The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 17, 2013, 02:18 AM   #1
Armchair Bronco

Need advice on FFL transfer gone bad

Hi. Need some advice on an FFL transfer that seems to have gone south.

Been trying to take possession of an collectible handgun I purchased in December, but FFL transfer agent isn't returning calls or answering emails or texts.

Gun was delivered to his shop from the GunBroker seller before Christmas, then was apparently misplaced by USPS for almost a week. The FFL agent tracked it down & we met at a local coffee shop on Jan. 4 to sign the paperwork and get the background check started. I got to handle the gun briefly.

Since then, I've heard nothing. I've sent a dozen emails and have left 10-15 phone messages, but he hasn't responded to anything.

What's my next step?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Armchair Bronco

APPARENTLY SOLVED.

Just received email. FFL transfer was out of town at a gun show in Vega. He said his phone wasn't working. Also said the background check was fine so he can release the gun on Friday when he's back.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
southjk

Glad you got it resolved. What kind of gun did you get?
Old January 17, 2013, 10:46 AM   #4
dieselbeef

my ffl takes 5 min to do this..you need another guy
Old January 17, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
RC20

Yep, never do business with the guy again.

Also check the gun carefully for possible substitution

I would also report him to ATF. I think he broke regulations.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Rmart30

Quote:
my ffl takes 5 min to do this..you need another guy
Agreed ... ten minutes tops for paperwork, and the phone call to proceed or decline
Old January 17, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
sirdiealot

proceed or decline.....dont forget the one that always happens to me...delay for further review...i will get it but have to wait everytime

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

Maybe it's just me, but I wonder if that pistol was sitting on his table at the gun show with a price tag on it....

I'd never do business with him again, just for delay and not returning phone calls. As for 'my phone was broken...', that is a load of birdseed.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The "gun show" is "the" SHOT Show in Las Vegas. FFLs don't get to sell -- it's THE annual industry expo, where all the manufacturers introduce their new models. Everybody who is anybody (or who wants to be somebody) attends, and FFLs go to see what's coming out. Don't criticize an FFL or accuse him of evil intent for doing his best to stay up to date on his business.

Oh, yeah -- the SHOT Show is this week. Started Monday (media day at the range) and runs Tuesday through Saturday.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

Quote:
we met at a local coffee shop on Jan. 4 to sign the paperwork and get the background check started. I got to handle the gun briefly.
I thought they had to do this is their shop or at a gun show only. I did not realize you could have a traveling office to do transfer paperwork.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:00 PM   #11
mapsjanhere

Yep, the local cafe shop is strictly off-limits, only registered place of business and official gun shows. Also the paperwork and the pick-up are supposed to happen the same day, as strictly speaking you might have become ineligible since you signed the paperwork.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
johnwilliamson062

This thread has all kinds of shady and illegal in it.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:19 AM   #13
Armchair Bronco

Got everything taken care of last night and took possession of the gun at the FFL's shop. His business partner was holding down the fort in his absence.

The approval came through after my usual delay (this always happens to me w/ long guns). Then, I think my transfer just fell off the radar. Wish the communication had been better (not sure it could have been much worse), but I don't think what happened was intentional.

Having said that, lesson learned. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."