The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2014, 12:57 PM   #51
Unlicensed Dremel

OK, I told you guys I'd come back with what Lewis & Clark wrote about the pronghorn when first encountered in 1804, so here it is. They were amazed at the speed of the critter.

Quote:
Clark—Friday, September 14, 1804

"In my walk I Killed a Buck Goat [antelope] of this Countrey, about the hight of the Grown Deer, its body Shorter... the Colour is a light gray with black behind its ears down its neck... Verry actively made, has only a pair of hoofs to each foot, his brains on the back of his head, his Norstrals large, his eyes like a Sheep he is more like the Antilope or Gazella of Africa than any other Species of Goat."

Lewis—Monday, September 17, 1804

"We found the Antelope extreemly shye and watchfull insomuch that we had been unable to get a shot at them; when at rest they generally seelect the most elivated point in the neighbourhood, and as they are watchfull and extreemely quick of sight and their sense of smelling very accute it is almost impossible to approach them within gunshot... they will frequently discover and flee from you at the distance of three miles. I had this day an opportunity of witnessing the agility and the superior fleetness of this anamal which was to me really astonishing... I beheld the rapidity of their flight along the ridge before me it appeared reather the rappid flight of birds than the motion of quadrupeds.
Old October 31, 2014, 12:42 AM   #52
Barnacle Brad

Good stuff...

Only a pair of hooves per foot? As if...?
Old July 30, 2015, 11:42 PM   #53
ntg

Any recent updates on this bullet in the 22-250. I chased other things last year, but thinking about it again as my boy would be able to hunt soon and I'd like to know well the rifle/load he'll use this first season.

I'll likely go with an easy loaded 7-08, but the 22-250 is tempting if I can get a solid bullet to shoot out of it.
Old July 31, 2015, 08:32 AM   #54
603Country

An update is a good idea. The 64 grainer that had apparently stabilized in my 220 was not stable under all conditions. If your 22-250 has a 26 inch barrel and you load the bullet pretty hot, it might stabilize. If your twist is faster than 1 in 14, that would be even better.
Old July 31, 2015, 01:26 PM   #55
William T. Watts

There is a need for a .700" or less 60gr hunting bullet!!

I know my Winchester model 70 22/250 will not shoot the Nosler 60gr Partition and my rifle is a 1" in 14 twist. I too wanted to take a deer with my 22/250 but I couldn't find a bullet short enough the rifle would stabilize that would give the penetration and accuracy I desired. The 64 grn bonded Nosler bullet is a full .800" long and won't work with my rifle unless I flatten the exposed lead tip which is doable but a pain in the neck to do so.. If I had a do over I would go with the 1 in 12" twist barrel and not have to worry about if the barrel will stabilize the heavier bullets or not. I like the looks and feel of my model 70 Winchester so it's not going anywhere, not exactly what I had hoped for but plenty good enough to keep!! William
Old July 31, 2015, 03:05 PM   #56
603Country

William, let's not forget the 63 grain Sierra SMP. That will stabilize in your rifle, and it's a very accurate bullet. I used it on medium sized pigs some years ago. I probably would not have tried it, but I got invited on a hog hunt. I took my 270, but a buddy didn't have a rifle. All I had left was the 220. I worked up loads with the 63 grain Sierra and loaned him the rifle and hoped for the best. As it happened, I was in a jeep with him when a 120ish pound hog came out of the brush moving pretty fast. My buddy shot him with that 220 and the 63 grainer and the hog dug a trench with his snout. I don't remember ever trying that bullet on deer, but none of the hogs survived the bullet.
Old July 31, 2015, 03:36 PM   #57
William T. Watts

No bullet length info is included in the items description!

603Country thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Sierra bullet and see if it will stabilize in my rifle.. By chance do you know the length of the bullet, my rifle doesn't give best accuracy with anything longer than .700. I have rounded the nose on a number of longer bullets and got them to group better but this isn't practical nor will it produce the kind of accuracy I would like. I wasn't aware the 22/250 caliber could be had either as a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 twist depending on who manufactured it. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; July 31, 2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old July 31, 2015, 05:51 PM   #58
603Country

William, I don't know the length of that 63 gr Sierra, but it is shorter than the Partition, the 64 gr BSB, and the Sierra 65 gr GK. the info should be available on the Sierra website. At one time I had found that info.
Old July 31, 2015, 10:06 PM   #59
William T. Watts

I checked the Sierra web site, length not included!!

I was able to get the length information from Midway (.755"), if it will stabilize it will be marginal in my opinion. I would still like to shoot a few three shot groups at 200 yds to see how the bullet grouped.. William

I will not use any bullet longer than .680 to be sure they will stabilize with my 1 in 14 twist..

Last edited by William T. Watts; August 2, 2015 at 11:56 AM.