The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Beagle333

loaded wadcutters

We've had lots of pics of our wadcutters and molds. Let's see how some of em look loaded. Here is the Turtle Buster (using two different pins) that I'm loading today. The 147gr and the 161gr. Fortunately for the turtles, it's 51 degrees with a 20mph wind, so they are safely buried in the mud today.
But I'll be ready for the 70 degree weather this weekend. I got about 500 of these lubed/sized and ready for loading.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 25, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
LAH

Fine lookin' loads.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Boomer58cal

You hunt... turtles? I guess they come with their own soup bowl
Old March 26, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Beagle333

The reason I'm gonna use em against turtles is because they eat my stocked fish in my little pond. So I have to thin down the snapper population so that I get some of the fish for me and the wife. And they aren't just wasted as targets. My neighbor loves em (as stew), and he and his sister always get in a playful fight over who's getting the next one.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Boomer58cal

Oh I wasn't knocking your reason. Mostly just curious. The coons around here come in packs, and kill or eat anything well... killable or eatable so I get it. Just never seen anyone hunt turtles with a gun. I have a fish pond myself so I hunt coon for the same reason. I've even collected a few cooking tips. Haven't used them yet though. I will have enough hides to make a nice coat though soon Happy hunting.

Boomer
Old March 28, 2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thought I better start posting here...

or at least pay attention a little as I plan to fire up the pot for the 1st time this spring... ( I inherited all my FIL's stuff ) so I should have everything I need but the experience...

I'm finishing up my own fish pond... any idea how long on a new man made pond, it takes before the turtles will find it ???

BTW... I already have the "pack o coon" issues... but my outside doggie is getting really good at treeing them, & keeping them treed... woke up one morning last summer to outside doggie's barks, & found 5 of them in tres in the front yard, 3 in the same tree... over the last couple years, since swe got the new outside dog, I think both MRS. & I could have had coats ( I haven't been saving the hides, been feeding the fox family out on the drainage ditch...

back to molds & bullets, my buddy ( retired tool & die guy ) is just finishing up 2 6 cavity molds, one in 22 caliber, & one in .257 caliber, I've picked up molds over the years for just about everything I could ( I think I have 50 or so ) & haven't fired a pot once... several are semi wadcutter hollow points ( do those count ) got a couple 45 & 50 rifle molds that have several pins, will have to get a couple pics

sorry to side track your post...
Old March 28, 2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Beagle333

Quote:
I'm finishing up my own fish pond... any idea how long on a new man made pond, it takes before the turtles will find it ???
That all depends on how warm it is where you are, proximity to where they already live (if you are adjacent to swamps or other ponds) and how much they have to eat where they currently are.
And.... some turtles are more beneficial than others. Red-eared and yellow bellied pond sliders actually eat the green stuff and help keep the vegetation down and the muck from building up on the bottom, while softshells, and snappers (which are important aquatic scavengers, but they are also active hunters that prey on anything they can swallow) have gotta go! Maybe I should rename my wadcutter the "Snapper Buster"? Nah, I kinda like the ring of "Turtle Buster."
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
BTW... I already have the "pack o coon" issues...
I understand about the coons. I turned on the outside light a couple 'nights ago, and there were 5 sticking to the side of the big oak by the back door, just staring back at me, looking like some weird raccoon totem pole. They had been doing chin-ups on my bird feeder, stealing my birdseed.
I don't have any outdoor animals for them to bother, so I just shooed them away. (this time)
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
.I've picked up molds over the years for just about everything I could ( I think I have 50 or so )
Now that is pretty impressive. 50 molds and you don't cast yet. Just imagine the size your collection will be, once the fever sets in!
Quote:
several are semi wadcutter hollow points ( do those count )
Yes those count! Especially pictures of those! I'm a fan of the hollow point, even though I shoot only paper, cans and turtles. And while I like any bullet or ball, I tend to lean toward the look of the HP.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 28, 2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I'll shoot a pic or two of some 45 Colt hollow point loaded rounds my buddy cast for me... almost no meplat, & all cavern... ( they almost look hungry, the mouths are so big )

I think I have a couple others I could include while I'm taking bullet pictures...

maybe tonight & post tomorrow...

sorry again to sidetrack, but was going through my molds the other day, & found a "gang mold" that looks like it does 2 sizes of shot... smalls are 17-20 caliber ( ish ) big ones are maybe 38 if I remember right...

do you think these are shot molds, or some kind of wrap sinker mold ??? as they have tubes going to all the ball spots, ( it's about the size of a 6 cavity mold, & has two pour holes... if that helps ) if they were hard cast, I'm sure those "capillaries" would break, but if cast with pure lead, they might be flexible enough that it was intended to be a sinker mold???

almost looks like a "buck & ball mold" that would cast about one shell per casting ???
Old March 28, 2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Beagle333

I can't help you with that. I can make about a dozen or so different bullets for for my .38/357 needs and I have a few single cav round ball molds for my black powder shooting. But I'm sure somebody can recognize the mold you described.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 30, 2013, 06:52 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Some loaded SemiWadCutters. The brass was left a little dirty to make the bullets look even more shiney. I am going hunting for warewolves (Elmer Fudd voive with a "shh be bewwy bewwy twiet. I am hunting wawewolbes you know.)

Old April 3, 2013, 07:03 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

sorry it took so long...

as promised... hollow point wad cutter loaded round...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cast hollow nose.jpg (42.0 KB, 106 views)
Old April 3, 2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Beagle333

Now that is quite a big hollow in that point. I like!

And you got em nice and shiny, m&p, for certain!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Mike / Tx

Well I would LOVE to post up a pic or two of some of the ones I loaded from the "new" old mold I got. I think I might have mentioned I left my camera up at the country, well I did and the wife and I found what was left of it last weekend. After I put the batteries back in it powered up, but thats about as far as she went.

Seems while she and I were down at the shooting range I had taken a couple of pictures of her shooting my Redhawks. Then I guess I set it up on the side rail of the truck or something. Anyway a 1 ton don't do them any good to put it lightly. The last pics on the card were sure nuf her shootn the Redhawk. LOL

Heck we needed an upgrade anyway.