The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 2, 2001, 11:07 PM   #1
KilgorII

I've got a couple of handloads worked up right now.

Sierra 165 grain HPBT Gameking doing about 2620 fps.

Speer 180 grain Grand Slam doing about 2360 fps.

I can hit well with either of them.

Which would work better for 200-400 lb feral hogs?

I think either one of them will do fine for the smaller hogs, but I'm concerned about the bigger ones. I don't want to track a hurt, ticked off hog into the swamps and then try to drag his body out somehow.

Which would you guys choose?

I could also load up some 150 grain Remington Bronze Points if you think they would work better. I haven't worked on a load for them though.

Thanks ahead of time for sharing your collective wisdom.

Old March 3, 2001, 12:03 AM   #2
OkieGentleman

From talking to a friend that has hunted hogs a number of times in West Texas, I would think you will want to go for deep penetration. The hide on some of those old porkers is preputed to be a 1/2 inch thick at the shoulders and tough as oak. A heavy caliber handgun with FMJs is supposed to make a good backup gun.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old March 3, 2001, 12:06 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My experience with the Sierra boat-tails is that they seem to have a thinner jacket--at least the 150- and 165-grain.

The priority is less the bullet weight, on a hog. I think that construction of the bullet is more important, for deep penetration through thick hide and heavy bones (compared to deer).

IMO, your Grand Slam load, mild load that it is, would be both pleasant to shoot yet quite capable of adequate penetration.

FWIW, Art
Old March 3, 2001, 02:52 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Second the Motion: Grand Slam 180

KilgorII--

I killed one large hog with the first load you show--Same Sierra bullet, at almost identical velocity. Excellent hit, except he kept going for nearly a minute through some very thick cedar cover. Things were pretty Western there for a few minutes, until he bled out.

Since you have the other load, with the 180 Grand Slam, already worked up, THAT'S the one I'd pick, too.

Funny thing--The only two feral hogs I've killed DRT, in their tracks, have been with a .257 Roberts, with 100 gr. Sierra bullets. Of course, I had a steady rest, fairly short range, and stuffed the bullets into the ear holes on those two.

Have fun--
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old March 3, 2001, 08:39 AM   #5
XXSUPO

look at the hornady 165 gr. spire point interlock.
i used it w/ devastating results this year on a few deer. expansion was awsome and left golfball sized exit wounds on two broadside shots. it's also available in a light magnum if you want a store box.
Old March 3, 2001, 05:42 PM   #6
KilgorII

whoops

I forgot to mention that these were .30 cal bullets. Seems you guys figured it out though. These are being a shot from a .308 bolt action.

I agree that the 180 grain load isn't a lightning load, but it groups well and I don't like to push my loads as high as they can go. No point in wearing my barrel and brass out quicker than I have to. Plus the medium loads usually yield better accuracy, at least for me.

I'll use the 180 Grandslams. Thanks for your help guys. Now to hit the range, zero in, and figure out where it hits at 100, 200, and 300 yards.

Thanks!

Kilgor