The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 15, 2017, 11:05 AM   #26
Jim Watson

I am with Nanuk, at my level (low end of Expert) PPC with Specials from a Magnum cylinder were fine. But the Masters with their Open guns usually had Special cylinders.

New full size .38 Specials are not very common, but if you can find a clean used S&W K38 or Colt Officer's Model Match, you have about struck gold.
Old August 15, 2017, 11:25 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
the Ruger always rode up in my hand with the shot. Shoot and re-grip.
Which is exactly what SA revolvers are meant to do!

REMEMBER that SA revolvers were meant to be ONE hand guns. Your other hand was expected to be busy, holding reins, or possibly a saber.

The gun rolls in the hand so that the hammer is closer to the thumb for recocking. Yes, doing it all with just one hand means regripping the gun for each shot. This was quite acceptable to the designers and users back when the SA revolver was cutting edge technology.
Old August 15, 2017, 05:00 PM   #28
BigJimP

I have a dozen or so S&W revolvers in .357 mag ( K, L, N frames )...and I don't see any difference in accuracy shooting .38's over .357 mag in any one gun. I reload, so I load the same bullet...158gr JHP for both.

I have one single action revolver ...a Freedom Arms, large frame 5 shot, 4 3/4" barrel built in .357 mag about 7 yrs ago....its really accurate putting out 1" groups ...whether I shoot .38's or .357's in it ...no difference.

I have a Victory model, a premodel 10...and another model 10 in ( .38 spl...with 4" barrels..)...and they shoot very well...but no more accurately than my K frame 4" guns, model 19's and 66's, in 4" in .357 mag, when I shoot .38's thru them.

90% of the time I shoot .357's ...and keep the .38's for the grandkids to shoot.../ ...but I prefer the guns made in .357 mag.
Old August 16, 2017, 11:32 AM   #29
RaySendero

Quote:
Kvon2 Wrote:

Definitely informal...often paper plates in case you were wondering

Kvon2,

That's what I figured, but needed to ask before I could recommend:

IME, I have a 6" 357 that I also shoot informally, but open carry hiking and hunting;
I also shoot 38s in it at times again informally.
From a reloading perspective, I would prefer to reload 38s for targets vs the 357 mag.
The unfilled case volume is less with my 38s.

I looked at several firearms manufacturers, but did not see a current 38 target model I would want. Still think a 6" to 8" barrel 38 would be my choice for what your wanting. I would suggest you look on gunbroker.com for a target model 38 and see if any you like.
Old August 16, 2017, 12:21 PM   #30
NoSecondBest

I had two revolvers built for me by Bill Davis back in the 1980s. One was built on a SW 27 and the other on a Ruger Security Six. Both 357mag. After getting both of these guns back and testing them, it made no difference in accuracy whether or not I used 38Spl or 357mag cases. Each would shoot one hole at 25yds and five shots under an inch at fifty. Case volume makes no difference in getting either one to shoot outstanding.
Old August 16, 2017, 12:31 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Quote:
This will pretty much exclusively be a range gun so I'm not worried about any type of defensive scenario.
I was in this situation a few years back and wondered the same thing. Although it's likely there's little difference in accuracy between a 38 or 357 in this situation, I just went with a Smith Model 67 - a 38 Special revolver, to remove all doubt.

Fast forward three+ years and some 14,000 rounds later, I have no regrets whatsoever. And yes, it's a tac-driver accurate gun.

My school of thought is: if you're going to shoot only 38's, just get a 38 gun. Just my opinion.
Old August 16, 2017, 01:25 PM   #32
NoSecondBest

Quote:
My school of thought is: if you're going to shoot only 38's, just get a 38 gun. Just my opinion.
Thing is, people change their minds later on. Not getting the 357mag puts you in a spot where you can't adapt later. I ended up using both of my Bill Davis guns to deer hunt with and killed several nice bucks with each one. In fact, the biggest whitetail I ever killed I killed with the Ruger Security Six he did. At least with the 357mag you have an option in the future if you ever want to use it.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:31 PM   #33
dahermit

Quote:
Thing is, people change their minds later on. Not getting the 357mag puts you in a spot where you can't adapt later. I ended up using both of my Bill Davis guns to deer hunt with and killed several nice bucks with each one. In fact, the biggest whitetail I ever killed I killed with the Ruger Security Six he did. At least with the 357mag you have an option in the future if you ever want to use it.
Or, as a firearm enthusiast, buy more than one gun. Just like a person would not play golf with only one club, there are different guns to fit different purposes, or do you play golf with only a putter?
Old August 16, 2017, 04:55 PM   #34
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Or, as a firearm enthusiast, buy more than one gun. Just like a person would not play golf with only one club, there are different guns to fit different purposes, or do you play golf with only a putter?
Like I said, I bought two Bill Davis guns....that's more than one. I'll bet there aren't many guys who ever did that. I have a LOT of guns. I still like to keep my options open and not box myself in.
Old August 16, 2017, 07:21 PM   #35
Hanshi

I've owned/fired many .38spl and .357 revolvers. Not only have I never picked up a .357 that wouldn't shoot a gnat's eye out with .38spl wc, but they do the same with .357 ammo.

I have fired many rounds of .38spl wad cutters through my pet S&W M14 and an OM .357 BlackHawk. Both were capable of one (1) hole groups at 25yds. If you ever plan to shoot any .357 ammo for any reason, get a .357 and don't look back; you'll never notice any difference, anyway. There is NO difference between the two calibers as far as .38spl is concerned. If you settle on a .38 revolver, go to the used gun counter and pick up a good used S&W or Colt .38spl. I seldom shoot much .357 ammo nowadays; IMHO it's a rare situation a magnum is needed. In fact, Hunting has been about my only use for magnum ammo; 90% of the time I simply shoot and carry a .38. Get a 4" to 6" barrel and forget the snubbies and 8 inchers.
Old August 27, 2017, 03:58 PM   #36
Ibmikey

Like so many others shooting .38 cartridges in a .357 mag has little if any bearing on the accuracy. I fired in my younger years on our Dept's pistol team and we were pretty darn good, I shot my duty Mod 19 4" and several others shot 19 with 6" tubes. When it came down to scoring in those days winners were the ones who put their shots in the X ring, my little 4" was quite capable of removing the X ring if me, the shooter, would fully cooperate.
Loved that Model 19 S&W but like so many good things it went down the road replaced by a 6" and later back to a 4". I preferred to carry Super Vel .38 Special ammunition on duty over .357.