The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Nathan

Powders for 62gr AR load

Personally, I've had good success with Benchmark, but now there is CFE223. . .

Have you used CFE223? If so, how is it? Clean? Accurate? Consistent?

BTW, this will be a 5.56 load with CCI #41 primers, mixed brass, 62gr steel core FMJ for an AR15.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
chris in va

That's the powder that cleans the barrel, right? I saw an article that proved those claims, can't comment about accuracy.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3
learningcurve

I havent gotten to shoot too many of my 62g over CFE223 yet but the few I have shot was very impresive. I dont have a long range I can get regular access to so my test shots were all at a max of 30 yards out so I am not sure how that would affect your judgement of my opinion I just like to plink for now when I get serious or have to qualify my department requires me to use factory ammo for everything relating to any of the longer yards I would have to shoot at.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
CrustyFN

I haven't used CFE223 but have heard good things about it. For me H-335 has been a great powder. As far as the 62 grain bullets don't expect them to be as accurate as a bulk Hornady or Montana Gold bullets. My experience has been the 62 grain pulled shoots groups at least twice the size of other bullets I have used.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:47 AM   #5
zxcvbob

I'd like to try it, but don't want to pay $28 a pound (plus tax) for it when I can get 844 (delivered) for less than half that.

Adding copper cleaning additives to powder isn't new; they've been doing that for years. I'm pretty sure W748 has it. Maybe CFE223 has more bismuth or tin or whatever than most, I don't know.

I've read that SMP842 powder, used in the new lead-free NATO 5.56 round, is noncanister-grade CFE223. (Actually it's the other way around, CFE223 is normalized SMP842) I don't know if that's true or not but it's plausible. But the only place that I know that sells 842 powder does not ship hazmat stuff yet.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:09 AM   #6
oldpapps

Powders for 62gr AR load

I have use both Varget and 748 with 62 grain SS109 bullets.
I have not used the new CFE223 powder.

My experience with the SS109 bullets were less than what I had hoped (the only 62 grain bullet I have tried). This was well due to the bullets themselves. They are pull downs and were not know for stellar accuracy to begin with.

I am not a fan of Varget out of shorter (16 inch) barrels. The best accuracy I was able to squeeze was at/around 2815fps with my components using 26.1 grains. I will save my Varget for something more useful and out of a 20 inch barrel.

My loads with 748 are marginally better and have less perceived concussion. 24 grains gave the best accuracy at 2595fps.

Luckily I didn't buy many of these SS109 pulls. I may be overly picky. I'm not a 'rat-a-tat' shoot just to make noise shooter. So, these were a waste of my time.

The bullet weight stacks up as being a promising option. I would think with better bullets this weight bracket would be useful. I have two 'target-used' weapons. One is a bolt gun with 1 in 14 twist. Well, 62 grains bullets are too long for it to stabilize. The second has a 1 in 8 twist and loves AMAX 75 grain bullets.

Disclaimer: The loads listed are for reference only and may not be safe in your weapon/s with your components. Always differ to know loading data from known sources.

I hope you find a loading that meets you needs.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old August 18, 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
salvadore

Blc2 has given me more consistant groups than CFE223.
Old August 18, 2012, 02:57 PM   #8
rebs

I can't comment other than to say for me its H335 all the way. It has worked very well with all the different bullets I have tried.
Old August 18, 2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Nathan

I should have said... In surplus ammo, this bullet shot well for me. Not positive, but I don't think these are pulled. This is for 2 rifles.

Mine is a 1:9 twist 17" with rifle gas.

My friend's is 1:7.75 Krieger 20".

Looking for ~1" @ 100yd plinking groups.