mine to the range today. I put 50 rds of my hand loads through it without a hiccup. I load them light since I am only shooting paper.As I said, no issues and very pleasant to shoot. Almost makes me want to get another one. I cannot imagine spending $200 more on the Browning would have a corresponding improvement in my shooting experience.
Old June 14, 2018, 07:42 PM   #19
bedbugbilly

Just wanted to come back and make another post on this thread.

The only 380 I have had was Bersa a number of years ago and I got rid of it - good gun but . . it was used and the previous owner had "tuned it" to the point it was dangerous - long story.

I reload and decided to get a 380 for just a fun plinking gun. I had a M & P Shield 380 EZ on hold until another gun I had ordered came in. Today, I went down to pick them up. I'm very happy with the Shield EZ but now have the ".380 itch".

While there, I asked if they had a Baby Rock I could look at and they had one in stock. I looked it over and I was very impressed with it. Fit and finish were excellent, it felt good i the hand, I loved the size of it. The fellow I deal with said they had ordered on in for a customer and the store owner liked it so well, he ordered another one for him and one for stock. So far, they have had no reports of issues with them (that they have sold) and they guys love them. I would have purchased it had they not had a Beretta 84 in their showcase that was in pristine condition with the original box, manual, etc. Not a scratch, nick or blemish on it and obviously it was probably someone's "sock drawer gun" as it appears unfired. I have wanted a Beretta 84 for a long time so it came home with me as I didn't want to pass it up at the price they had on it.

That said . . . one of the Baby Rocks has now moved to the top of my "list". I'm disposing of a number of my guns based on how my needs / wants have changed - somewhat consolidating the calibers I reload and I no longer shoot rifle as often. While I normally carry a 38 or a 9m Shield, I can easily see the Baby Rock as an alternative - a nice size, weight and did I mention how good it felt in the hand? :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63