The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Colt Mustang Lite or Sig P938 - What To Get?

Well, I have a CZ 75B 9mm that I've had for some time and it has sat there new in the box the whole time. I've been trying to sell it, but as difficult as they are to come across I've had no takers. So, I think I may trade it for something different. The shop I bought it from will give me what I paid for it when I bought it new a few years ago.

The reason for selling it is I have other full size guns that I can shoot (Glock, XD9, 1911) and I like to have new small carry guns to try. That brings us to the question of P938 or Mustang Lite. Yes, I know they are differnt calibers, but they both intrigue me. One of the guys at the shop has the Colt and he said it shoots circles around the P238 he has, so, he has gone to carrying the Colt. The P938 is interesting to me because it is 9mm. I of course will think about it over the weekend, but for conversations sake, what would you fine folks do?
Old August 25, 2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Peter M. Eick

It is a wash. You are in the specimen to specimen variation range now.

Handle them both and pick one. I have and carry a 238 as the mustang was not out then or you had to go used. I wanted the night sights so I went with a 238 HD.

Today I would face the same decision. I am not sure the mustang has night sights.

So do you like block sig slides or rounded colt slides? That and the sights are about the difference.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I have Star DK (the parent of Mustang and 238 pistols), Mustang, Sig 238 and 938 semi autos. The Sig pistols are better shooters than my Mustang both having good high visibility night sights and easy to control under rapid fire. The 938 has G10 grips and extended magazine which helps emmensely with 9mm recoil. Shoot each and you will be able to make your own decision.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:47 PM   #4
JN01

On the plus side for the Sig, the 9mm is a better round (and usually cheaper than .380), and the sights are MUCH better. It is slightly longer than the Colt. Early examples had issues with failing to extract cases of 115 grain cartridges (mine was one of them) but they seem to have solved this problem.

The Colt looks nicer, and being a Colt, will probably retain its value more so than the Sig.

Last edited by JN01; August 26, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Olympus

Re: Colt Mustang Lite or Sig P938 - What To Get?

Sights are better on the Sig if you ask me. And you can get night sights on the Sig as well.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
BigJimP

It depends on which one fits your hands the best....and the ergonomics you like the best ( sights, etc )..../ but personally, I'd go with the Sig ...of the two you mentioned ...( but neither one of them fit my big hands very well ..).
Old August 26, 2013, 08:47 PM   #7
KyJim

I would consider three things:

1. Mode of carry -- If you pocket carry, make sure the Sig will fit into your pocket (with a pocket holster). If you plan to carry with a belt holster, it shouldn't matter.

2. Fit in hand -- I'm okay with my Colt Mustang but people with big hands just may not like the smaller Colt.

3. Caliber -- As my signature line indicates, a bigger hole is a better hole. Yeah, I know the bullets are the same diameter but you'll get better expansion AND adequate penetration with the 9mm. There are a couple of decent expanding .380 rounds but penetration is less than ideal. I usually carry FMJ in my Colt for that reason (and often carry my Kahr 9mm with hollow points in my pocket).