The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2013, 12:48 AM   #1
jsust

roll crimp?

so ive been looking for a 40 s&w die set and the only one i found was a "Lyman Auto 40 S&W Carbide 3 Die Set" but upon reading it says "Bullet seating die roll crimp bullets securely."
now i always thought that 40 s&w were not roll crimped. all the googling i did confirmed that. its the only die set ive seen available so is it ok? im not shooting it out of a revolver and someone said that was what it was for. im confused
Old March 19, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
howlnmad

Don't be confused. You are correct on the crimping. For general purpose just remember that wheel guns take a roll crimp and semi autos use a taper. With modern dies, the crimp you need will be machined into the seating die. For the most part you're just removing the flare on your 40 cal brass.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:21 AM   #3
jsust

alright thanks. i was just excited when i found them. i just havent been able to find a die set in stock. although there is a lee 3 die set on ebay right now for 65$ but i have a hard time paying 2x retail.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:11 AM   #4
howlnmad

$65 for a set of Lee dies?! Not in my world..........ever.

With the 40 you're looking for about .423 case diameter at the mouth. Remember, these headspace off the mouth so to much and the round will chamber to deep. Also, the bullet for the 40 doesn't have a cannelure for crimping and you can cut into the jacket and cause a possible seperation.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:59 AM   #5
Fire_Moose

Re: roll crimp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlnmad View Post
Don't be confused. You are correct on the crimping. For general purpose just remember that wheel guns take a roll crimp and semi autos use a taper. With modern dies, the crimp you need will be machined into the seating die. For the most part you're just removing the flare on your 40 cal brass.
Except if the die is adjusted too low(see: wrong) it will put a roll crimp into the bullet.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:23 AM   #6
gundog5

I just checked...go to www.gunstop.com, they have your 40s&w carbide dies in stock.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:30 PM   #7
jsust

haha think you gundog!! but in the back of my mind i feel there is an email comming my way that says outof stock. you will recive it in september :/
Old March 19, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Quote:
i feel there is an email comming my way that says outof stock. you will recive it in september :/
Best of luck - hopefully they actually do have it in stock!

I'm on the backorder list for a set of 9mm dies at Midway. I ordered them in February, and they said they expected their next shipment in early March. I guess I was too far down the list to get one of those, because they haven't sent me anything, and now the "expected" date is in early May. Hopefully I'll get one of those.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9
gundog5

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and are already using them, in addition, UPS just now delivered my lyman turret press from them. They only advertise what the current have and ready to ship.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
jsust

the funny thing is buds and midway have some instock today and those are the only two places i looked. of course i already bought the ones gundog linked me to lol
Old March 20, 2013, 01:29 PM   #11
gundog5

I'll bet you will have your dies within the week. Just ordered some 270 dies from them for may soon to pick up ruger american 270. Don't forget that rcbs will send you 100 free bullets for any $100 total purchase. Sent mine in the middle of feb and received my bullets yesterday
Old March 21, 2013, 11:46 PM   #12
primerman

I always wondered why the companies selling 9mm, S&W 40 dies made them with roll crimps. All the manuals I've read call for a taper crimp if you are going to crimp at all. I guess they want you to buy that 4th taper crimp die after all.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:29 PM   #13
gundog5

On the die box it should read tc for taper crimp. The set of RCBS 40s&w dies I received from gunstop were tc (taper crimp) my 45 colt dies are not identified as tc and provide a roll crimp as my 45 colt bullets have a chandler and the roll crimp does a great job on them.
Old March 22, 2013, 05:41 PM   #14
pnolans

Quote:

I always wondered why the companies selling 9mm, S&W 40 dies made them with roll crimps. All the manuals I've read call for a taper crimp if you are going to crimp at all. I guess they want you to buy that 4th taper crimp die after all.
Without realizing that, I bought a Hornady 3 die set for my 9mm luger ... So, now, I guess I need to get a taper crimp die for reloading 9mm. I bought it 2 or 3 years ago, and am just now getting around to reloading 9mm.

It doesn't say anything on the case to indicate that it is for roll crimp. BUT the item number indicates the one I bought is for roll crimp.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.

Last edited by pnolans; March 22, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:33 PM   #15
gundog5

jsust, received my 270 dies today, was just checking if you received yours.