The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 27, 2005, 06:38 PM   #26
RWK

Quote:
"Knife armed felon. You only become a felon when you have been convicted of the offence- not when you perpetrate it'
Sorry, but I disagree. You become a felon when you commit -- what a surprise -- a felony. You become a CONVICTED felon after you plead or are found guilty of that offense. This difference is more than semantics; if an individually brutally kills another person, HE A MURDERER notwithstanding the fact that he is never arrested, prosecuted, or convicted. I certainly understand that the law may not consider him as such, but in the eyes of God, he surely is.
Old September 27, 2005, 06:58 PM   #27
RWK

bdc,

Thanks for your excellent input. You should understand:
1) My belief has always been that the moment the attacker discarded his knife, he ceased to be an immediate danger and, while I could continue to protect innocents, I certainly could not use lethal force to do so, unless he again posed a grave and imminent danger;
2) For your edification, retired regular commissioned officers are not “former anything”; rather, they remain on the retired list of their respective service, are subject to recall, and remain constrained by the UCMJ, even if they have not worn a uniform in decades. I’m not trying to “pick nits” with you here – as I mentioned earlier, I appreciated your post and believed it was excellent – but I thought you might want to learn the facts of this matter. Obviously, this differs significantly from other government retirees and may be more similar to the status of retired clergy, who remain ordained, however are not actively engaged in routine, habitual church business.
Old September 28, 2005, 02:07 AM   #28
SAXD9

I saw the video in rookie school, a man with a knife can get you from 15-20' away before you can draw and fire. I'm not giving any warning to a knife wielding attacker. He better drop it before I clear my holster, because I'm gonna shoot.
Norinco SKS/ Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ
Old September 28, 2005, 08:08 AM   #29
Superhornet

Bang-bang, drop the knife....
Old September 28, 2005, 10:12 AM   #30
Derius_T

Progunner:

Quote:
If he turns and runs, never mind that he threatened your life and comitted a felony, let him go to rob, rape and maim your friends and neibors - thus says "The Law." Makes perfect sense, dosen't it?
No, it makes no sense at all, I agree totally. And it stinks. But if the 'immediate' danger to yourself (or loved ones, friends, neighbors, ect.) is removed, then you have no legal right to use lethal force. Especially on the assumption that he MIGHT hurt someone else. Now if you SEE him trying to hurt someone else, that would be a different story.

I know the urge to teach the scumbag a lesson, and send a message to other scumbags is hard to resist, but they just don't let us impale criminals outside the town gates, or stick their heads on pikes anymore as deterants to other criminals.