The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Powder choice for .308 AR Loads

What's your pleasure for powder for your .308 AR?

I use Varget in my .308 Match loads, but would like to avoid Varget for my soon to be mine Sig 716, to conserve my supply.

Reloader 15 seems to be a good choice from my research, however the speer manual does not list it as suitable for semi-auto, gas operated rifles. My experience a s a reloader tells me this is not an issue as far as I know.

Thoughts?

Thank all!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Jimro

Not suitable for gas operated rifles? I guess no one told the military, lots of M118LR loaded with Reloader 15 has been run through M14/M21/M25/EBRs over the years, as well as Mk11 and M110 AR variants.

Reloader 15 is fine, as is anything else in the IMR4895 to IMR4064 burn rate range. I'd recommend Power Pro 2000-MR, it is right there with Reloader 15 for burn rate and it has done well for me in my AR-15.

Jimro
Old March 25, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
golfnutrlv

Thanks Jimro! I was wanting to use RL15 as it is available in my area.

To clarify though, Speer does not state "not suitable". THey just do not list it as "suitable"
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Jimro

Honestly I don't know why they wouldn't list Re15, it's a favorite powder for high power shooters and Alliant even lists "selected as the powder for M118 Special Ball" on their website. Heck, last I checked Speer and Alliant were both owned by ATK, but who knows?

Jimro
Old March 26, 2013, 04:07 AM   #5
sourdough44

I'd think TAC & one of the 4895 choices would be good. Not saying Varget & RL-15 wouldn't work though. I do like RL-15 for various applications.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Boomer58cal

I just loaded 900 .308's with IMR 4895. Half SST's and half FMJ's. Works great in my Rock river arms and DPMS. The only time I've seen issues(not mine but others) was a light load of to slow of powder combined with to light of bullet. It didn't have a enough gas pressure to cycle reliably. The light bullet left the barrel so fast the slow burning powder didn't have time to build up pressure in the barrel. The loader was new and didn't do his research. I'm guessing he got his load data from some yahoo in an internet forum. Always double check load data from internet yahoos! You never know if they're a master or a moron.

Boomer