The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2014, 09:19 AM   #1
ruger357w

square deal B

I recently gave up on my lee pro 1000 and got a new square deal b for 9mm luger. my question is there a way to empty the primers out of the press when I want to convert it to a different caliber? I'm going from small pistol primers to small pistol magnum primers for my 357.
Old February 22, 2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The easiest way is to have enough 9 mm cases to load so that you run it dry. I've never tried to take the primers out any other way. You can remove the powder dispenser so you just end up with sized and primed cases to charge and seat bullets in later. When you get around to loading them, just pull the brass guide pin out at the powder/priming station and feed the sized and primed cases there.

Obviously, you can also cycle the machine with no ammo and pick out each primer on the upstroke. A pair of plastic tweezers may help remove them without scoring them.

Attempting to disassemble with primers still in the feed tube is going to cause spillage and is potentially unsafe, so I would try one of the other methods.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 22, 2014, 10:50 AM   #3
g.willikers

Did you try unscrewing the entire primer delivery unit and removing it whole, from the press?
Old February 22, 2014, 12:02 PM   #4
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers

Did you try unscrewing the entire primer delivery unit and removing it whole, from the press?

+1 that. That is the only way I know to do it. There is a primer tube inside of the shield that you can pull out after removing the primer alarm, but that seems like more work than removing 3 bolts.
Old February 22, 2014, 05:18 PM   #5
ruger357w

Ok guys thanks for the help. I think I'll just put in it what I'm going to load. thanks again for the help.
Old February 22, 2014, 07:20 PM   #6
reload

I generally run it dry. But if I did want to remove some primers, I'd take the whole unit out (3 screws) and just tip it over and drop them into a container for use later.
Old February 23, 2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

If you do that, do it carefully. There's a reason that blast shield tube is on the outside of the actual feed tube.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle