The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
LionsheadDeluxe

Stripping paint from a used shotgun

I just bought a used Mossberg because it was real cheap... anyway, somebody painted the thing with what looks like house paint. I was wondering if anybody knows of a solvent that will strip off paint without damaging the bluing.
Old February 21, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
warwagon

Depends on the paint, what parts were painted, etc.
Can you post a picture of it?
Old February 21, 2006, 11:41 PM   #3
SFV81

on the metal parts go lightly with a laquer remover, just when the top paint is rubbed off dont keep wiping. Why did he paint the gun did he go for the camo look?
Old February 22, 2006, 08:55 AM   #4
BoltWorks

Check first to see if the paint comes off with mineral spirits, paint thinner. This solvent is common in gun cleaning products and shouldn't hurt the gun blue. Be CARE full of paint strippers as they use caustic hyrdroxides similar to oven cleaners which will harm the metal as well as the gun blue. You might also try chlorinated solvent such as "brake parts cleaner" however, that one can harm plastics. Go slow whatever you try.
Old February 22, 2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Ruger4570

I would take the wood off the gun, rather than try a single product to remove all the paint. If it is latex paint, you can soak the metal in alcohol for a day and it usually will remove it. There is also a product called "oops" and one called "goof off" that will desolve latex. You should not have a problem using commercial paint strippers on the wood, but I would hesitate to try it on the metal parts without some experimenting in some small area not visible as it might harm the blueing or etch the metal. I would also remove the butt plate or recoil pad before trying a commercial cleaner on the wood. Best of luck with your project.
Old February 22, 2006, 01:16 PM   #6
LionsheadDeluxe

yea, he painted the whole thing with a brown basecoat with black streaks. Its kind of a cheapie camo job. I think it would look really nice without it. It looks like the basecoat was applied with a paintbrush, im not sure what kind of paint it is and the streaks were spraypainted on. I already tried mineral spirits and goof off but neither one could get through it. Ill try the laquer remover and hopefully that will work. Thanks everybody
Old February 22, 2006, 02:55 PM   #7
webbee

If laquer remover = laquer thinner then it probably will remove whatever paint is on it. I have no idea what it will do to the bluing. Rusty parts may have been the reason it was painted. I would get the whole thing parkerized in the end, after all the mods are done. Remember Mossies have an aluminum receiver which may react differentally. Good luck with your project.
Old February 22, 2006, 03:25 PM   #8
dr.magnum

I had to do this years ago with a Win. model 50 someone painted green. I used a Homer Formby product, but I can't remember the exact name. It took off the paint and didn't disturb the bluing at all. I bought it at Walmart.
Old February 22, 2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Ruger4570

The laquer thinner should remove the sprayed on stuff easily, the base coat, who knows. The wood should not be affected with a stripper though. I tend to think the metal would not be affected with the stripper either, but use a little caution anyways. Again good luck
Old February 22, 2006, 05:13 PM   #10
LionsheadDeluxe

hey thanks ruger, i tried the alcohol thing and it seems to be working well on the barrel and the magazine. as for the furniture, i guess ill try a commercial stripper.
Old February 22, 2006, 05:31 PM   #11
almark

If you're talking about using a commercial paint stripper for the wood, be wary of it taking off the original finish and perhaps the stain too... found that out when I tried to refinish a dresser last year. Alcohol may work but the water found in most alcohol has a good chance of causing the wood to swell if it seeps through the coating. If it's real wood and you're feeling adventurous, you could always strip it and restain/refinish it... not too hard a job and you can work with the wood to bring out any natural beauty it has... or you could strip it and use a nice oil or wax finish and go "au natural".

If nothing chemical seems to be working you can spend some time (a considerable amount of time, actually) with 000 or 0000 steel wool, going with the grain of the wood and stopping as soon as you see the original finish. Don't suppose you'd wanna post a pic or two?

Good luck!
Old February 22, 2006, 07:40 PM   #12
Ga Johnny

mineral spirits should work, you'll have to let it soak for good while, maybe even a few days.
Old February 22, 2006, 08:22 PM   #13
LionsheadDeluxe

well my plan is to remove the paint the finish and the stain... im have a lot of experience with wood refinishing, so it shouldnt be a problem. As for pics, i dont have a digital camera right now, but ill try to obtain one and post some pics. Its really a beautiful weapon and i think itll look really nice when im done