The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 28, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
boondocker385

Mossberg 500-Sights

Greetings:

I have a Mossberg 500 with nothing but a front bead on an 18.5" barrel (same thing on the longer barrel that came with it). I am looking to mount a rear sight (peep or ???).

It appears, based upon the various parts stores, that a rail is required with the rear sight mounted to it.

Does anyone know of any other options? It would seem that would make the sights kind of tall and may result in a need for a new front sight and modifications/new stock.

Help......I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money reinventing the wheel!
Old October 28, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Roughedge

You can put a ghost ring on it but you will have to change the front sight too since adding the rear sight will change POA on the front too.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
g.willikers

There are sights that attach to a vent rib, if your barrels have them.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, in the late-60's & early-70's, I converted around two dozen plain-barrel pumpguns into deer/slug guns for guys I knew.

What worked quickest/cheapest was to epoxy a Williams Shorty ramp (with sight) atop the top of the muzzle using the old bead as an anchor point; and a Williams 5D-12/37 receiver sight to the rear LH side of the receiver.

Old October 28, 2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Doyle

When I thought I was going to be moving to SC (and thus needing a buckshot gun for a special buckshot-only hunt they have there), I started looking for a particular barrel. I wanted an 18-20" smooth bore slug-type barrel with rifle sights AND was threaded for a choke tube. What I discovered was that apparently such an animal doesn't exist.

I thought it would be the perfect combination barrel. With a super tight choke, it would be a great turkey barrel. That rifle sight would help you put the pattern where you wanted it. With a moderate choke, it would be a good buckshot gun. And, with an open choke it would be a slug gun.

I found that my only option would be to buy a Mossberg 500 slugster smoothbore barrel and pay to get it threaded.