The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2008, 11:30 AM   #51
Tuckahoe

Mleake, You are correct and I should have addressed that point in my earlier post. Protection of oneself or a third party from the use or threat of use of a deadly weapon.
In N.C. an officer can use deadly force against a person who is making his escape by use of a deadly weapon. This is based on the assumption that the perp is a continued danger and is actively using a weapon.
The NC department of corrections can fire on an unarmed convicted felon to prevent escape. A pretrial detainee(person in jail) cannot be shot to prevent his escape unless he is using a weapon as a means of escape.
Old March 27, 2008, 09:42 AM   #52
primlantah
Registration in progress

if i was in no immediate danger i would hold off. My reasoning is if the police are coming to stop an armed robbery i do not want to be mistaken for the BG.

If someone wants to line me up or herd me off then they better practice live fire more than i do.
Old March 27, 2008, 10:16 AM   #53
MLeake

Your reasoning is "if the police are coming..."

That's an awfully big "if"

If I heard sirens, I agree I'd hold off. Same if I noticed uniformed people sneaking toward the doors.

Short of that, I don't know that I'd assume the police are on their way. Unless the clerk has an alarm button he/she can press, and has been in a position where they could do so, or unless some unnoticed witness has called the robbery in, then why would anybody in the store assume that the police are on their way?

It's not like the police stop by CVS every few minutes to say hi.

Now, if you were in a position where you could stay fairly well hidden, monitor the situation, and call 911, that's something else.

Cheers,

M