The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2014, 01:56 PM   #26
Snyper

To the OP:

Have you trimmed all you cases to the same length?

It might not be a "bullet" problem at all, but rather some cases are too long for the set up you're using, causing the bulge
Old December 14, 2014, 02:49 PM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
If the OP's bullets were "properly sized" there wouldn't be a thread at all

If the die is set up properly also, I see no way it will make the bullets small enough to offset obturation on firing

There are many reasons the OPs cartridges may not be chambering other than improperly sized cast bullets. Chambering problems happen with jacketed bullets too. Thus this thread could surely exist even if the OP is using properly sized bullets.

I stated this in my previous post....

Quote:
Many claim this is due when folks adjust the FCD improperly.
You are just repeating what I said. Die adjustment is critical, but generally not that difficult. This is why many admonish the use of a FCD. Just like standard dies, the FCD can be improperly adjusted. Using the FCD correctly to fix ammo that was made previously, using improperly adjusted dies seems to be it's biggest asset. It's an asset some never need or have not yet had the need. If using it all the time gives folks more confidence in their ammo, then it is not a bad thing. Similar to sorting by headstamp and cleaning primer pockets. While many claim it's not needed and will argue the point to death, some do it anyway because it makes them more confident with their ammo.
Old December 14, 2014, 11:37 PM   #28
mmb713

I use the Lee FCD in all four handgun cartridges I load for. I started with 357 Magnum and a three die RCBS set on my Rock Chucker. I seated and crimped in separate operations and it was a pain in the behind. I set the seater/crimp die to crimp with the die seated to the lock ring and used the included spacer with the 38 Special/357 Magnum die set when I seated bullets. Of course I had to remove the seater plug every time I reloaded and then readjust it the next time I reloaded.

When I bought my 45 Blackhawk Convertible I started loading 45 Auto and 45 Colt. My first 45 Auto rounds, loaded with new Starline brass, wouldn't chamber in two of my revolver's chambers. I got the FCD and the problem was solved. When I saw what a breeze it was to adjust how much crimp you want without adjusting the entire die body I was hooked. I bought them for 357 Magnum and 45 Colt and when I eventually started loading for 9mm I got an FCD to go with its RCBS three die set too.

Even without the resizing feature, which I've read is easily removed from the die if it bothers you, the FCD is a must for me. Being able to easily fine tune how much or little crimp I want depending on bullet type and load and not having to take out the seater stem every loading session is worth the price of admission and then some. And in revolver cartridges the roll crimp is better than the RCBS die.

If you seat and crimp in separate steps and like to experiment with more than just one bullet/load the FCD is a must-have piece of equipment.
Old December 15, 2014, 07:07 AM   #29
spacecoast

Quote:
Kind of makes you wonder how in the world anyone in the last century successfully reloaded without the Lee FCD
People used to live without cell phones too, but I bet you have one somewhere and probably use it too. Same with cars, computers, etc.

Seriously, we all know it's possible to reload without the FCD, and do it "right", but I would think anything that makes the reloading hobby easier (and therefore gets more of us into it, increasing the supply and decreasing the cost of reloading components) is a positive thing.
Old January 6, 2015, 01:11 AM   #30
mr.snakeman

Another solution, albeit a pricey one, is to purchase a Case-Pro 100 (do a Google search). Using the brass collected from several outdoor ranges here in the Stockholm area in over 30 years (all-in-all many, many kilos of brass, almost all in 9mm and most of it the Swedish m/39 B type. Many of the other "brass rats" won´t collect it because of the extra work involved in changing the berdan primers used in the m/39 B-more free brass for me and something to do during these long dark winter nights!), I found that even using a carbide sizer die (RCBS) there would still be a visible bulge at the base of many casings-largely due to the fact that many were m/39 B casings that had been fired by civilians and the Swedish National Guard (until 2007), and even earlier (until 1999) by the Swedish Police in their m/45 B sub machine guns (we use them now in precision and field competition-lots of fun!). The round is also used in the Swedish m/88 pistol (a polygon rifled Glock 17). Very bulgy brass to say the least after the m/45 usage. I found that although most-not all-would chamber in my SIG 210-6 and my two p-08s, only about 25-30% would chamber in my Walther P88-my favorite Swedish National Field and PPC competition pistol. As I have so much of this free brass, I was looking for a solution to this problem. Saw an ad in a gun mag and thought I´d give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did: after running the cleaned casings through the C-P 100 close to 100% useable brass is recovered and when reloaded will fit and feed into all my various 9mm chambers completely o.k.. I´ve never tried the Lee FCD dies but with this solution, I´ll never need to, all my 9mm brass is up to SAAMI specs..