The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 20, 2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Hellbilly5000

1941 mosin nagant bolt

Does anyone have any tricks or tips for makeing the bolt of this rifle work smoother?
Old January 20, 2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Homer-Sm

A lil grease goes a long way. BUT I assume your having "sticky bolt" when firing it cold?

If it gets sticky to downright needing a hammer, after firing it your probably looking at a chamber that needs cleaning. Cosmoline gets in to all the fun parts and when it heats up it gets tough to open the bolt. IF this is your problem.... the easiest way to clean the chamber is buy a chamber/bore cleaner. I picked up one for a Garand cheap. Fire 4-5 shots to heat things up. Then get some solvent and get cleaning.

If the first part applies sorry for rambling.
Old January 21, 2010, 02:14 AM   #3
MagnumWill

I've cleaned all three of my Mosin Nagants this way, and it made them cycle all ammo types beautifully, even lacquer cased, whether hot or not.

Step 1: make sure the thing isn't loaded

Step 2: Pull the bolt out and clean it later.

Step 3: Chuck up a short piece of cleaning rod into a cordless drill, and put a .30 cal brass brush on the end.

Step 4: Put a little lacquer thinner down into the chamber, put the brass brush in through the back of the receiver into the chamber and let the drill run at a good speed for about twenty seconds, working it back and forth like a hone.

Mop out any residue, and it should cycle like new, unless it has some sort of mechanical problem. Just make sure the bolt's clean too.
Old January 21, 2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Hellbilly5000

tHanks for the tips. Now all I have to do is find a new range the guy that owned the one I went to passed away and his kids won't keep it open.
Which sucks cuz it was 10 bucks all day.
Old January 21, 2010, 08:08 AM   #5
jhenry

Using a 30 cal brush on the chamber will take quite some time. I use a 20 gauge bronze brush. This fills the chamber very well on the Mosin. Take the barreled action off of the stock, and use the brush and drill method with mineral spirits. What you most likely have is a build up of laquer from the cases mixed with cosmoline. There is a very good reference stickie on the surplus rifle dot cawm site, and also good information on the 7.62x54R site. Good luck.
Old January 22, 2010, 12:35 AM   #6
MagnumWill

hmm- I would be worried getting the 20ga brush stuck in there, but if you say it works, i'll have to give it a spin if I get any more mosins (which i'm sure i will)
Old January 22, 2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Hellbilly5000

Would assume that as long as you don't push the 20 gauge brush to far twords the barrel I wouldent get stuck to a point you can't get it out.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:37 AM   #8
jhenry

It's not going to get stuck. The advantage is you get the chamber walls real well. You can also shove it up into the neck area easily. Now.. it is harder on the brush than using it in a 20 gauge shotgun, but worth the small sacrifice.