The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 18, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1
bigfatguy

Arizona Questions: Hunting and Shooting on own property?

The wife and I are thinking about planning for a retirement in Arizona.

Two things we'd like to be able to do: Hunt on our own property, and have a shooting range on our own land.

The only relevant regulations I can find are that some areas are closed to hunting, and you need permission from the homeowner to fire a weapon within a quarter mile of their house.

Maybe a lifetime living in CA and NYC have made me paranoid, but it can't be that simple...

what am I missing? References and reading assignments are welcome...

Many thanks!
Old July 19, 2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Keep in mind that a huge proportion of homes for sale in Arizona are in homeowners' associations, which probably have their own rules against ... pretty much everything I like to do. However, if you're looking at properties large enough to hunt on, you are probably looking out in the boonies where nobody will bother you.

Your problems in that case will be electricity, and water. Some years ago, my cousin lived in Apache Junction, a built up area just barely over the line from Mesa. His neighborhood didn't have any water -- he had a large (275-gallon? 500 gallon?) water tank on a trailer, and once a week he towed the trailer somewhere to fill it up.

Are you looking at buying a house, or buying a large parcel and building your house?
Old July 19, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
kilimanjaro

Don't get hung up on a shooting range on your own land. Arizona is blessed, or cursed, as some would say, with a large percentage of public land. You should be able to find a place to shoot within a short drive of your property, as long as you're not in Phoenix where it takes an hour to get out of town.

Water is the key. And do use arid zone landscaping, no lawns.
Old July 19, 2014, 10:23 AM   #4
TXAZ

We recently left AZ, it's an excellent place to retire. If you get property outside one if the little towns you shouldn't have a problem. People are friendly and helpful, and the 'gun guy' percentage outside Tucson, Phoenix and Flag is very high. Enjoy.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 19, 2014, 11:38 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Don't get hung up on a shooting range on your own land. Arizona is blessed, or cursed, as some would say, with a large percentage of public land. You should be able to find a place to shoot within a short drive of your property, as long as you're not in Phoenix where it takes an hour to get out of town.
Yes, but.....
He needs to also keep in mind (and be aware) that most of the public land is closed to shooting during the dry season (up to 8 months of the year, depending on the location and yearly weather conditions).

If you can buy your own place, do it. Otherwise, you'll need to be close to a range to be able to shoot outside of monsoon season.
Old July 19, 2014, 02:35 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

True enough, although for the record, folks can burn up their own place just as easily as they can burn up a public acre, the conditions are the same.
Old July 19, 2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Tombstonejim

I live in Gleeson Az. I have 80 ac my BIL has an adjoining 300 or so. We can hunt our own land all we want but there is still a lottery system so you just can't go and shoot deer or javelin ect anywhere or any time you want. You have to have a permit/tag for your area just like anyone else would.

My neighbor to the east has his own shooting range and uses it all the time. I have a make shift skeet range and use it a few times year. No one gives a dinky do.
Old July 21, 2014, 11:24 PM   #8
bigfatguy

Thanks, all.

We are definitely a no-HOA family, and yes, we are planning, eventually, to buy a fairly decent sized block of land. Still waiting on that lotto ticket to come through. :-)

I will keep in mind the fire hazard, fortunately if it's my own land I can maintain the range area to help prevent such issues.
Old July 22, 2014, 12:39 AM   #9
armoredman

The restrictions you mentioned are, pretty much it. Buy a parcel big enough that you won't irritate your neighbors, or build great sound baffle walls, and make sure that 1/4 mile is all the way around. Noise and nuisance complaints can make a retirement awkward. We do have ranges all over the state, too, and lots of public land for hunting or shooting - I don't recommend wildcat ranges myself, but that's just me.
BTW, check with a real attorney before you do take that step, as I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV - I'm just an AZ native.
Old July 22, 2014, 06:01 AM   #10
trapper9260

I know it been years since I was in AZ but for what it was in 1990 and then in 1995 .I change my mind about liven there and also for what is stated about water is the biggest thing out there.Also the price of some places away from just about every thing went up some from 1990 to 1995. I change my mind to live there and left.Also for what some of the things going on there also make me want to not live there.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:03 AM   #11
oldbadger

Ranchlland

These people might be able to help you.

http://www.landandfarm.com/search/Ar...land-for-sale/

I don't have anything to do with them at all. I do spend winters in AZ and have a modicum of insight. If you want to be by yourself, you can do so if you buy enough property. Doing this will almost guarantee that you will be "off the grid" requiring a generator or perhaps solar power, ( which in AZ is truly viable) and drilling a really deep well which is also viable depending upon your location.

The ground is pretty rocky and to build a proper berm you will need a sturdy bull dozer and blade.

At all costs do NOT buy into a Home owners association.
Old July 25, 2014, 03:48 PM   #12
DPI7800

Quote:
Yes, but.....
most of the public land is closed to shooting during the dry season (up to 8 months of the year
This is true, darn near every year the national forest are closed to shooting. Typically from May on the early side to mid-August at the latest, you know 8 months.