The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 17, 2014, 06:39 PM   #26
Microgunner

No, they're just for mall ninjas and video game commandos.
Old November 17, 2014, 06:44 PM   #27
creepyNinja

Quote:
In other words posers.
...or for folks who want to make their gun shoot better
Old November 17, 2014, 06:47 PM   #28
Hawg

Not going to happen. You'd be better off spending the money on practice.
Old November 20, 2014, 04:47 PM   #29
Theohazard

A longer barrel doesn't necessarily give you better accuracy. But fake silencers aren't barrel extentions, anyway.

I have two real silencers, and they add an annoying amount of length and weight to my guns. If they didn't actually reduce the sound of the gun, then there's no way I'd ever use them.

To me, a fake suppressor is completely pointless; it makes the gun heavier, longer, and more unwieldy. It might reduce felt recoil a little bit, but not as much as a real silencer.

The only reason for a fake silencer is to look cool, but that's kinda ruined once you start shooting and your gun is just as loud as everyone else's.
Old November 20, 2014, 06:25 PM   #30
Sharkbite

Like Theo, i have a number of real Suppressors. I also have 1 fake one but it serves a real purpose. My m&p 15/22 has the barrel cut much shorter then the handguards. When i run my real can on the rifle the can just barely sticks out the end of the handguards.

So if im shooting that gun without the can on I need something to take up the space the can would. Otherwise my hand is forward of the muzzle and the blast is unkind

So, there is a use for fake cans but not for the usual rifle. IMHO
Old November 20, 2014, 08:33 PM   #31
Theohazard

Sharkbite: You're the only person I've ever talked to who has found a practical use for a fake suppressor. Nice!
Old November 28, 2014, 06:44 PM   #32
creepyNinja

Quote:
The only reason for a fake silencer is to look cool, but that's kinda ruined once you start shooting and your gun is just as loud as everyone else's.
how about a fake silencer on a 22lr shooting sub-sonic ammo? it will look AND sound like you've got a real silencer on.
Old November 28, 2014, 08:49 PM   #33
Theohazard

No it won't. A .22 with subsonic ammo still sounds like a gun, just not a very powerful one. And it will be a lot louder than if you used a silencer on it.
Old November 28, 2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Hawg

A .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo wont sound like a gun being fired at all. All you will hear is the bolt working. The bullet strike will be much louder.
Old November 29, 2014, 04:28 PM   #35
Sure shot wv

Sharkbite- you've just answered a question I didn't even realize I had yet. I'm in the process of building 2 AR's one in a 22lr and one in 9mm like you've described. Luckily my 9mm will pretty much always have the can on (a guardian 9 btw) but the 22 may be shot without the can since I only have 1 22 can as of now.

There's something about an SBR with just a poke of suppressor hanging out of the hand guards that screams sexy.

Now for the creepy ninja if you bought a firearm you could afford a can. My first can was a huntertown arms guardian 22. I paid 175 bucks for it. Add the 200 dollar tax stamp and that's still less than what half of the mall ninjas paid for their m and p 15/22's.
Old November 30, 2014, 01:27 AM   #36
Lark

Quote:
how about a fake silencer on a 22lr shooting sub-sonic ammo? it will look AND sound like you've got a real silencer on.
Evidence that this person has never heard a suppressed 22lr rifle with subsonic ammo being fired.
Old November 30, 2014, 01:58 AM   #37
Snyper

Quote:
.or for folks who want to make their gun shoot better
Explain how a fake supressor does that
Old November 30, 2014, 06:49 AM   #38
Don P

Quote:
...or for folks who aren't legally allowed to own a real one
Me thinks that if you can legally own a firearm that you can own a suppressor.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 30, 2014, 07:17 AM   #39
creepyNinja

Quote:
Evidence that this person has never heard a suppressed 22lr rifle with subsonic ammo being fired
evidence that you never heard of a thing called aguila colibri
that'll be your homework for today, study it

Quote:
Explain how a fake supressor does that
dude, haven't you been paying attention to the thread?? wake up, lol
sorry i'm not gonna repeat myself, just go back a few posts and you'll see my explanation

Quote:
so you think suppressors are legal for a person to own in all 50 states? lol

who are you people.....

Last edited by creepyNinja; November 30, 2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:05 AM   #40
Sure shot wv

Ninja- that aguila colibri is quiet ammo however what velocity is it running? Does it cycle the action in a semi auto? You might as well shoot a BB gun if you wanna shoot that stuff.

That ammo is nothing like shooting with a suppressor and having the firearm function like normal and still have enough velocity to do something with.

I would like to hear something of real fact or value from you. I'm getting the feeling you're trying to play in the majors while you yourself is still learning to play t-ball.
Old November 30, 2014, 12:34 PM   #41
Don P

From the ATF's web site,
Q: The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and 27 CFR, Part 479. What are some examples?

Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:
Machine guns;
The frames or receivers of machine guns;
Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;
Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;
Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;
Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;
Short-barreled rifles;
Short-barreled shotguns;
Destructive devices; and,
“Any other weapon.”

Q: What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?

ATF Form 4 (5320.4) must be completed, in duplicate. The transferor first completes the face of the form. The transferee completes the transferee’s certification on the reverse of the form and must have the “Law Enforcement Certification” completed by the chief law enforcement officer.

The transferee is to place, on each copy of the form, a 2-inch by 2-inch photograph of the transferee taken within the past year (proofs, group photographs or photocopies are unacceptable). The transferee’s address must be a street address, not a post office box. If there is no street address, specific directions to the residence must be included.

If State or local law requires a permit or license to purchase, possess, or receive NFA firearms, a copy of the transferee’s permit or license must accompany the application. A check or money order for $200 ($5 for transfer of “any other weapon”) shall be made payable to ATF by the transferor. All signatures on both copies must be in ink.

Fingerprints also must be submitted on FBI Form FD-258, in duplicate. Fingerprints must be taken by a person qualified to do so, and must be clear and classifiable. If wear or damage to the fingertips do not allow clear prints, and if the prints are taken by a law enforcement official, a statement on his or her official letterhead giving the reason why good prints are unobtainable should accompany the fingerprints.

Forward the completed application and appropriate tax payment to the Bureau of ATF, National Firearms Act Branch, P.O. Box 530298, Atlanta, GA 30353-0298.

Transfer of the NFA firearm may be made only upon approval of the ATF Form 4 by the NFA Branch. If the application is approved, the original of the form with the cancelled stamp affixed showing approval will be returned to the applicant. If the tax application is denied, the tax will be refunded.

Upon approval of the ATF Form 4, the transferor should transfer the firearm as soon as possible, since the firearm is now registered to the transferee.

[26 U.S.C. 5812, 27 CFR 479.84-86]
The ATF's web site is loaded with all sorts of info and can be as we say straight from the horses mouth
www.atf.gov

Some added info,Q: Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers NFA firearms?

The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball and airgun silencers tested by ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers. Because silencers are NFA weapons, an individual wishing to manufacture or transfer such a silencer must receive prior approval from ATF and pay the required tax. See also “What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?” and “How does an individual obtain authorization to make an NFA firearm?” for application details.

If you have any further questions as to the classification of a paintball or airgun silencer, please send a written request to ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a), 27 CFR 479.11]

Quote:
so you think suppressors are legal for a person to own in all 50 states? lol
I guess you missed the part about ownership. The ATF regulates the silencer as stated above. If you are interested in ownership I suggest you check the state laws where you live.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; November 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 12:47 PM   #42
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP
Not in 11 states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyNinja
evidence that you never heard of a thing called aguila colibri
that'll be your homework for today, study it
You didn't say "Aguila Colibri", you said "subsonic ammo". Almost all .22 ammo that's subsonic is still loud and sounds like a gun. Aguila Colibri isn't typical subsonic ammo, it's super-low-velocity ammo that doesn't have anywhere near enough energy to cycle the action. But all that aside, a suppressed .22 rifle with regular subsonic ammo is quieter than even an unsuppressed rifle shooting Aguila Colibri ammo.
Old November 30, 2014, 02:55 PM   #43
gedenke

Quote:
A .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo wont sound like a gun being fired at all. All you will hear is the bolt working. The bullet strike will be much louder.
Hawg, I ask you this in all honesty here...not trying to talk smack. But do you have any personal experience around suppressed .22s?

Because in the dozen or so times I've been around them, it was indeed much quieter, but not without a bang. I don't know what ammo they were using (subsonic/supersonic), all I observed was that the gun was quieter, but not "silent". Only sound is the bolt cycling and a pfft? That's only in the movies, I think. Even the suppressor manufacturers say that their offering will "reduce" decibels.

From "supressor company x's" website:

Quote:
Q:"WHY ARE SILENCERS NOT REALLY SILENT? THEY DON’T ACTUALLY PERFORM AS THEY DO IN THE MOVIES.
A:In the real world, a firearm with a silencer does make noise, so it is not “silent.” However, the silencer will greatly reduce the muzzle report of a gunshot"..."
Sorry, off topic...you guys can go back to debating those useless...I mean...fake...suppressors. It's kinda like taping a "Hemi" logo on your Prius. That being said, I did put that Marauder kit on my 10/22, merely to make it look cool. I since decided that it was dumb and degraded the gun's use, and removed it. Anyone interested in buying a used marauder kit?

And to some of you here...you know who you are: Believe it or not, but a few the of guys on here actually do know what they're talking about. I hate to say it, but your comments really do make you appear uneducated.
Old November 30, 2014, 08:31 PM   #44
Snyper

Quote:
dude, haven't you been paying attention to the thread?? wake up, lol
sorry i'm not gonna repeat myself, just go back a few posts and you'll see my explanation
I read the incorrect assertion that it "makes the barrel longer".

I will just have to assume you really have no clue about supressors, real or fake
Old November 30, 2014, 08:47 PM   #45
Hawg

gedenke, I answered you in a PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:55 PM   #46
Bpcurious

You guys are being trolled

Don't feed the troll!
Old December 1, 2014, 09:10 AM   #47
creepyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
I guess you missed the part about ownership. The ATF regulates the silencer as stated above. If you are interested in ownership I suggest you check the state laws where you live.
noooo man...i'm not interested in owning a real suppressor, you don't get it, this thread is about fake suppressors.
you have a lot of titles to your name and i respect that but the fact is, real suppressor is not legal to own in all states. sure it will be a blast (no pun intended) to shoot with a real suppressor but i just don't want the hassles of ownership and with the type of shooting i do, i'll never need one. i want my gun to look like it has a real suppressor on, and a fake one does that really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedenke
I hate to say it, but your comments really do make you appear uneducated.
they only appear uneducated to the uneducated, i guess.
but even you yourself own a fake suppressor. that's self contradicting isn't it? you removed it from you gun because, like anything else, you probably got bored from playing with it a bunch of times that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
I read the incorrect assertion that it "makes the barrel longer".
I will just have to assume you really have no clue about supressors, real or fake
well, you know what they say about assumptions...
but i was referring to the post about "reducing muzzle flip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg
gedenke, I answered you in a PM.
got something to hide? sounds pretty shady to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpcurious
You guys are being trolled Don't feed the troll!
how is expressing my opinions about a subject trolling
this is more like a debate if anything. what is your definition of trolling anyway?
Old December 1, 2014, 06:41 PM   #48
Snyper

Quote:
well, you know what they say about assumptions...
but i was referring to the post about "reducing muzzle flip"
How much "muzzle flip" do you have on a sub sonic 22?

I still think you really have no idea what you're talking about, and your explanations don't make it any better
Old December 1, 2014, 11:46 PM   #49
gedenke

He doesn't.
Old December 1, 2014, 11:47 PM   #50
gedenke

And on that note. I smile and nod and step out with what's left of my intelligence...or dignity, or whatever. In other words, I've wasted enough time on this thread.