The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 5, 2013, 02:37 AM   #51
Geezerbiker

It looks like you need to back off the powder for squirrels but I love your description if it...

I picked up a .32" round ball Lyman mold for 10 bucks at a gun show many moons ago and I run them though my .311 Lee sizer for a little elongated bullet that shoots great with 4 grains of Red Dot or W231. I haven't shot any tree rats with one yet but I'm thinking if I kept the hits shoulder or higher, there the hams would still be eatable...

Tony
Old September 5, 2013, 02:48 PM   #52
Malamute

I've used .310" round balls with 3 grs Unique in the 30-30 for small game and grouse, they work great and dont tear them up much.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old September 7, 2013, 02:48 PM   #53
Yung.gunr

My Dad bought on of these http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=45 a couple years ago for my two younger brothers Christmas present. It's in .22lr & 12ga. They never showed much interest and lost the front sling swivel which held the handguard on. I asked if I could have it so I fashioned a new bolt/wingnut to hold it on and cut the shotgun barrel down. I musta checked the length a dozen times before cutting to make sure it was still legal.

The wife and I made a little bag for it that holds the components and about 200 rounds of .22lr and 25 or so shotgun rounds. Got some defense 12ga and some birdshot.

I think it would work out ok if needed, plus the only money I put into it was the bolt/wingnut and the fabric for the bag.
Old September 8, 2013, 09:52 AM   #54
Mohave-Tec

If I had 30 seconds to get out of the door never to retun it would probably be this...

Kel Tec SU16C .223. Folds up. 20 rd mag, red dot, flash hider 5lbs.
Old September 8, 2013, 11:28 PM   #55
Meeteetse

Sorry, no pictures, but if I had to make a decision it would depend on what you mean by survival. If you are talking about protecting the family, that would be one choice, if gathering food, that would be another.

I think my youth stocked 10/22 could provide a lot of small game if there was any. My Mini-14, my 30/30 or my Scout .308 could protect the family and take bigger game. I don't plan on having only one choice and that would include handguns too.

If I stay in the south where I usually winter, in an urban environment, I would probably choose a good .22 rifle and a large caliber handgun for survival. If I am at my cabin in the northern Rockies, I would probably reverse the choices, large caliber rifle and a .22 handgun. These have been my choices long before everyone started talking about survival situations.
Old September 10, 2013, 11:10 PM   #56
Deja vu

These are mine. The First one is to hunt small game and provide food for the family quietly

Its a 22lr with a suppressor and a scope with a custom dial on it that will allow me to shoot quiet sub sonic rounds out to about 120 yards by only moving the dial to the right distance.

My second one is this one:

This one is a suppressed 45-70. If times are very really bad the ability to stay hidden and quiet may be important. This gun can maintain over 1000 FPE at 100 yards and still be subsonic from the muzzle.

p.s. yeah I love suppressors.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 12, 2013, 04:16 PM   #57
Stevie-Ray

This may end up being a survival rifle, not sure yet.

Old September 13, 2013, 07:46 AM   #58
Diesel9

I think this combo are about as rugged, reliable, and weatherproof as it gets (if that's important in a survival situation).
Ruger 77/357 and GP100 .357 mag.

A good .22 probably does have the advantage of lightweight ammo/better small game cartridge however.
Old September 13, 2013, 09:46 AM   #59
farmall

Dont have pics, but I really like my M6 Scout, and the versatility of the Hornet/410 combo, especially if you consider slugs. Extra shotshells carried in pack or pocket easily, and without adding much weight. Same for the Hornet ammo.
Old September 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #60
GunDude123

OR you can buy a Henry AR-7
Old September 14, 2013, 07:43 PM   #61
pilothunter

A .22 is not anywhere near my "survival" rifle profile. Not sure what your idea is, but mine is for "survival". In any area with any type game, I'll choose my Valmet 412 12ga over .308. With any typical ammunition it will take any game in N.A. and also protect me from any game in N.A. FWIW, that's my definition of a "survival" rifle. Your thoughts may be otherwise....

Bottom rifle/SG here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0303131308.jpg (217.0 KB, 74 views)
Old September 16, 2013, 09:29 PM   #62
ThomasT

My choice would be my Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum. I have round ball loads that will shoot in an inch and a half at 45 yards and full power loads that would take some pretty large animals if I watch the range and not stretch the shot.

My gun has the Ballard rifling and shoots lead bullets just fine. Plus I have a large stash of jacketed bullets. Lots of lead and several bullet molds. Cases, powder and primers. I can shoot this gun for a long time. Paired with a shotgun I could hunt for the balance of my life. Plus I would be well armed for defense.
Old September 17, 2013, 10:02 PM   #63
Rob62

For the small critter's -

And for the larger stuff -

And lastly for those rouge Zombie Elephants, Mutant Alaskan Brown Bears, or if we get any Rabbid Rino's around here I am all set -

Old September 25, 2013, 05:56 PM   #64
RED_beard92

MP94: Combo Shotgun/Rifle from Baikal 12ga over 30-06. Cant beat it, you literally have the two most versatile calibers in the world.
Old October 7, 2013, 06:19 PM   #65
2rugers

Quote:
i always find survival scenarios humorous. Each of us thinks when everything breaks down, that we're going to feed ourselves with the little critters. Yet that's what each of your neighbors is thinking as well. There's not going to be a hare, squirrel, groundhog or any other four-legged protein source left anywhere once all this survivaling begins.
.....but two legged mre protein packs should be plentiful and easy to take with that .22.
Old October 7, 2013, 10:35 PM   #66
Stukaman

Let's See Your "Survival" Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Someone should make a movie like that! And in the end the guy looking for the other half of his gun is eaten by wolves. Whaddya think?
Sounds kinda like The Grey only his rifle was broke in two.
Old October 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #67
FairWarning

What is this ".22 LR" caliber I keep hearing about? I haven't seen it in a single store in over a year.

From the looks of things, .22 LR may be to the general population what gasoline was to Mad Max in our dark and cloudy future.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:14 PM   #68
Obambulate

A bow fishing rig would probably feed you better and quieter than any firearm. I love Legionnaire's 22 magnum / 20ga combo rifle and Diesel9's weatherproof Ruger .357s. Awesome choices. I'd probably take a Henry Youth Model lever rifle in .22 magnum for all around use and put more focus on fishing, foraging, and stealth gardening.
Old October 10, 2013, 08:17 PM   #69
Mystro

After thinking the whole survival weapon, my first pick for bullet proof versatility.........a Pre64 Winchester M94 30-30. Ammo availability, durability, fire power, and that it has taken every game on the North American continent. It has a proven track record.
Its the original assult rifle and has protected homesteaders as their one and only gun. One of John Browning's masterpiece can't be wrong.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; October 10, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:54 PM   #70
adrians

Tough choice but if I could only take one it would prolly be this Henry 22 mag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (94.5 KB, 33 views)
Old October 15, 2013, 02:57 AM   #71
45long

22 single shot stevens..with no clip. easy to load quiet cb caps for small game or 22lr for larger game.. and My 44 mag with Hard cast 300grain keith style bullets for bear defense

But if your talking about an end-of-the world thingy where the government is going house to house like Nazis in Germany..I want an AK with an empty magazine so I can stand out on my front porch and get riddled with bullets so I wouldn't have to ride that one out.