The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

Canadian moose

My most accurate rifle is a 7x30 Waters. 1/2" MOA all day long at 100yds.
At 139gr it seems to be a bit light for moose.
Any thoughts?

Otherwise I plan to use my .358 Bellm w/ 225gr Nosler partition...which is a 444 Marlin case necked down to 358.
Old August 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

I don't think 1/2" is required to shoot moose. Any gun that can shoot 3moa in typical moose country is a good moose gun and I doubt many will shoot that bad and still be in your gun rack. I'd opt for larger caliber and not worry about shooting very small groups. Don't get me wrong, I'm an accuracy nut when it comes to shooting, but shooting moose just needs a decently accurate larger caliber.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
The Big Game Hunter

The 7-30 is a little on the light side for moose. I'd go with the .358 with the Nosler Partition. They are big, big animals are are not responsive to lightweight, high velocity bullets. It's better to go with a heavier, larger diameter bullet that can punch through thick hide and bones to reach the vitals. A .358 rifle using a Nosler Partition fills that need well.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:28 AM   #4
dahermit

I hope you do not mind if I play the Devil's Advocate here.

Quote:
The 7-30 is a little on the light side for moose.
Yet, there are many moose cleanly taken each year with smaller cartridges.

Quote:
I'd go with the .358 with the Nosler Partition. They are big, big animals are are not responsive to lightweight, high velocity bullets. It's better to go with a heavier, larger diameter bullet that can punch through thick hide and bones to reach the vitals.
Canadian moose are almost always shot at modest ranges. A patient hunter should be able to place a shot behind the shoulder where there are no big bones, only ribs. Ribs and hide are not a significant barrier to any center-fire. The vitals (heart, lungs) are just beyond the ribs and hide. Big as he is, he is not armor plated. Canadian indigenous peoples have been taking moose with 30-30's and lesser cartridges for a long time.
A local gun shop owner, now deceased (C.R. Pederson, father of nationally know engraver, Rex Pederson), only would use a .243 for all his hunting including moose. He stated that if you shot them in the right place, nothing bigger was needed, and if you didn't, nothing bigger would keep you from hunting a gut-shot animal. Not to appeal to authority, but I have found that to be true, having shot many deer with a 6MM Remington, and an 87 grain Hornady Varmint bullet...a combination that many shooters would claim and too small to be effective.

Quote:
A .358 rifle using a Nosler Partition fills that need well.
If that is what you have, use it. If what you have is a 7-30 Waters, there is no reason that should not work either. Hunting is all about bullet placement. Or, at least it should be.
Old August 26, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
My most accurate rifle is a 7x30 Waters. 1/2" MOA all day long at 100yds.
As I remember, the 7x30 Waters was a necked-down 30-30 that enabled the use of 7MM bullets in a lever-action. Is your 7x30 Waters a bolt-action?
Old August 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

waters

Mine is a 23" barrel Contender.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Liambobbi

A lot of people use .243,6.5x55,.308,7mm-08,7x57 to take moose up here most shots range from about 10 to 150 yards but are most of the time are around 70 yards when u are hunting pre and during the rut ,post rut the shot can get a little longer I've used 30-06 165 accubonds& nolser partitions,also 7 mag with 160 partitions the longest shot I've taken on a moose is 137 yards hope that helps
Old August 28, 2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Paul B.

Never shot a moose and probably at 75 Y.O. never will. However, sould fortune smile upon me, I know exactly what I would take for the hunt.
I would prefer to take my custom mauser in .35 Whelen as it spits the 225 gr. Barnes TSX out the muzzle at 2710 FPS and all the elk I've taken with it have been bang/flop/DRT. I'm positive that bullet will reach the vitals regardless of the point of impact and most likely pass on though the other side. If the OP's gun in a single shot he could use those bullets with their very sharp nose. Last elk killed was at 350 yards so a .35 caliber rifle does not necessarily mean short to moderate range only.
Second reason for the .35 caliber is moose country usually hasa few Grizzly Bears in attendance as well. Don't think I'd want to use a 7-30 Waters against an angry Yogi who just might want to appropriate your moose.
Paul B.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
dahermit

Quote:
... moose country usually hasa few Grizzly Bears in attendance as well.
The O.P. is from the "Garden State", A.K.A, New Jersey. He is likely going North to hunt Canadian moose. No Grizzles in Eastern Canada, only Black Bears, which are not hard to kill or normally dangerous.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:32 PM   #10
jmr40

They seem to think a 6.5X55 is perfectly adequate for moose in Europe. Penetration has more to do with bullet construction than bullet diameter and weight. Pick a good bullet and I think it would be fine.