The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Cascade1911

303 Savage Brass (or loaded ammo)

Have my grandfathers Model 99 in 303 Savage and would like to get some brass. If I have to I'll buy it in the form of loaded commercial ammo. Anyone a good source? Haven't see it in my usual haunts.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Quality Cartridge catalogs it at $36/20.

It can also be formed from .303 British and .30-40 Krag (stronger case, but much harder to find). Or, usable, but not ideal - .220 Swift and 6mm Lee-Navy brass can be used for forming (though 6mm Lee-Navy brass is nearly impossible to get).

If you decide to take the forming route - I'll have some .220 Swift and .303 British brass coming up for sale within the next week. My Swift is being rebarreled to .243 Win, so I'm in the process of pulling down all my hand loads, and organizing/cleaning the brass. The .303 British cases are all new, unprimed. The .220 Swift brass ranges from new/unfired, to once-fired, to twice-fired (I have more beyond 3x fired, but it is too brittle for forming to .303 Savage).
Old March 28, 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Shoney

I have used 30-30 brass to form 303 Savage.

Periodically Remington will run a batch of 303 Save Brass in excess of what they load. Look at the Huntington's web site, and ask them when they expect a new batch, that is if they do not have any in stock.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 28, 2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Bush Pirate

Grafs carries some 303 savage brass. Not sure what they have in stock right now.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:54 PM   #5
Clark

The book says not to use 30-30 brass, but I have done it.

The 30-30 brass is not big enough at the base, so if you do it that way, work up some wimpy loads.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?