The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2009, 11:49 PM   #1
greywalker

question on 1851 conversion revolvers- durable?

I have just about sold myself on an umberti 1851 navy conversion in .38 special, as it is just about the coolest thing that I have ever seen- my question is, while I know that they do not recommend +p ammo, how durable are they with standard .38 spc ammo- I want it to be a regular shooter, and am curious as to how they hold up, if they shoot loose, etc..... so if anyone has info and experience with this one, or for that matter, umberti's 1860 or any of the open tops, I would surely be grateful- For clarity I should not I am talking about the new made weapons, NOT the drop in conversion cylinders......
Old February 2, 2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Gaucho Gringo

I read a review on one (I forget where) and in the article the author stated it was an accurate and well made gun. He said if shoot non +P lead ammo it should last a long time. Also he made a funny comment that if it was his he wouldn't shoot black powder in it because when you shoot black powder you should break the gun down to clean it. It was his contention that if you do this a lot that it will accelerate wear and become less accurate where with smokeless powder you don't have to break the gun down to clean. It was the first time I had heard this and just goes to show their are many differing views on almost any aspect of black powder guns.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8