The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2002, 03:33 AM   #1
Popsicle

Browning BPS

Hi everyone. I made a kinda impulse buy tonight... a brand new Browning BPS 12 ga. 28" bbl. I have been looking at other options, namely Remington 870 Expresses and Mossberg 500's, but could not buy these after seeing the Browning. I paid 359.00 for it. They were asking 399.00, but I dickered them down 10% as it was the display model. Mine is the satin finished walnut stock model, with deep bluing. Almost too nice to use for birds this fall! Anyways, I just wanted some input of people familiar with this design, and to know if I got a good deal. Thanks!

Pat Brophy
Old March 24, 2002, 05:47 AM   #2
rugerfreak

Nice gun---just a little on the "heavy" side compared to other pumps. That's a good price if I can remember from the last time I looked at them.
Old March 24, 2002, 06:15 AM   #3
klh8

I have a bps (stalker model).I am more than satified with it.Looks like you done pretty good on the price.
Old March 24, 2002, 07:41 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

It's an updated M37 Ithaca and IIRC a Browning design. Very good shotgun. Great thing is that that design is good for lefties too.

Several friends have them - no problems noted (and I dought there ever will be).

Giz
Old March 24, 2002, 09:12 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good shotgun, good price, enjoy....
Old March 26, 2002, 07:41 AM   #6
maze51

I have owned the Browning BPS for some time now and they are absolutely a great shotgun and great also in a duck blind with a partner. The bottom ejection doesn't get in the way with anyone else in the blind. But alas, I have defected, I just bought a new Benelli, camo black eagle. can't wait for duck season!
Old March 27, 2002, 09:55 PM   #7
Popsicle

Just thought I would update on my BPS. I have not shot it yet, but have tinkered with it. The gun had a loose stock as I got it from the box, so I pulled the pad and stock bolt, added a little loctite, and tightened the bolt nice and tight. Also, I looked at the manual, and it states that only the barrel should be removed from the gun for routine maintenance. That's fine, as I usually only do that to my other shotguns until they exhibit a need for a deeper cleaning, then I completely strip them. However, being the tinkerer that I am, decided to go against Browning's advice and completely strip the gun. I know, I know, I absolutely did not have to, but curiosity got the best of me. And you know what, it really was not that hard... it is very similar to stripping a Mossberg. Anyways, it's nice to know that if or when the time ever comes to strip the gun, I know how to do it! I'll post again this weekend after I get a chance to shoot it.

Pat Brophy