The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 15, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
bmw2

Question about adjusting sights

I have a Beretta stampede marshal .357 with the 3 1/2 inch barrel. It shoots about a foot low and left at 15 yards both off hand and from sandbags. Filing down the front sight will raise POI, correct? As far as filing down the front sight, should I try to maintain the curve of the sight or just file it flat from the top? Second, am I correct that to regulate it to the right I should have a gunsmith turn the barrel and move the front sight? If so how does the smith know how far to tighten the barrel? Thanks.
Old January 15, 2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Hawg

Filing down the front sight will raise POI. Turning the barrel on a SAA will throw the ejector rod out of kilter slightly. You can file the sight groove wider and hold the front sight to one side.
Old January 15, 2009, 11:36 PM   #3
bmw2

I didn't even think about the ejector rod, thanks.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4
L'derry

Regarding whether to file the front sight flat or rounded, the rounded would give you an apex/clearer point to use. A flat top would make it difficult to tell whether you were holding the front sight level, ramped up, ramped down? Not sure you could tell. But with only one point, you don't have that problem.